DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Suggestions for good surround headphones? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/385537-suggestions-good-surround-headphones.html)

ENDContra 09-15-04 05:20 AM

Suggestions for good surround headphones?

Ive been living in an apartment for a few years now and have never had problems waking up the neighbors even though I like to watch movies at 3 in the morning. A couple of weeks ago one of them decided to call the cops on me (how neighborly huh?). He told me from what he could see there was no violation, but I have been a little nervous about playing anything too loud since then.
So now that Ive finished my opening narrative, Id like to find a good pair of headphones that can give me a good Dolby and maybe DTS presentation. I dont need a decoder as my receiver can take care of that, and I dont care if its wired or unwired. I do care that its comfortable and affordable. Im not able to tell the difference in the top of the line 5.1 headphones and just a good functioning pair of 5.1 headphones, so the $400 pairs would definitely not be necessary :). Is there anything that might fit this for under $200? or close to it?

Mr. Salty 09-15-04 05:46 AM

If you're wanting 5.1 surround, it's not the headphones you need to worry about. You need something like Dolby Headphone, which is a type of signal processing that works with any pair of headphones. That might mean a new receiver, or you might be able to find an outboard processor.

kayak99 09-15-04 06:55 AM

Although they are expensive, Pioneer SE-DIR800C, is probably what you want but before you spend a fortune on these types of head cans you might want to head to /www.head-fi.org/ and do a search on dolby headphones.

If you plan on keeping your budget lower, there are many other types of headphones you might want to consider. Sennheiser and Grado are a couple to consider.

cowanrg 09-15-04 01:41 PM

sony and advent make headphones that take a digital input, and play true dolby digital 5.1 through the phones. they have multiple drivers in them.

ive used the sony's and they are pretty slick. you can hear stuff behind, in front, etc... good stuff, but not cheap. find em on sonystyle.com

ENDContra 09-15-04 05:00 PM

Thanks for the info so far...I cant tell that my receiver supports Dolby headphone, so Im guessing it doesnt. The Sony headphones cowan pointed out as well as the Pioneer phones are VERY expensive...not in my price range at all. Id like to get $200...but if I find a pair that says it supports 5.1 for less than that, is it still a good pair?

kayak99 09-15-04 06:17 PM

Maybe yes, maybe no. As I mentioned, go to where headphone fanatics hang out online and do some research and reading. I think you'll be glad you did.

cowanrg 09-19-04 02:07 PM

the advents should be in your price range then.