Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

question about in wall speakers

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-27-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Im planning on getting a plasma and that it would be a good idea to buy in wall speakers to make them the front left/right speakers since i'll be mounting the tv on the wall. Does anyone know the quality of these speakers comapred to regualr floorstanding/bookshelf speakers?
Old 10-28-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Quality in-walls are not cheap.

for example: Triad Speakers

And there is a large contingent of people out there who think that you will never get the sound from an in-wall speaker that you would be able to get from a cabinet speaker.
Old 10-28-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I use B&W inwalls in my theater.

I have CWM800's and like them alot. I am aware that they may not be as good as a traditional box speaker but I like the clean look and the floor space they save.

I am happy with my theater's sound and everyone that visits likes it as well.
Old 10-28-04, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paradigm ON-wall would be another option (I don't own them myself - just throwing it out there):

Old 04-26-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife wants to solve our surround speaker problem for my birthday and suggested we get some in wall speakers. I'm trying to find out what options we have for purchase.

Any other suggestions with pricing/locations for purchase?

*edited to add*

I have an Engergy Take 5 system that I picked up several years ago for $199 and a Powered Infinity BU-120 Sub. I'm using 3 of the 5 in the engergy set (L, Center, and R) and I'm using RCA PowerLine speakers behind our sofa pointing up, problem is we're getting odd noises out of the speakers all of a sudden (think Signals) and they're freaking out the dog.

Last edited by CheapBastid; 04-26-05 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-26-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts
All of life is a balance.

Most of use have to make a "most important" list when it comes to speakers. IMHO, if looks are important to you, then that is important and should not be dismissed cause "only sound is important". Even those that put sound on the top of their list have to make some limitations on $$, looks, what to drive them with, etc, etc.

So to answer your questions: YES you can get some very nice in wall speakers. The B&W Brian mentioned and KEF are amoung the top of the line (IMHO).

As with box speakers there are good and bad. One problem with in wall speakers is they are hard to get a feel for how they sound. You basically got to buy on reputations and budget and hope for the best. Tho most decent places will at the very least allow you to exchange them in a reasonable amount of time.

Another considerations is who would be installing them. If you hire someone, check with them and you likely will want to get something they have worked with before and are comfortable with (tho most install pretty much the same way).
Old 04-26-05, 07:16 PM

I used Speakercraft in-wall & in-ceiling speakers in my theater room, master bedroom, master bath, kitchen & dining room. They sound great and are not noticible. I did complement the theater setup with a sub & a celestion AVC301 center channel.

I've been very pleased.

Sonic
Old 04-27-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the responses, any tips on where to get some (cheap)?
Old 04-27-05, 04:46 PM

Try Home Theater Direct

I have High Definition AL-W80 in-walls setup in my media room and I think they sound good. They may not be Pardigm, but for the price I believe they are a great deal.

http://www.htd.com/inwallspeakers.html
Old 04-27-05, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelland
Paradigm ON-wall would be another option (I don't own them myself - just throwing it out there):

I agree that you should take a look at these. I know they aren't quite as clean as in-wall speakers, but they'll sound a lot better. Paradigm is amazing -- for 5.1 I run two phantoms up front, a cc-270 center, and 2 titans in the back.
Old 04-28-05, 01:59 PM

My advice would be to use in wall speakers if it is going in a room like a living room or family room. I just had some put in my ceiling by Tweeter and we love them. I was putting a media room together at Tweeter and just decided to add those in as well. They are great for parties and stuff, as I just put on the Ipod and have constant music. I did a center on the TV (as I have a RPTV in a niche) and 4 in the ceiling. They are Boston Acoustics and were not expensive. I am going to ad some more outside later int he year...

Keep in mind I was always against these speakers until I heard them. I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-28-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CheapBastid
Thanks for all the responses, any tips on where to get some (cheap)?
Unlike some quality bookshelf speakers that can be bought inexpensively, I would not recommend "cheap" in wall speakers. If you are not satisfied with their performance it is not easy to simply replace them.
Old 04-28-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Unlike some quality bookshelf speakers that can be bought inexpensively, I would not recommend "cheap" in wall speakers. If you are not satisfied with their performance it is not easy to simply replace them.
Good point, and I take it to heart. As I said I have Energy Take 5 speakers for the fronts (L,C,R) so I'm not breaking the bank for my speakers, but I'm not getting crap. I'm looking for a similar route to find a good speaker for cheap.

Also I wonder if there are any that might be a better timbre match to the Engergy Take 5 fronts.