Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

5.1 systems for $250 and under?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-06-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to my newly acquired Philips 20" flatscreen (20PT6441) and Sony DVD player (DVP-NS575P), I want to get a 5.1 system. However, I can't spend (or rather, my father can't ) more than $250. That's okay...I think...because I shouldn't get anything that can get too loud anyway, since I'll be living in dorms and apartments for quite a while. So, what would you guys recommend from places like Best Buy and Circuit City? This is their selection:

Best Buy
Circuit City

Now the thing is, I really don't need something that's really loud, and I certainly don't need a big-ass subwoofer, so it I don't think it should be too hard to find something I'd like that would be under $250. I'm more concerned about general quality and sound quality.

One concern I have is that it seems all the lower-end 5.1 systems are built into a DVD player....I suppose I could just give the player I bought to my dad, but would that be worth it? It would suck to be stuck with a DVD player that isn't too good and isn't as nice as the Sony I bought just because it has the amplifier built into it. Then again, it would be nice to have it like that so I wouldn't have to deal with yet more remotes. Which leads me to another question....if I did get a 5.1 system that just came with a reciever and no DVD player, that would mean I would be forced to use a seperate remote for the volume, right? That would kind of suck.

And if I did get a new DVD player, I'd want it to have s-video, component outputs, basically what my current DVD player has.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

-edit-
oh, another thing....would it be possible to connect my TV to the 5.1 system so I could watch cable with surround sound?
Old 06-06-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Logitech Z-680.
Old 06-06-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HT-S660 Home Theater System Factory Refurbished by Onkyo
500 Watts Total System Power into 8 Ohms w/ DTS, Dolby Digital and Pro Logic II Processing plus a 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer!

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=301924

or

HT-S760 6.1-channel home theater audio system Refurbished by Onkyo
Onkyo's HT-S760 home theater audio system is a convenient way to enhance your movie viewing with incredible 6.1-channel wraparound surround sound.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=301920

both $229 plus shipping
Old 06-06-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
HT-S760 6.1-channel home theater audio system Refurbished by Onkyo
Onkyo's HT-S760 home theater audio system is a convenient way to enhance your movie viewing with incredible 6.1-channel wraparound surround sound.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=301920

both $229 plus shipping [/B]
I just bought the HTS760 new for 398 and love it. If you don't have a problem with a refurbished system, then I'd recommend going with gcribbs suggestion!
Old 06-06-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The problem with GCribbs suggestion for Onkyo systems is the $140 shipping .

For $250, you don't have a ton of options.

But if you can kick in $50 of your own or convince your dad, I'd go with the Yamaha at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0&type=product

It's a very nice amp and sub in the package. The speakers are okay, they'll get you by. But what's nice about this package is that since the amp and sub are decent, you could upgrade the speakers in the future and still have a great setup.
Old 06-06-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did not look at the shipping cost

I guess I should have remembered this type of item can be charged a ton for shipping.
Old 06-06-04, 04:33 PM

How does this one look?

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=89605&m=0
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...DW660&Dept=hav

It's a Sony HTDDW660.
Create the cinema experience you've been craving with this Sony home theater sytem. Five acoustically-matched satellite speakers, a powered subwoofer and 420-watts of power bring movie soundtracks to life, while built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS® and Dolby® Pro Logic II decoding provide amazing surround sound. Use the 32-bit digital sound processing settings to match the sound balance to your room.
The reviews say it's pretty good, plus it's a Sony. Keep in mind, again, that I seriously don't need something that's really powerful, especially considering it'll usually cover roughly a 10x10 space.

A couple more questions:

1. Why are s-video inputs and component video inputs listed as features (with No next to both of them)? What would that be used for?

2. This Sony has Dolby Pro Logic II but not Pro Logic. If you have II, do you use Pro Logic anyway?

Last edited by tha_dvd_man; 06-06-04 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-06-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
How does this one look?

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=89605&m=0
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...DW660&Dept=hav

It's a Sony HTDDW660.
The reviews say it's pretty good, plus it's a Sony.

I'd say the fact that it's a Sony isn't much of a plus. Notice that people are recommending Onkyo and Yamaha in this thread? Sony makes some good things, but HTB systems aren't one of them.

1. Why are s-video inputs and component video inputs listed as features (with No next to both of them)? What would that be used for?
1) Because it doesn't have any video inputs. Video inputs are used for video switching (i.e., pressing "VCR" on the front panel switches the outputted signal to VCR, pressing "DVD" on the front panel...).

2. This Sony has Dolby Pro Logic II but not Pro Logic. If you have II, do you use Pro Logic anyway?
2) Pro Logic II is an improvement over the original Pro Logic. There's no real reason to use Pro Logic if you have DPL2.
Old 06-06-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I concur with everything Steve said.

DVD Man, you doubt me?

Seriously, go with the Yamaha or the Onkyo.

The Sony is a piece of garbage. The receiver isn't bad, but the speakers are of no value.
Old 06-06-04, 07:13 PM

Alright, so screw the Sony.

Let's say I walk into Best Buy and see some Yamaha or Onkyo system that isn't listed on their site, or one that's an "open item" and seems to be in good condition....if the price is right and it seems to have all the features I want, should I just assume it's worth getting?

Also, when I was in BB yesterday I saw an 'open item' system...I think it was an Onkyo, maybe I'm wrong....that didn't have a subwoofer, but the speakers were significantly bigger than those of other systems. What's up with that? Is something like that worth looking into? I know bass is important, but like I said, I can't have anything that will be pissing off people in adjacent rooms, so some big volkswagon-size subwoofer would go to waste with me.
Old 06-06-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BB doesn't sell Onkyo, so it couldn't be that. If it was black, it was probably Yamaha. Open items are usually fine, you can ask them to open it up and you can check for yourself. They carry the same 30 day guarantee and warranty.
Old 11-13-05, 10:10 PM
Cool New Member

Im gonna BUMP this old thread because I didnt want to make another one, and he's basically looking for the same thing I am. Is there anything new that has come out thats around $300?
Old 11-13-05, 10:32 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Switch
Im gonna BUMP this old thread because I didnt want to make another one, and he's basically looking for the same thing I am. Is there anything new that has come out thats around $300?
The Yamaha YHT-160 isn't too shabby for a HTiB. I don't own it, but it's gotten a lot of good user reviews (avsforum).
Old 11-18-05, 02:34 PM

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've been eying the Onkyo 7.1 HTIB for around $420. I just can't justify it all that much though. It'll be apartments for me for quite some time and I don't know if I'll be able to crank the 7.1 system as much as it deserves.

Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-18-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blinkin_winkin
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've been eying the Onkyo 7.1 HTIB for around $420. I just can't justify it all that much though. It'll be apartments for me for quite some time and I don't know if I'll be able to crank the 7.1 system as much as it deserves.

Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.
The problem here is that there is validity when I say you get what you pay for. If something is too cheap there is a reason and likely you will be disappointed.