Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What is LFE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 06:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is LFE?

on my receiver it says LFE, what is that? Can/how can I get rid of it?
Old 06-29-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a receiver virus. Either get an antivirus DVD and play it through the receiver, or take it down to a repair shop and have it cleaned IMMEDIATELY!!!!

(Don't play any rental discs thru the receiver or you can spread it to other people's hardware....)
Old 06-29-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OTOH, maybe you can just take a knife or some steel wool and scrape the LFE off of the receiver. That should get rid of it.
Old 06-29-04, 06:59 PM
Cool New Member

what does it mean really/
Old 06-29-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LFE = Low Frequency Effects channel. It is the .1 in DD 5.1. It only contains bass information.
Old 06-29-04, 07:04 PM
Cool New Member

can it be removed?
Old 06-29-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'm not sure what your question is. What do you mean by removed? When your receiver decodes a signal, that is one of the channels of information. It would normally be fed to the subwoofer output.

Can you describe your situation/receiver in more detail?
Old 06-29-04, 07:19 PM

Perhaps you are confusing LFE with something else? As I understand it, LFE is the channel that plays through your subwoofer. For instance, depending on the mode I put my receiver in, it shows either S.Woofer or LFE on the display. It also depends on the way the audio is encoded on the disc you are playing, whether you get and LFE indicator. The bottom line is, LFE is a good thing and you shouldn't want to get rid of it.
Old 06-30-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by meglet
Perhaps you are confusing LFE with something else? As I understand it, LFE is the channel that plays through your subwoofer. For instance, depending on the mode I put my receiver in, it shows either S.Woofer or LFE on the display. It also depends on the way the audio is encoded on the disc you are playing, whether you get and LFE indicator. The bottom line is, LFE is a good thing and you shouldn't want to get rid of it.
Not necessarily.

As someone else mentioned, the LFE channel is the .1 of a 5.1 (or 6.1, etc.) audio signal. While each of the 5 channels contains the full range of the audio spectrum (including the low end), the LFE only contains the low end, maybe going slightly lower than the other 5, I'm not sure.

However, it's my understanding that it would be an oversimplification to say that the LFE is what the subwoofer plays. It all depends on how the receiver decides to direct the output to the speakers. Consider these two cases. An HT setup includes only five speakers, but they are quite nice and can each handle the entire range of the audio spectrum. In this case, the LFE channel would be played on some or all of these speakers. The other case involves 5 relatively small speakers and a decent subwoofer. Here it is likely that the subwoofer will handle the LFE, but it will also need to play the low end of the other five channels since the speakers can't handle it.

Your receiver probably has settings, such as the size of the speakers and the crossover frequency between the speakers and the sub, that determine how the signals should be directed.
Old 06-30-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nevertheless, you still don't want to get rid of your LFE! (I thought it was a pretty silly/naive proposition, thus my initial posts here because I was in a pretty silly and overworked mood!)

To bluesxman: I would suggest reading some basic audio/HT FAQs. The search function (dvdtalk or internet) is your friend....

Heck, you can start with your receiver manual, which I'm sure explains what the LFE is and how your receiver handles it.

On second thought, perhaps we're being trolled????
Old 07-01-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe he just means he wants to get rid of the receiver displaying LFE and instead have it display DVD (or whatever source its on) or something.
Old 07-02-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
Nevertheless, you still don't want to get rid of your LFE!
However, there may be cases when you wish to minimize your LFE, say for example you wish to watch a movie without disturbing your family late at night. In this particular case, switching off your sub would help.
Old 07-02-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But read the original post. The guy didn't even know what LFE was! If you want to keep things quiet at night, simply turning the volume down will help. The bass loudness level drops off faster than midrange anyway.

Back to the original questions: Doesn't *anyone* RTFM anymore??????
Old 07-07-04, 03:33 PM

Dr. Moze, I don't see the point in being rude to someone for asking an innocent question. I thought the point of these forums was for discussion of home theater hardware, and for advice and assistance by other members.

Asking about L.F.E. is a legitimate question, and I checked my manual for my Sony receiver, and it doesn't explain what L.F.E. is, although I already knew. Response like yours will make people hesitate to start a discussion or to ask a question. If you notice, the original poster is a new member.
If you are annoyed by a question, simply hit the back button or don't read it- there is no use in being an a$$.
Old 07-07-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Herd: Get a sense of humor. Lighten up. Please.