Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is it bad to keep on unplugging and replugging in my Sony TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-28-04, 01:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I do this because my tv is on a swivel and sits on a cabinet above my entertainment system (The TV is a 27" Sony Flat screen Trinitron). When I swivel it to the direction I am facing it picks up this weird discoloration in the corners from magnestism or something like that. I know this because I asked about it once in a forum like this and was told. I was also told that this is somewhat normal. Is that true?

Therefore, I must unplu the set while it is on and have ot off for a few seconds and replug it in. This does something to reset and basically wipes away the discoloration. But, I swivel my tv constantly and it always happens thus the same process over and over.

Anyone ever come across this and have done similar? And basically, over the life of the TV is this harmful to do? It would seem to me that it would. Please let me know any and all thoughts and if there is something less harmful I can do. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes it is bad to keep unplugging it.

The colors are from speakers that are too close to the set. They are not shielded and will eventually damage the tube.

I would move the speakers and stop the unplugging.
Old 07-28-04, 03:29 PM

How do I movie the speakers? It is placed so I have surround and really they are a good 3 feet from tv in both directions, except center which is right under. Is that what is doing it, the center speaker right under? Would it do this if the system was turned completely off and no juice is running through the speakers because the discoloration happens when the system is always off. Let me know, but there really isn't another place I can place. Thanks for this help.
Old 07-28-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The discoloration is going to happen at the point where an unshielded magnet is nearest the tube. Since you said corners I would take that to mean the front left and right speakers.

You could try moving the center away just to do a test and then try the swivel and see what happens. If it is the center you are going to need to buy a shielded center channel. If it is the fronts then you will need to move them further away or buy new ones.

Sorry for the bad news, the constant degaussing and magnetizing the tube of the tv is bad for it.
Old 07-28-04, 04:23 PM

Well, it does happen when the tv swivels in the direction of each of the left and right speakers, but they are mini-Sony nothing speakers that came with my HT in a box.
Is there nothing I can buy, like a protector to shield. I don't have the funds to purchase new and can't really move them any further away (they are 3ft.) simply because it is all in a very small room. Thanks again for all this help and no worries about the news. Not your fault, but I also heard that the degaussing thing isn't that harmful to a tv?
Old 07-28-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably the speakers, but in theory it could be a magnetic latch on the cabinet.

Yes, the speakers will do this even when they are turned off, because they have large magnets in them.

You shouldn't need to unplug the TV to deguass it. Most built-in degaussers work automatically when you turn the TV on.

If the problem is the speakers (hint: disconnect them and remove them and swivel the TV around and see if it discolors), you really need to move them or replace them with better-shielded ones, regardless of how small the room is.
Old 07-28-04, 04:58 PM

mr. s...i did disconnect and swiveled and it still discolored. i don't know about the self degaussing. it is a fairly new Wega Sony so I am not sure. i just know when i unplug and don't swivel, perfectly normal.
Old 07-28-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To degauss your Sony TV... Make sure TV is off, press & hold the power button (on the TV) down for 10 seconds.

I've owned Sony TV's for years and this worked with them all, including my sisters WEGA that she bought last year.
Old 07-29-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott1598
i did disconnect and swiveled and it still discolored.
You disconnected, but did you physically move the speakers away from the TV?

If you did and the screen still discolored, then the speakers aren't the problem. If you just disconnected the speakers, the magnets in the speaker coils will still magnetize the screen.
Old 07-29-04, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Sonicflood
To degauss your Sony TV... Make sure TV is off, press & hold the power button (on the TV) down for 10 seconds.

I've owned Sony TV's for years and this worked with them all, including my sisters WEGA that she bought last year.
that definitely doesn't degauss my tv.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-30-04 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that definitely doesn't degauss a tv.
I may not happen every time this is done. A degauss is usually denoted by a strange sound from the tv when turned on.
Old 07-29-04, 07:04 PM

What kind of sound? So the tv is on, then I press the on/off button, while depressed (tv goes off) I keep pressed for 10 seconds and that is supposed to do it? and then a sound? i'll try, but i did just that and still gauss.

so tell me does the discoloration, which by all accounts is very slight and only appears in one corner, is that bad for the tv, for instance if i don't degauss by unplugging, plugging back in...if i just leave it and try not to let it bother me?
thanks for all this help, peeps!
Old 07-29-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

that definitely doesn't degauss a tv.
TV should be OFF! I said that in my post. Hey, just offering help, take it or leave it!

As I stated in my original post, this worked for ALL of the Sony TV's I've owned and been around. I learned this from an ISF calibration guy. If you'll be so kind as to provide the model number of your set, I'll see if I can get you a model-specific answer! There may be a setting in the service menu to address this. If nothing else, you can correct the red-push that Sony's are so famous for.

I had a problem with my last Sony, where there was a greenish tint in the upper left corner. An occasional manual degauss as I stated, cured the problem for me. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by Sonicflood; 07-29-04 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
What kind of sound? So the tv is on, then I press the on/off button, while depressed (tv goes off) I keep pressed for 10 seconds and that is supposed to do it? and then a sound? i'll try, but i did just that and still gauss.

so tell me does the discoloration, which by all accounts is very slight and only appears in one corner, is that bad for the tv, for instance if i don't degauss by unplugging, plugging back in...if i just leave it and try not to let it bother me?
thanks for all this help, peeps!
The discoloration will not hurt the TV which really doesn't care (except for "way too bright") what image it is displaying. If it doesn't bother you, ignore it as that is probably better for tv than constantly degaussing it, and powering/depowering tube filament.

I'm still not sure I understand the setup. Does the center speaker swivel with the tv or stay put? If it is fixed and tv swivels, it is most likely cause. But even the earth has a magnetic field (pretty weak). When you swivel tv, theoretically the new position relative to earth's magnetic field changes the alignment. This is should be pretty small. But any magnetic field, whether from a magnet or an electromagnet (speakers, clocks, motors) will affect picture. When you move tv, you are affecting by how much it affects picture. Your tv internally uses magnetic fields to deflect the electrons to the right place on the screen, an external magnetic field adds to this and sends them to the wrong place; no harm done except it looks like crap.
Old 07-30-04, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Sonicflood
TV should be OFF! I said that in my post. Hey, just offering help, take it or leave it!

As I stated in my original post, this worked for ALL of the Sony TV's I've owned and been around. I learned this from an ISF calibration guy. If you'll be so kind as to provide the model number of your set, I'll see if I can get you a model-specific answer! There may be a setting in the service menu to address this. If nothing else, you can correct the red-push that Sony's are so famous for.

I had a problem with my last Sony, where there was a greenish tint in the upper left corner. An occasional manual degauss as I stated, cured the problem for me. Your mileage may vary...

KV-27FV300 is the model.

If my TV is off, pushing the power button automatically turns it back on I can't leave it off and keep it off while depressing the power button, so I guess I am a little confused.
Yes, I get the dame greenish/purplish tint in the left corner. Please help some more I would like to fix this easily without unplugging and can't move the speakers unfortunately.

I think it is the earth because i have disconnected speakers and taken them away from tv. they are mini little nothing sony speakers anyway with maybe 50 watts each.
Old 07-30-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not the wattage. Speakers have strong magnets in them.

I'll try to clarify what Sonicflood wrote. Start with your TV turned off, then turn it on, holding the power button down for 10 seconds when doing so. You were starting with the TV turned on, then turning it off.

I'll ask again, is there any sort of magnetic latch on your entertainment center? Nearby electrical wiring or other electrical devices?
Old 07-30-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scott: First, rule out any kind of nearby magnet... Then turn your tele once, get the discoloration and leave it that way... If it's the magnetic field of the Earth, the discoloration will fade / go away in a few days... If it doesn't fade or go away completely, it's something else... I've seen this discoloration happen on 36" tubes when they are first moved but not on a smaller tube. Doesn't mean that it can't happen though. Also, are there any geometry problems when you swivel the tele? Take a good long look at your letterbox geometry... Pop in a 2.35:1 film and look at the black bars, are they straight? Now turn the set, have they changed at all? Slanted perhaps? Bowed at all? If so, that's the Earth's magnetic field.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 07-30-04 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so tell me does the discoloration, which by all accounts is very slight and only appears in one corner, is that bad for the tv, for instance if i don't degauss by unplugging, plugging back in...
Yes it is bad. Over time it may become permanent.

Unfortunately, often what happens is the very proximity of the magnet causes some parts of the monitor (or TV) tube to become magnetized so that a remnant or residual magnetic field exists even after the magnet is removed. So, the effect becomes, in a sense, permanent. It may be possible to "repair" the damage but it involves de-magnetizing the tube, a costly and not always successful endeavor.
http://courses.science.fau.edu/~rjor...Q_A/ans_14.htm
Old 07-30-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's strange that the AVS Forum information says that demagnetizing a picture tube is costly. I've never seen anyone charge more than about $15. It's a pretty simple procedure, except maybe in a case where part of the electron gun at the back of the set has been affected. But the screen itself is a cheap fix.
Old 07-30-04, 10:34 PM

When I first got my Tv, the setup-men showed me how that turning the Tv with it on would cause the picture to discolor and distort, from the earths magnetic feild. i had no external speakers at all in the room.
Old 07-31-04, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by flair1111
When I first got my Tv, the setup-men showed me how that turning the Tv with it on would cause the picture to discolor and distort, from the earths magnetic feild. i had no external speakers at all in the room.
other than not turning it, did they say how to prevent?
Old 07-31-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

other than not turning it, did they say how to prevent?
Although in theory this is possible I have never, ever heard of this happening or have seen it happen. Look at how close a magnet needs to be to a screen to hav an effect. We would all be dead from a magnetic field that caused video displays problems.

On to another subject however, the earth's magnetic field will cause the picture to bend ever so slightly. Some TV's have an adjustment to tilt the picture slightly on way or another. This is perhaps what they meant to say.
Old 08-24-04, 10:39 AM

just to give you guys the final update...i found out that even if i turn my tv off for a few seconds with my remote, the degauss works!! so thus swivel all i want and no more unplugging and stuff, just click and click and i am good to go.
thanks to all who helped work me through this problem.
Static