Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just got Comcast DVR Moto box, non HD/digi channels are grainy...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 09:41 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the new Motorola DVR/HD box from Comcast and the features of the DVR are great. However, I noticed that the non HD and Digital channels are grainy whereas on the non DVR Motorola HD box, they were pretty decent on the most part. Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering if it has to do with the DVR. I assume that the box is recording whatever you're watching at all times and "plays it back" vs. you seeing the live feed. I noticed the main TV in the family room hooked up to the Moto DVR have a slight delay in the signal vs. the one in the kitchen that is just a direct cable attached. Is the graininess attributed to the DVR? Is there anything I can do about this? I also notice that the DVR box makes a noise similar to a computer with a hard drive that's writing...on the Moto box, this is on all of the time as long as its on.

Thanks.

Last edited by ngp; 09-09-04 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-10-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The tuners in the motorola boxes for analog channels are not good in general. I didnt notice any difference in the digital channels though. Sounds like you may have a poor connection or something. Did you point this out to the installer? You can pull up the service page and look at the signal strength.

I find the tuner for analog channels (channels less than 100) to look grainy on the Moto 6208 DVR HD box. I dont have this problem for channels above 100.

The hard drive is always recording the channel you are watching when powered on. So you can always rewind back to the time you switched channels up to the amount of free space on the HD.
Old 09-10-04, 11:15 AM

I had the DVR with Moto box installed last week by Comcast and the channels under 100 are all grainier than when I had the previous digital cable box. My guess is the analog tuner likecseyer says, is inferior to the digital tuner.

I'm still waiting for them to release a dual-tuner version so I can watch other channels WHILE it's recording though. Other than that, it's worked pretty well. The pausing and rewinding live tv is a handy feature.
Old 09-10-04, 12:48 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm almost tempted to go back to the old HD reciever and forget the DVR...I can't believe the quality difference in the new box!

The best way to describe the graininess is that its very similar to the quality degredation of some DVDs when you back them up...the compression causes some artifacts.

Last edited by ngp; 09-10-04 at 08:53 PM.