Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What in the world is THIS?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-28-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've never seen this free to air satellite stuff.

I found this on eBay and I was just wondering what exactly it was, how it worked, and if it was any good.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.thesatshack.com/silver-bullet-faqs.html
Old 07-28-04, 11:07 PM

Looks cool---anyone have any more information about free-to-air satellite? I googled it, lots of technical stuff (not for beginners). Anyone?
Old 07-28-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sounds cool but doesnt look like it will work with my set up. hdtv, etc...i think i have wrong dish.
Old 07-29-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I have sincere doubts about the legality of this.
Old 07-29-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks very cool. Could be nice since I won't be paying for cable this coming year. I wonder how you figure out where to point the thing? Hrmm...
Old 07-29-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think I read somewhere about some of the satelite companies trying to get this thing declared illegal. Regardless, there's no such thing as a free ride...as soon as the satelite/TV companies find a way to block the signals to these things, they will - making any investment in them worthless.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 07-29-04 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by drjay
Looks very cool. Could be nice since I won't be paying for cable this coming year. I wonder how you figure out where to point the thing? Hrmm...
You have to connect it to a sattellite, which should be pointed South (?).
Old 07-29-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I think I read somewhere about some of the satelite companies trying to get this thing declared illegal. Regardless, there's no such thing as a free ride...as soon as the satelite/TV companies find a way to block the signals to these things, they will - making any investment in them worthless.
very well said.
Old 08-22-04, 01:53 AM

So...without any, uh, incriminating evidence pointing to you, does anyone have this? How does it work for ya?
Old 08-22-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
So...without any, uh, incriminating evidence pointing to you, does anyone have this? How does it work for ya?
I don't have one (I pay for my DTV), but it works. It's essentially a cable descrambler or black box from the 80's. Free everything.

As a few posters have mentioned, these are highly illegal. People who have been caught stealing DirecTV have been sued by the company for THOUSANDS of dollars. People who have bought FTA sat equipment from legit websites have been issued tracked down by DirectTV and taken to court. It's very dangerous business, and we definitely shouldn't be talking about it here.

Last edited by Abranut; 08-22-04 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-22-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Sonicflood
http://www.thesatshack.com/silver-bullet-faqs.html
Wow. On the FAQs they say no Canadian orders, all prices US $.
Then in the legal disclaimer, they flat out say it is illegal in the US, and they hint it may be legal in Canada (but they won't sell it there). What weasels.
Old 08-22-04, 11:46 PM

Wow. I wasn't really too sure about such things, but I wonder how the heck someone could sell these things on eBay and it's all right, but someone gets slammed for selling a pirated VHS tape of a basketball game or some such shit. Seems pretty fucking crazy to me, and seems that a lot more 'shows' are stolen from FTA than VHS.
Old 08-23-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
Wow. I wasn't really too sure about such things, but I wonder how the heck someone could sell these things on eBay and it's all right, but someone gets slammed for selling a pirated VHS tape of a basketball game or some such shit. Seems pretty fucking crazy to me, and seems that a lot more 'shows' are stolen from FTA than VHS.
Apparently they aren't legal to sell or buy, just use.
Old 08-23-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Josh
Apparently they aren't legal to sell or buy, just use.
or own.

From the "legal disclaimer" at the site above (note tho', they won't sell to Canadians
2) You understand that this web site's intended audience are residents of Canada and other countries where use of test cards is considered legal. You understand that the worldwide nature of the internet makes it impossible to regulate the audience and it is possible to access this web site in countries where use of test cards is illegal. You understand that it is your responsibility to check your local laws before committing any information on this website for any given practical use. We do NOT condone signal theft and you are absolutely prohibited from putting ANY information on this site to any illegal use. Any individuals indicating illegal intent are subject to loss of any and all privileges given to them by this web site.

3) You understand that use, possession, distribution, manufacture or importation of test cards is illegal in the United States. If you are a U.S. resident, you are required by law to subscribe and the use or sale of test cards of any kind is unlawful and constitutes signal theft and is subject to criminal and civil penalties according to U.S. law. We do not condone the use or sale of test cards to U.S. residents. In addition, use of test cards may also be considered illegal in any country or jurstiction where the U.S. based services of DirecTV Inc. and Echostar Communications Corp, in specific, The Dish Network can legally and lawfully distribute their signals, either directly or indirectly and make said signals available for purchase to consumers on a subscription basis.