DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any get this rack?

Old 08-04-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any get this rack?

I just ordered this rack from Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product

Just 2 weeks ago it was $136.99, so it's kind of a hot deal.

What I want to know is, is it sturdy?
Old 08-05-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't own this product so I can't offer you any info, but in looking at the rack I was surprised to see that it appears to be configured such that if you wanted to use it only for vertical DVD storage you'd have 5 horizon rows of shelves of adequate size and 1 row of shelves that'd be too short. I'm surprised that the designers didn't make it a bit taller to better accomodate the option of dedicated DVD storage.
Old 08-05-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like this one:
http://www.storeyourmedia.com/Produc...ductid=MA-1520

I can't afford it now but i'll be keeping an eye on the price to see if it goes down or find something similar.
Old 08-05-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yakuza Bengoshi-
It says it can hold 450 DVDs which is more then enough at the moment. I'm going to be using it as storage for all my computer games (130) and my DVDs (126, which take up the same amount of space as 230 singles). I will probably move the computer games else where if I ever get to the point of not having enough space.

roger_d-
I don't think I'll ever have that many computer games/DVDs

Last edited by Adrenaline; 08-05-04 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

roger_d, that looks like another one where you'd be left with a short row of extra shelves if you were interested in using it only for vertical DVD storage. Of the "put-it-together-yourself" variety of DVD shelving I like the stuff from bigcdracks.com especially their grand tower which can hold 900 DVDs. However, I wouldn't go this way because all the "put-it-together-yourself" shelving I've ever owned has sagged, leaned, or been otherwise damaged within a few years.

Personally, I'm using six of Can-Am's 3-drawer media cabinets to store my DVDs and CDs (2160 DVD capacity), but I'd eventually like to have some built-in floor-to-ceiling shelving installed in my home theater.

Adrenaline, it looks perfect then for your immediate needs.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 08-05-04 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the link Yakuza. I'll keep an eye on it. They do look nice.
Old 08-05-04, 02:18 PM

Adrenaline, I have one very similar to this, except mine are two columns instead of three, but made by same ppl and i also bought mine from best buy. anyway, mine is pretty sturdy, as long as you assemble it right. I had little trouble putting it togerther, especially back of the unit. the back is made of piece of cardboard and you have to nail em to the back part of shelves. anyway, i had mine for about two years and had no problem at all.
hope this help
Old 08-05-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sildenafil
Adrenaline, I have one very similar to this, except mine are two columns instead of three, but made by same ppl and i also bought mine from best buy. anyway, mine is pretty sturdy, as long as you assemble it right. I had little trouble putting it togerther, especially back of the unit. the back is made of piece of cardboard and you have to nail em to the back part of shelves. anyway, i had mine for about two years and had no problem at all.
hope this help
Thanks, I currently have 2 half-height bookcases that have backs with the cardboard. Glad to hear it's sturdy as well.