Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Trouble with Cable HD

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Trouble with Cable HD

Old 07-12-04, 12:00 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
ivelostr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 4,881
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trouble with Cable HD

I recently got Armstrong Cable HD but I'm having problems.

People who have HD through Cable and Sat, when watching ESPNHD, does it fill your screens? I have never gotten it before so I don;t know. Is it letterboxed for sportscenter, but full 16x9 for games.
I have a HDTV, and I have gotten ABC over the air before in HD, and it filled my 16x9 screen, but through the cable box, all my HD channels are letterboxed. I can zoom, but it cuts off a little at the top and bottom and it looks weird, why would I pay for a clearer picture to have it look weird.
I messed with the menu options, it was already set to 16x9, so I changed it to 4:3 letter box and it looked the same, so I changed it to 4:3 Panscan and it did change to fill the 4:3 screen. So does that mean, in those options it changes nothing between the 16x9 and 4:3 letterbox? That's what it looks like to me.


I'm just wondering if this is common for cable companies, or if mine just sucks, or if I'm doing something wrong.
Old 07-12-04, 04:04 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dublin, CA
Posts: 2,102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESPNHD is kind of a scam.

they offer SOME of their programs in 1080i like sportscenter (recently). but most of their other programs like WSOP, baseball tonight, etc... are standard def upconverted to HD.

you'll see those annoying grey bars on the left and right sides... retarded.
Old 07-12-04, 05:15 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
ivelostr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 4,881
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by succubiss
ESPNHD is kind of a scam.

they offer SOME of their programs in 1080i like sportscenter (recently). but most of their other programs like WSOP, baseball tonight, etc... are standard def upconverted to HD.

you'll see those annoying grey bars on the left and right sides... retarded.
all of my HD channels are like that though...
Old 07-12-04, 06:24 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,339
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by ivelostr2
all of my HD channels are like that though...
Sounds to me like a settings conflict between the HD receiver and your tv.

ESPN HD is absolutely awful however.
Old 07-13-04, 07:16 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Trouble with Cable HD

Originally posted by ivelostr2
and it filled my 16x9 screen, but through the cable box, all my HD channels are letterboxed. I can zoom, but it cuts off a little at the top and bottom and it looks weird, why would I pay for a clearer picture to have it look weird.
I messed with the menu options, it was already set to 16x9, so I changed it to 4:3 letter box and it looked the same, so I changed it to 4:3 Panscan and it did change to fill the 4:3 screen.

I'm confused do you have a 16 x 9 screen or a 4:3 screen? I have a 4:3 screen and a Motorola 6208 cable box, it is set to 4:3 tv, analog and normal digital cable channels fill the screen, HD channels have black bars above and below any programming and 4:3 programming also has black/grey bars on the sides (put their by the broadcaster not the tv or the cable box).
Old 07-13-04, 11:12 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,484
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
99% of the programming on ESPN-HD is standard-def 4:3 that has been stretched sideways to fill a 16:9 screen. The stretch is performed by the network and is not adjustable by the user. It looks awful.
Old 07-13-04, 11:15 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,556
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
99% of the programming on ESPN-HD is standard-def 4:3 that has been stretched sideways to fill a 16:9 screen. The stretch is performed by the network and is not adjustable by the user. It looks awful.
I think ESPN stopped stretching their non-HD stuff this past month...now we get the logo bars on the right and left for non-HD shows.
Old 07-14-04, 12:05 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
ivelostr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 4,881
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Trouble with Cable HD

Originally posted by cseyer
I'm confused do you have a 16 x 9 screen or a 4:3 screen? I have a 4:3 screen and a Motorola 6208 cable box, it is set to 4:3 tv, analog and normal digital cable channels fill the screen, HD channels have black bars above and below any programming and 4:3 programming also has black/grey bars on the sides (put their by the broadcaster not the tv or the cable box).
I have a 16x9 screen, but the image is 4:3, if I adjust any of the digital channels using the zoom, it is stretched. NO adjustments I make to the cable box will make it fit my screen and look normal.
Old 07-14-04, 01:37 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 1,953
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Trouble with Cable HD

Originally posted by ivelostr2
I have a 16x9 screen, but the image is 4:3, if I adjust any of the digital channels using the zoom, it is stretched. NO adjustments I make to the cable box will make it fit my screen and look normal.
You are using Component cables (or DVI if you have a LCD Plasma HDTV) from the cable box to the HDTV aren't you? If you are using S-Video or Composite that is your problem. Believe me cable installers are stupid enough to hook up only S-Video or Composite cables even though you get NO HD from those cables.

Also be sure you are on the actual HD channels. ESPN-HD is NOT the same channel as ESPN in SD. Some people assume that getting the cable HD box means that ESPN, HBO etc.. channels used on SD cable boxes is now going to be in HD when in fact the HD version of all these channles will be different channels all together.
Old 07-14-04, 07:01 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank S has given very good advice, there should be a seperate set of channels that are HD, on my box they are in the 700's. The connections must also be able to support the High Def signal. Also double check the cable box setup to ensure it is outputting at 1080i.
Old 07-14-04, 09:09 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,484
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I think ESPN stopped stretching their non-HD stuff this past month...now we get the logo bars on the right and left for non-HD shows.
Oh great, even better.
Old 07-14-04, 09:54 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
ivelostr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 4,881
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Trouble with Cable HD

Originally posted by Frank S
You are using Component cables (or DVI if you have a LCD Plasma HDTV) from the cable box to the HDTV aren't you? If you are using S-Video or Composite that is your problem. Believe me cable installers are stupid enough to hook up only S-Video or Composite cables even though you get NO HD from those cables.

Also be sure you are on the actual HD channels. ESPN-HD is NOT the same channel as ESPN in SD. Some people assume that getting the cable HD box means that ESPN, HBO etc.. channels used on SD cable boxes is now going to be in HD when in fact the HD version of all these channles will be different channels all together.
thank you, it was s-video that I have been using, I never thought of that after the fact, the cable guy had originally used s-video and I never changed it. A guy a best buy said today that armstong is only 480p too, so my tv might not realize it is HD when recieving the signal. I am going to try the component cables now, and I will get back to you...


Nick
Old 07-14-04, 10:33 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 1,075
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If what the Best Buy guy said is true; that your cable company is only 480p then you don't have any HD signals. HDTV is only 720p or 1080i. 480p is EDTV and doesn't need to be 16:9.
Old 07-14-04, 11:04 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 1,953
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As stated above 480p is NOT HD and I have never heard of a cable company doing "only 480p". It's usually just 480i/SD or full 720p or 1080i HD. Although 480p does also require Component cables to transfer it to your HDTV which is why all Progressive Scan DVD players require Component cables to pass the progressive (480p) signal as well.

Considering the source (a Best Buy employee) I wouldn't doubt this person is uninformed and you do indeed have HD.

Did you actually request and have an HD cable box installed (and are paying extra for it) ? If so, there is NO WAY they would be doing just 480p then. It would be a waste of an HD box and a waste of your extra money for the HD cable box. Maybe this BB salesman was referring to FOX's channel which is currently only 480p, but CBS, PBS, and NBC are 1080i and ABC (and soon FOX) are/will be 720p. Or maybe the BB employee is a total nimrod!
Old 07-15-04, 12:05 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
ivelostr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 4,881
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, here's what's going on.
1. I do have an HD box but...
2. When the guy who hooked up my box did, he used s-video and set the box to only use 480i because it was the only setting that would work (I now assume this is because he was using the S-video). He tried the others, but they would only give blank screens, so he told me that they didn't work yet. I figured he must know what he was doing and saying.
3. I hooked up the component cables, at first they wouldn't give a picture, but after about 20 minutes of trying different things I decided to try blue in the green and green in the blue and it worked. So i guess the outs on the box are messed up.
4. This still gave me no 16x9 image, it was still letterboxed in a 4:3 box. I went into the settings on the box and changed it to 1080i, I checked the HD channels and they worked. HBO / MAX / and SHO fill the screen and espn's frame is filling the screen now too. Great!!
5. I did try the other settings too, 720 doesn't work at all, only static on the screen. I don;t really know what that means, but I'm just happy I now get actual HDTV.

thank you all for the help, I knew if I asked here I would better answers than calling the cable company...

NIck

PS, i don;t even get fox HD.
Old 07-15-04, 12:50 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 1,953
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do NOT want to try 720p since your HDTV will not be able to handle that resolution. It is a 1080i HDTV only. Of course it does except 480i and 480p.

Happy HD viewing!

P.S. I knew the BB employee was a NIMROD! I think it's a requirement for employment!
Old 07-29-04, 08:32 PM
  #17  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comcast installers are right down there with BB employees. It took two tries to get the Comcast HD DVR to work. I ended up doing all of the set up. Thanks to HD and broadband, Comcast is now getting a big wad of my money every month.

I wonder how much more expansion these companies can expect when their customers have to do all the techical work themselves?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.