Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My new HT setup AKA the Man Room (pics)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My new HT setup AKA the Man Room (pics)

Old 09-15-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
You may want to test your tolerance to rainbows. In a picture with plenty of contrast, I can see them if I violently shake my head from side to side (and I get a headache from doing it), but otherwise I have never noticed them.

I almost talked myself into a 16x9 projector, but finally talked myself out again. The pros were mainly that it seemed more geeky cool, but I tend to do mainly computer and TV watching. My movie watching is maybe 2 a week and the widescreen that the dvd is formatted to is always just fine.

My X1 is mounted almost directly over my head and the fan noise has yet to bother me. I hear it when I start it up and when I turn it off, but otherwise I don't.

I am suprised by the brighter image comment as it is rated at 750 lumins, I believe. But there is probably more to it that just that. I would agree on the connection options. Currently my TV and computer are hooked up full time, which also takes in the dvd player through the computer and the Gamecube through the s-video in the receiver. But if I want to play with the X-box in component video, I have to unhook the VGA for the computer and put in the component with a VGA adapter. I do it so rarely that it is not a big issue.

But truly, I think any system is amazing compared to rear projection, so there probably is not a bad choice. There was a great article on avs about which aspect ratio is best for you.

A person just can't go wrong so long as they go....and then make enough money to quit work and never see the sun again. All part of my plan
Old 09-15-04, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another option is the Panasonic PT-L500U. It's a 1280x720 native LCD projector that's right about $1500 now.
Old 09-15-04, 07:57 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I mostly watch DVDs, so that's why I like the idea of a 16:9 native player. Also, a smaller 4:3 image would mean I could lower the projected image a bit. Right now it's too high to watch comfortably when sitting on the floor. It'll also probably make broadcast TV look better (though it's not bad now).

I've had my 4800 hooked up for about 2 weeks and have watched around 10 movies and 2 discs of Alias s3 on it. The fan noise is more than tolerable, but it could be a little quieter. I can see the rainbows sometimes, but they don't really bother me.

I haven't made up my mind yet though. I've bought but not openned the 4805. I may test it out for a few days and then decide what I like better.

gotapex...I live in Hawaii. I'm concerned about shipping and being able to return something if I don't like it. Costco gives me peace of mind in both areas. I'm also already straining my desired budget by jumping from the 4800 to the 4805. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 09-15-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Give us an update when you try out the 4805
Old 09-17-04, 01:54 PM
Uber Member

Well, I did a little comparison on Weds. night and I'm going to upgrade.

It just looks sharper and the colors seem better. Even my wife thought the 4805 looked better. I think I confused the increased contrast with increased brightness in my previous post.

I need to check some more stuff out, but it really just looks noticeably sharper, blacks seem more solid, and the colors a bit punchier. It is a bit easier to see the pixels though. And I can aim the screen lower because the height of the image is less than with the 4:3 based 4800. It was nice that they both had the same mounting design, so it was reletively easy to swap them out.

Couple bad things: the remote is much less responsive, ie. slow; it has more aspect ratio options so it takes longer to cycle through different aspect ratios.

Now I just need to make a screen and use AVIA to calibrate it.
Old 09-19-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just at my costco, and it had the 4805 + screen for 1100. Seemed like a very good deal. Anyone know anything about the screen? Also, the projector box said 4800, but the sign said4805 with screen. Is the 4805 only mean that it's the 4800 + screen combination? I'm very tempted at getting this. I was just at my friends last night watching the fight on the x1, and realized for the cost, I might as well go with a project instead of the plasma...

Last edited by sideview1; 09-19-04 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by sideview1
I was just at my costco, and it had the 4805 + screen for 1100. Seemed like a very good deal. Anyone know anything about the screen? Also, the projector box said 4800, but the sign said4805 with screen. Is the 4805 only mean that it's the 4800 + screen combination? I'm very tempted at getting this. I was just at my friends last night watching the fight on the x1, and realized for the cost, I might as well go with a project instead of the plasma...
The 4805 and 4800 are totally different projectors. The 4800 is essentially a repackaged X1. $1100 is a fabulous price for the 4805, but only a so-so price for the 4800.
Old 09-19-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk God

See if you can't get them to honor that price. A costco I went to was for $1399 and it was the 4805.

I also was ready to get a plasma and decided on this. Typing this reply on a 100" screen is hella cool
Old 09-20-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was reading somewhere that the 4805 ( I think projector central) has two fans, and one of them never turns off. how annoying is the fan noise?

I didn't see any 4805's offered at the costco. I'll have to go back and look. Does anyone have any idea what the screen is like on it, or if it's even worth it? My friends are thinking about getting the package for a wedding present for two old friends of ours that only have a 20 in as their biggest tv.
Old 09-20-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Mine is right above my head and the fan doesn't bother me. The screen is middle of the road matte white 1.0 gain. It is a good starter screen that probably has a street price around $100. It is a good throw in to make the deal complete so you don't have to buy other stuff once you leave Costco. But it is plenty good.
Old 09-20-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kvrdave
Mine is right above my head and the fan doesn't bother me.
Psst. Yours isn't a 4805.
Old 09-20-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I know. I assume that mine is louder, however.
Old 09-21-04, 06:03 AM
Uber Member

I was reading somewhere that the 4805 ( I think projector central) has two fans, and one of them never turns off. how annoying is the fan noise?

I didn't see any 4805's offered at the costco. I'll have to go back and look. Does anyone have any idea what the screen is like on it, or if it's even worth it? My friends are thinking about getting the package for a wedding present for two old friends of ours that only have a 20 in as their biggest tv.
Two fans? Not sure about that. Perhaps you read that it has 2x 4x color wheel (As opposed to the single 2x color wheel on the X1/4800.)

If you use the remote control that comes with the projector to turn off the unit, the fan will never turn off.

In order to turn off the fan, you need to use the physical power switch, or plug it into a power strip and cut power.

The reason for this is that projector bulbs get very hot and you can't just turn them on and off without letting them cool down. The reason for the "soft off" via the remote is so that you can mostly shut down the projector and then turn it on again whenever you want (this is useful for bathroom breaks, for example). When you're done watching for the night, you hit the main switch and turn off all power (you can't turn it on for a few minutes after doing this...well, you can, but it might give you an error message and you risk damaging the $300 bulb.

Keep in mind that these bulbs are good for 3000 or 4000 hours, and you want to waste that bulb life as little as possible. Also, the fan constantly running may increase the amount of dust you get in the bulb housing (the manual recommends cleaning the interior filters every 250 hours).

The fan noise on both the 4800 and 4805 are both fairly quiet though you will be able to hear them in particularly quiet scenes of a movie, but it's a very low hum and doesn't attract much attention to itself. The 4805 does offer a mode that increases the brightness of the image, but that also makes the fan noise much more noticeable.

I haven't tried the screen, but I've read about others who have used it and they are happy with it. It's not a high end screen, but it will serve the purpose. It's 76" diagonal.

Last edited by Blade; 09-21-04 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

I am pretty sure the X1 has a 2x color wheel.
Old 09-21-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so well trained that I'm not even able to read this whole thread at one time.

But what I saw looks excellent! Kudos for having the space.

Blade: Sounds like you have similar needs for HT discretion in your home. I'm curious to follow your project. Is there a thread?

My wife would prefer never seeing a TV unless it's in use, and to never EVER see a speaker or wire whatsoever.

I might be able to get some funds for this after we Pottery Barn/Bombay the entire house.
Old 09-21-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
My wife would prefer never seeing a TV unless it's in use, and to never EVER see a speaker or wire whatsoever.

I might be able to get some funds for this after we Pottery Barn/Bombay the entire house.
I feel your pain...

I've been told I can't a big TV until "we're out of debt".
When the *&$% is that going to happen, really?

oh, nice setup kvrdave
Old 09-21-04, 03:32 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by kvrdave
I am pretty sure the X1 has a 2x color wheel.
My bad. Fixed it to say 4x vs. 2x.

Y2K Falcon... no thread yet. Once I figure out what I'm doing with the screen and get the molding up, I'll post my own thread.

But you're going to have a hard time hiding speakers from her. Good luck man.
Old 09-21-04, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

SAHWHEEEEEET!!!

I need to upgrade
Old 01-26-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know this is old but I have to say that is totally sweet

Makes me want to upgrade.
Old 01-28-05, 02:52 PM
Banned

i like what im seeing
Old 01-29-05, 09:49 AM

I want to know, is that Hammer Strength workout equipment? That's nice.
Old 01-29-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

http://fitnessequipment.com/pohogymlemuh.html

It's powertec leverage equipment.
Old 03-24-05, 09:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

Dave, I've got two questions...

1) how did you mount your projector

2) what type of video inputs are you using for TV/DVD/etc?
Old 03-24-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dead
Dave, I've got two questions...

1) how did you mount your projector

2) what type of video inputs are you using for TV/DVD/etc?
I used a mount that I bought off ebay for around $60. The main thing I wanted was a thin profile since the ceiling is around 7'6" and I work out in the room as well. Otherwise, I went up in the attic and scabbed in a 2x4 between the joists and screwed into those. It seems like I really only screwed well into one of them, however. Keep in mind that this is total overkill. Projectors don't tend to weigh much and the total set up probably weights less than 10 pounds. I would have felt pretty secure with a drywall hanging screw, but worried that it wouldn't feel secure. The weight was not an issue, however. This does pose a problem for an eventual upgrade. Not all projectors cast the same size from the same distance, so it may need to be moved at some point.

As for inputs, I don't have a dvd player anymore. I use the computer for that because it has a better input and I already use the computer with the projector anyway. Also, this is fantastic if you find hi-def clips that you can download, etc. If you are going to have a computer set up with the projector, forget the dvd player. The TV, and gamecube go into the receiver with the receiver has one 50 ft s-video that connects through the attic to the unit. The X-box is connected to the receiver and has a 50 ft component video cable going to the projector. My projector does not have component inputs so I use an adapter and have to switch out my computer plug when I want to play the xbox. It's a pain, and the next projector will have seperate inputs. And finally, the computer goes directly to the unit through the attic with the 50 ft. cable. The TV receiver also goes out to the computer so that I can watch TV while on the computer via Media Center.
Old 03-25-05, 12:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by kvrdave
As for inputs, I don't have a dvd player anymore. I use the computer for that because it has a better input and I already use the computer with the projector anyway. Also, this is fantastic if you find hi-def clips that you can download, etc. If you are going to have a computer set up with the projector, forget the dvd player. ...
I've hooked up my computer to a TV before and found that the picture never looked as good as it did on my computer's monitor (the colors seem washed out/uneven). Is this not a problem with your projector, or did you have to get a high-end video card to get a good image from the PC?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.