Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is an extended warranty a must have on a portable DVD player?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-04-04, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to get a portable DVD player today from Best Buy. I am looking at something in the $180-220 range. Their service agreement is $80 which will be atleast 30% of the purchase price which seems high to me. I guess if you look at it as $20 a year its not bad. What do you guys think? Is getting an extra warranty necessary on a portable dvd player?
Old 11-04-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts
I don't think an extended warranty (especially one from Best Buy) is worth getting on ANY DVD player. I only bother with extended warranties on very high-end products (over $1000). Chances are by the time you have any problems with the player, you'll be able to replace it with a brand new (and better) model for the same price you would sink into a warranty.
Old 11-04-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never get the extended warranty.......it is a racket. If it is going to break, it is likely going to do it during the manufacturer warranty period.
Old 11-06-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, don't bother with them except for big ticket items that you probably won't be upgrading every few years.
Old 11-07-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also check the warranty terms. It may not give more coverage than the mfr's warranty--they often don't ocver theft, for example. If it's just for defects, then it probably overlpas the original warranty, so those 4 years would give you just 3 years, after the original warranty expires.

In general, with few exceptions, it's a racket and not worth buying. Why do you think the sales people push them so hard????
Old 11-08-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For that price range, no it's not worth it.
Old 11-09-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I disagree, something like that at that price range(my guess audiovox, mintek, colby) is going to have problems. Should it be out of warranty your better off throwing it away.