Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is my tv dying?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-04, 09:38 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my tv dying?

It's a 9 yr. old Sony triniton and the picture is fine but there is a high pitched tone coming from it almost all the time. Sometimes it will go away if you turn the tv off and then back on, but usually it doesn't.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks,

DAC
Old 06-22-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
With a few years of monitor repair under my belt, I can say that it is probably either the flyback transformer squealing or a case of yoke whine. Your local repair shop should be able to trace it down quickly either way. If it's the flyback, it can usually be tweaked to alleviate the squeal, or some time could be spent checking the resistors on the main board for age/heat related drift and replacing them. If it's the yoke, merely marking it's position on the CRT, loosening and moving it, squirting some dieletric silicon sealant in there, and putting it right back where you found it. I would charge one hour plus parts, including final adjustments. Most shops are going to end up charging you $100-200 is my bet. See if you can find a place that will check it out for you and only charge a $50 or less diag fee (waived if you get the service done) and get an estimate. TVs nowadays are a commodity item, so you're probably better off choosing to simply GoodWill the dang thing and drop $200 on a brand new flat CRT from Wally World.
Old 06-22-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With a few TV repairs under my belt as well, I'm going to agree. High pitched whining is usually the flyback.
Old 06-22-04, 03:48 PM
DAC

Thanks guys. I'll look into it. Could I twek the flyback, or do you need special tools? Know of any websites that might explain?

Thanks again.
Old 06-23-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
If you feel comfortable working around high voltage, you could take the back off the set and play a familiar scene while using a non-conductive adjustment tool (available in a set at any little electronics shop for pennies) to adjust the pots on the flyback itself (if present). There are often two present, one for focus, the other for screen voltage. Adjust focus for a sharper picture and carefully adjust the other in very fine increments to see if it reduces the squeal. Before poking around back there, though, you might have a good read of Silicon Sam's fine TV repair faq.
Old 06-23-04, 09:02 PM
DAC

Thanks Mike