DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Stand for 55 inch Mits? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/372957-stand-55-inch-mits.html)

NEUMANN 07-03-04 11:14 AM

Stand for 55 inch Mits?

I have a 55 inch widescreen mits silver series and would like to raise it up a foot or two,i have never seen a tv stand that even comes close to doing this,most tv stands max out at a 40 inch tv,i was thinking maybe a big coffe table(though i dont know if it could support the 270 lb weight).Is there any kind of product out there that would be good to raise a 55 inch tv or even a product that was not made to do that but would work anyway?

drmoze 07-04-04 09:15 PM

Cinder blocks? (Paint them black!) Just make sure that whatever you use solidly supports the wheels, and maybe wedge small pieces of rubber or something to keep the tv from moving/rolling off.

NEUMANN 07-04-04 10:54 PM

Ouch,cinder blocks,that would take me back to my younger days thats for sure lol,don't think that would look to good in the living room, just can't figure out what to do to raise it,and the wheels at the bottom(i figure it must have some kind of rollers because it slides around so easily,though i have never actually looked at the bottom of the tv)make it even harder to figure out some way to raise it a couple feet.

chipmac 07-05-04 12:55 PM

I also own a 55" Mits and watch while sitting slightly reclined or not in my HT seats. My understanding is that for proper brightness levels and focus your eyes should be near or at center level with the screen. If you were to raise your TV 1 or 2 feet and your eyes were forced to look up at the screen you'll be decreasing your PQ. On the other hand you might be 7 feet tall and need to raise the TV on order to bring it up to eye level.

NEUMANN 07-05-04 05:49 PM

Originally posted by chipmac
I also own a 55" Mits and watch while sitting slightly reclined or not in my HT seats. My understanding is that for proper brightness levels and focus your eyes should be near or at center level with the screen. If you were to raise your TV 1 or 2 feet and your eyes were forced to look up at the screen you'll be decreasing your PQ. On the other hand you might be 7 feet tall and need to raise the TV on order to bring it up to eye level.
Well i sit on office type swivel chairs when i watch mine(not on a reclined recliner) and right now my focus of eye is at the top of the tv,that is why i am looking to boost it a foot or 2(and no i am not 7 feet tall lol

Sdallnct 07-05-04 08:27 PM

I have seen a couple at high end video stores, but the cost is silly.

Why not do the cinder blocks then "frame" them in paneling, or something like that.

nazz 07-17-04 07:03 PM

Why not just get new chairs?

Mopower 07-17-04 11:04 PM

Buy some wood and build your own. It would be easy to do. Just build a box the width of your TV and the height you want. Then paint it black or cover it with fabric or carpet.