Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Well, I was gonna get an Onkyo HTIB...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I'm reading on the AVS forum that they are really bashing the speakers as being junk. Given the price of the 770 refurbed for $350 shipped I don't see economically how it can be that good, but people elsewhere swear by it. My goal is put a projector and 2nd system in my finished basement. It would be used both for movies and for music when people are down there. I have to admit though that a lot of the "music" we'd be listening to is NPR news programs though. Being a basement the overall room size is quite large, but the movie area itself is not and the basement is split with a staircase down the center. If I don't go the Onkyo method, the next option (which is much much more money) that caught my eye is a refurb receiver with the AV123 Rocket ELF system that is going for $699 now. My question is how bad really are the Onkyo speakers and would it really be worth it to spend a grand on something like the mentioned alternative. I have a pretty good system (B&W, HSU, Pioneer Elite stuff) in the family room already but want someplace to go watch a movie on a big screen and provide entertainment when we are downstairs. Sure I could go listen to Onkyo stuff, but nothing is ever set up right a Circuit $hitty. So I look for advice from my DVDTalk friends, or other options I should consider. I would post on AVS, but they are a bit too caught up in bashing Onkyo at the moment.
Old 11-15-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I am currently using the Onkyo HTIB as my 2nd system. I think it's great for that. For what it is. You aren't going to get better for the price. I would consider investing in a better center channel, as the one in the box is pretty weak, but I think it's decent as is.
Old 11-15-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Well, I was gonna get an Onkyo HTIB...

Originally posted by svadas
But I'm reading on the AVS forum that they are really bashing the speakers as being junk. Given the price of the 770 refurbed for $350 shipped I don't see economically how it can be that good, but people elsewhere swear by it. My goal is put a projector and 2nd system in my finished basement. It would be used both for movies and for music when people are down there. I have to admit though that a lot of the "music" we'd be listening to is NPR news programs though. Being a basement the overall room size is quite large, but the movie area itself is not and the basement is split with a staircase down the center. If I don't go the Onkyo method, the next option (which is much much more money) that caught my eye is a refurb receiver with the AV123 Rocket ELF system that is going for $699 now. My question is how bad really are the Onkyo speakers and would it really be worth it to spend a grand on something like the mentioned alternative. I have a pretty good system (B&W, HSU, Pioneer Elite stuff) in the family room already but want someplace to go watch a movie on a big screen and provide entertainment when we are downstairs. Sure I could go listen to Onkyo stuff, but nothing is ever set up right a Circuit $hitty. So I look for advice from my DVDTalk friends, or other options I should consider. I would post on AVS, but they are a bit too caught up in bashing Onkyo at the moment.
Don't waste your time on AVS if your are going to discuss anything from AV123.

A few of the deals MLS has running on his website right now are very tempting.
Old 11-16-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MLS? Can you clarify what that is?
Old 11-16-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think MLS is Mark Schifter (sp?), who runs the AV123 site.
Old 11-16-04, 08:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's worth pointing out that speakers are like religions. No one agrees and they fight over them all the time.

Almost any speakers are going to be ok for a home theater.
Old 11-16-04, 10:52 AM

I just purchased the Onkyo HTIB 770 over the weekend. I've only had a brief period of time to assess. I will say so far that it is a GOOD HTIB system and the best value for the price in the HTIB category.
Old 11-16-04, 03:44 PM

I too just got the 770 over the weekend -- I got it for 360 shipped brand new -- and am loving it. The construction is good, the sound is great and I wasnt getting any distortion even at 50 when shoing off the system to some friends with the first Ronin car chase.

No complaints yet. Seems to me that people who complain about the system are comparing it to other systems which cost much much more. for what yoru paying you cant go wrong.
Old 11-16-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Josh
I am currently using the Onkyo HTIB as my 2nd system. I think it's great for that. For what it is. You aren't going to get better for the price. I would consider investing in a better center channel, as the one in the box is pretty weak, but I think it's decent as is.
I have had my Onkyo 670 (very similar to the 770) for several months now and must say that I have been extremely impressed with the system for the money. Keep in mind this is not a $1000+ system which might sound better. It is a sub $500 system.

Having said that I would say that my only SLIGHT complaint is what DVD Josh said. The center is a little weak and will probably be replaced next year if I can get some free $$.
Old 11-16-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I'm just looking at it in the wrong way. Sure seems like way too much stuff for the price. Seems like getting a mid-level system I can't touch anything similar for less that $1200 which is alot more and the difference could go for getting me closer to a projector. Even if I looked at the Pinnacle speakers at MediaPlay I'm at $350 for 5 speakers, no sub, no receiver.
Old 11-16-04, 08:15 PM

I have the Onkyo 770 right now and can say that the speakers are complete junk. The sub is decent, but the speakers are muddy sounding and lack any clarity. Sure they can play loud, but the sound just doesn't cut it. I am currently in the process of upgrading to a JBL system. Really, don't waste your time with the Onkyo's. You would be much better off buying a decent center and some mains and then adding in rears and a sub later. I good pair of speakers will sound better than a junk 6.1 system any day.
Old 11-16-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, how's the receiver at least? Given all the glowing reviews I can't see how bad the system could be. Or at least I can't imagine how bad all the other HTIB are. This is supposed to be the best one. What are you comparing them to when you say they are muddy? JBL is really bright stuff, is there any chance that they are just warm? I'm quite fond of the british sound which is pretty laid back.
Old 11-16-04, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by dbmottle
I have the Onkyo 770 right now and can say that the speakers are complete junk. The sub is decent, but the speakers are muddy sounding and lack any clarity. Sure they can play loud, but the sound just doesn't cut it. I am currently in the process of upgrading to a JBL system. Really, don't waste your time with the Onkyo's. You would be much better off buying a decent center and some mains and then adding in rears and a sub later. I good pair of speakers will sound better than a junk 6.1 system any day.
Nothing junky about the Onkyo. I think it's great for the price and perfect for an entry system.
Old 11-16-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by dbmottle
You would be much better off buying a decent center and some mains and then adding in rears and a sub later.
I concur.
Old 11-16-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by gcbrowni
It's worth pointing out that speakers are like religions. No one agrees and they fight over them all the time.

Almost any speakers are going to be ok for a home theater.
Agree. Mainly audition the speakers yourself and buy what sounds good to you (and what you can afford).
Old 11-16-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the 760 HTIB (last year's model?) and I think it's great. For under $500 it really can't be beat. One thing I did to make it sound better was to get a sound meter from Radio Shack and tweak all the individual speakers. For $470 I am extremely satisfied.
Old 03-26-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question for you guys...I'm trying to learn more and more about HTiB.

Now, the Onkyo 770 doesn't come with a DVD player. What I'm curious about is this...When hooking the speakers up to the receiver...do you also hook your current dvd player up to the Onkyo receiver? What about television? I'm just curious how the information gets from one's TV or DVD player into the receiver and out through the speakers...?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For a DVD player, the best way is through digital coax or optical. TV: I never have anything going out, sound-wise via the tv. DVD, Sat, Cable, whatever, all goes throught the reciever first. I have not heard sound out of the speakers on the last 3 sets I've owned, over the past 8 years. There are plenty of video/audio inputs on the back of the Onkyo, considering it's price.
Old 03-26-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is a good value for the money; most people at avsforum are snobs, and won't accept anything less that what they believe to be "elite" products.
Old 03-26-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For what the Onkyo 770 is, its a very good system. You have to consider the price vs. value. I have not seen another HTIB for that price point that was near to its quality.

I do not use it but installed one for friends and they love it.
Old 03-26-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nevermind...so are you saying you hook up both your DVD and TV to the Onkyo receiver?

Mike
Old 03-27-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mike

Do you have cable or satellite? If so, that should go through the Onkyo, as well as your DVD player, CD player. XBox, Playstation, etc,

If you are only using an antenna for tv reception, if your tv has OUTPUT audio rca jacks. put them into an input on the Onkyo.

DVD audio should not even connect to your TV (in my opinon) with regards to audio, if you have a receiver.

Last edited by nevermind; 03-27-05 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-27-05, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Now, the Onkyo 770 doesn't come with a DVD player. What I'm curious about is this...When hooking the speakers up to the receiver...do you also hook your current dvd player up to the Onkyo receiver? What about television? I'm just curious how the information gets from one's TV or DVD player into the receiver and out through the speakers...?
DVD sound
Your DVD player has an optical digital audio output (a little rectangular jack) and/or a coaxial digital audio jack (a single RCA jack, colored black usually). Use either one; the signal is identical (coax cables are cheaper; you can use a video patch cable if you want). This connection carries the digital bitsream containing Dolby Digital or DTS or PCM audio to the receiver, which will decode it to the correct number of channels.

TV Sound
If your TV has "Audio Out" connections (a L/R stereo pair) you can connect them to the receiver's TV Sound input. This is handy if you have cable or antenna connected directly to the TV via the RF input.

Otherwise, it's usually better to just connect the audio outputs of each component -- VCR, cable box, satellite receiver, DVR, etc. -- directly to the receiver, as you did with the DVD's. If there's a digital audio output on the component, use it. If not, use the analog stereo L/R outputs.

The HTIB's manual will explain how to use the receiver's menus to select which decoding mode to assign to each input and have that become the default.

RichC
Old 03-27-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dbmottle
You would be much better off buying a decent center and some mains and then adding in rears and a sub later. I good pair of speakers will sound better than a junk 6.1 system any day.
Agreed. That's exactly how I am putting my HT audio system together. A well thought out system will last for years and years. Start with a good amp and 2 speakers that can be used as your fronts or rears down the road. While it may seem like more money, quality audio equipment will still be kicking 10 years from now, maybe 20- it's not at all unusual to see and hear audio systems purchased 15 years ago that still sound incredible today- I just bought my 4th amplifier in a time span of about 30 years, and only bought it to have DTS and 6.1 capability.... my old (13 years) one still does a great job given it's limits. Pick and choose the rest of your speakers as you go. The HTIB systems are fine for what they are, but they aren't going to give you the results that HT enthusiasts tend to want, nor are they going to give you a good investment value. I agree that alot of the HT forum enthusiasts are snobs; I'm not talking about snobbery here- I'm a working stiff- in my case I'd much rather spend a few more dollars now and have something I'm still happily using 10 years from now than to throw down $350 for something that I'm not satisfied with right out of the box. $350 can buy a pretty decent receiver, $500 can buy a receiver and an okay pair of speakers to start your HT with if you shop around.

Last edited by nightmaster; 03-27-05 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 04:08 PM

It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend. It sounds like this is just a seconday system used in entertain friends. If you are wanting to dazzle your friends high dollar equipment then the Onkyo isn't for you, but it is a really good value. I bought one about three months ago and I don't have any complaints. Yes, there are a lot of different systems that sound much better, but I challenge anyone here to come up with a 6.1 system that rivals the quality of thie 770 for under $425.Yeah, you can come close with refurb equipment, but you will still be in the $600-700 range there also.

I would like to think of myself as an audiophile after competing in IASCA events for a few years, and I let a few people convince me to pick up the Onkyo and I haven't been disappointed. If you are willing to spend $1000 or $1500 then I would do that, but only if it were my main home theater system. You are not going to beat the value of the 770 though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.