Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

anyone know an online store that has decent cheap video cables?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm looking for a 10m component video cable. i will be running it from the cable box to a plasma tv. i was looking at pchcables but they only have 25 and 50 foot lengths. the 25 won't be quite enough and i'm wondering if i'll be happy with the quality of the 50 foot length. they do have higher quality cable lines, but i'm not sure if they are worth it. what would you recommend?

Last edited by broadwayblue; 11-08-04 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If you must have 10m then you might need to get a custom made cable. 25 ft is usually the longest length stocked on a regular basis.

Part express has lots of cables and parts if you want to try to make your own.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....25965&desc=ASC
Old 11-08-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i just used partsexpress and was very happy with them

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
If you must have 10m then you might need to get a custom made cable. 25 ft is usually the longest length stocked on a regular basis.

Part express has lots of cables and parts if you want to try to make your own.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....25965&desc=ASC
Old 11-08-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

partsexpress has some nice AR component cables...but they do cost a bit.

if i'm getting a solid picture with a 25 foot cable do you think there would be any difference going with a 50 foot from the same manufacturer? the noname 50 footer component cable from pch is only $45, and i have had good results with their 25 foot version.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 11-08-04 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 07:18 PM

If you are looking for quality shielded component cables of custom lengths, just make your own. I make my own component cables using RG-6 with "F to RCA" connectors on the ends of them. RG6 is the your typical cable line ( as in Cable Television), and you can get connectors to convert from the threaded connection (F-Connector) to RCA. This is what we use in our local Head End at Comcast. Should provide enough shielding to handle whatever distance you need and can be cut to custom lengths. You can also find it in a few different colors if aesthetics are a concern.

Just make sure that all three are cut to identical lengths.
Old 11-09-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bluejeanscable.com has excellent service and prices. They also make custom lengths. I have bought all of my component cables from them. I have also bought parts express cables for optical and svideo they are also decent with good prices.
Old 11-09-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cseyer
bluejeanscable.com has excellent service and prices.
"Excellent prices" compared to what? If you're comparing to M*nster, then any price would seem "excellent." But BJC has 25-footers for $96. PCH has a 25-footer for $45 as noted above. cablesamerica.com also has a 25-footer (Velocity brand) for $40, with oxygen-free copper, gold-plated connectors, foil and braided OFC shield, yadda yadda yadda.

Cables in general are way overpriced and sold like snake oil. I would be a bit more selective in referring to less-than-maximum prices as "excellent." But that's just me, I guess.
Old 11-09-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ice1138
If you are looking for quality shielded component cables of custom lengths, just make your own. I make my own component cables using RG-6 with "F to RCA" connectors on the ends of them. RG6 is the your typical cable line ( as in Cable Television), and you can get connectors to convert from the threaded connection (F-Connector) to RCA. This is what we use in our local Head End at Comcast. Should provide enough shielding to handle whatever distance you need and can be cut to custom lengths. You can also find it in a few different colors if aesthetics are a concern.

Just make sure that all three are cut to identical lengths.

so i don't need to solder any of the connections to make my own cables? i always read about how important it is to have 75 ohm connectors...is that not really important?
Old 11-09-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
"Excellent prices" compared to what? If you're comparing to M*nster, then any price would seem "excellent." But BJC has 25-footers for $96. PCH has a 25-footer for $45 as noted above. cablesamerica.com also has a 25-footer (Velocity brand) for $40, with oxygen-free copper, gold-plated connectors, foil and braided OFC shield, yadda yadda yadda.

Cables in general are way overpriced and sold like snake oil. I would be a bit more selective in referring to less-than-maximum prices as "excellent." But that's just me, I guess.
Compared to similiar products available online (bettercables.com as an example). I would be the first to tell you I have never had a cable that didnt function and that includes the cheapies that have come with some of my components. Its a personal pref on what is good enough for your system. I like bluejeans they use quality cable and connectors and ship them extrememly quick. Im sure all of the cables you have referenced would function fine also.
Old 11-09-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
http://cablewholesale.com/
Old 11-09-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow, nice prices bralph. i'm assuming their "premium" cables are decent...although they don't say that they are 75 ohm (but their lower end ones do so i'm assuming they do.) and they sell 35 foot lengths which is perfect for my system. have you dealt with them before?
Old 11-10-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by broadwayblue
wow, nice prices bralph. i'm assuming their "premium" cables are decent...although they don't say that they are 75 ohm (but their lower end ones do so i'm assuming they do.) and they sell 35 foot lengths which is perfect for my system. have you dealt with them before?
Yes, I bought a 25 ft digital coax cable for $15, and have had absolutely no problems. They shipped quickly, and even included a catalog. Here's another thread, with some other recommendations as well.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=long+cables
Old 11-11-04, 12:57 PM

KNUKONCEPTZ.COM

DECENT CABLES-very cheap

Great for a bedroom HT set up.
Old 11-12-04, 05:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, I've never had a problem with any cables I've purchased off of e-bay, and you can't get much cheaper than e-bay for cables ...
Old 11-12-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gcbrowni
FWIW, I've never had a problem with any cables I've purchased off of e-bay, and you can't get much cheaper than e-bay for cables ...
I'm in total agreement.
Old 11-12-04, 04:00 PM
Suspended

I'm in total agreement.
I third that

I bought 25ft component for $16 and a 25ft optical for $7
Old 11-12-04, 04:40 PM

AVCABLE.COM. Good quality, good prices, and custom lengths can be made to order.