Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Mitsubishi TV help needed

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-14-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok....I have a Mitsubishi WS55807 (I think that's the number)...anyways, it's a 55" Rear Projection 16:9 TV. Anyways, lately....sometimes when I turn it on, the picture seems to cave in towards the middle and the top and also the colors seem off. (kind of like looking at a 3D picture)

It usually corrects itself after I turn it on and off or if I wait a few minutes.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? I have a warranty so I'm not too worried. I got a 5-year warranty with the set, but I just wanted to know what is happening. I'm guessing it's a picture convergence issue?!?!

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-14-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a known issue with Mits RPTVs. The solder for the convergence ICs has cracked or come loose. This is causing sporadic connections when the TV's components heat up and cool down. When you lose connection the convergence gets hosed and no amount of adjustment will fix it. You can fix it yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron or call a tech to fix it. If you get a tech to do it don't let them tell you they need to take it back to the shop. This is easily fixed in your home if they know what they're doing. Also if you have tech do it you might as well have them replace the ICs rather than just resolder the existing ones.
Old 09-15-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....I have someone coming out to look at in Friday. It's under warranty, so I said why not....hopefully he replaces the entire tubes.
Old 09-15-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tubes don't need replacing. Why would you want him to replace something that isn't broke? The convergence ICs are computer chips that control the convergence of the 3 CRT's.
Old 09-15-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, ok....thanks..was not aware of that