Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Pioneer DVD Recorder/HD at Costco

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about Pioneer DVD Recorder/HD at Costco

Old 07-26-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered mine on 7/20 and received it on 7/23. (I had to pay for UPS 2nd day since there's no ground shipping to here. ) The order was placed during the 2 - 3 day time frame when the expected delivery was 7 - 10 days (for ground) instead of the 8 weeks and more before and since.

Have done some VHS transfers, burning to DVD -Rs, and timer recordings. Everything's fine so far!
Old 07-26-04, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by rkndkn
I ordered mine on 7/20 and received it on 7/23. (I had to pay for UPS 2nd day since there's no ground shipping to here. ) The order was placed during the 2 - 3 day time frame when the expected delivery was 7 - 10 days (for ground) instead of the 8 weeks and more before and since.

Have done some VHS transfers, burning to DVD -Rs, and timer recordings. Everything's fine so far!
I had no choice but Ground I don't know why either. On the page it said Ground or Air, but there was no place to actually change the shipping options for me (nor for a friend of mine who ordered it in this area too).

Glad to hear that it is working fine. I am a little worried that it won't be all I want it to be. I have some things sitting on my tivo waiting to be transferred over to it the second it comes
Old 07-26-04, 10:19 AM

How are the editing features on it?
Old 07-26-04, 01:00 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by fnordboy
I'm going to be doing some editing soon so I'll let you know. From what I've seen and what I've read it appears editing is one of its strong suits.

I'm more concerned about its blanking of VHS material which I saw a couple times in a few minutes of tape playing. But then that didn't repeat when I played the same portion of tape again. I've done some large transfers so I'll be looking at that in particular to see if it's a big problem. If it is, back to Costco!
Old 07-26-04, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by fnordboy
This is my first DVD recorder, so I can't compare it to the ease of use and features of other models. However, I found the editing features quite intuitive. After placing the titles in the "copylist", you can tell it to "erase section" and you mark the beginning and ends of commercial breaks. There is a feature called Frame Accurate which lets you go frame by frame to pick a precise editing point -- avoids the split second of commercial getting by and you can go from commercial fade outs to fade ins very cleanly.

X, I haven't yet seen any blackouts. Have you noticed them while transferring VHS through the composite connection and monitoring the input going to the hd?

Last edited by rkndkn; 07-26-04 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 02:03 PM

This is my first DVD recorder, so I can't compare it to the ease of use and features of other models. However, I found the editing features quite intuitive. After placing the titles in the "copylist", you can tell it to "erase section" and mark the beginning and ends of commercial breaks. There is a feature called Frame Accurate which lets you go frame by frame to pick a precise editing point -- avoids the split second of commercial getting by and you can go from commercial fade outs to fade ins very cleanly.
Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Old 07-26-04, 02:34 PM
X
Administrator

This is my first DVD recorder, so I can't compare it to the ease of use and features of other models. However, I found the editing features quite intuitive. After placing the titles in the "copylist", you can tell it to "erase section" and you mark the beginning and ends of commercial breaks. There is a feature called Frame Accurate which lets you go frame by frame to pick a precise editing point -- avoids the split second of commercial getting by and you can go from commercial fade outs to fade ins very cleanly.

X, I haven't yet seen any blackouts. Have you noticed them while transferring VHS through the composite connection and monitoring the input going to the hd?
I'm doing the same kind of editing now and am burning it to a DVD-RW to see how it looks.

I took a 6 hour SVHS tape and recorded it in 4 hour/DVD mode. I saw the dropouts on a different tape when I was just monitoring my connections between the tape and recorder. Since then I cleaned the tape head and haven't seen any dropouts with this different tape.

I believe you can do frame-by-frame editing without Frame Accurate on. At least that's what I'm doing and it works ok. The Frame Accurate seems to be more about keeping chapter and edit points exactly where you want them when recording to disc. But you have to record in realtime, not high speed when you use it.
Old 07-26-04, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by X
I believe you can do frame-by-frame editing without Frame Accurate on. At least that's what I'm doing and it works ok. The Frame Accurate seems to be more about keeping chapter and edit points exactly where you want them when recording to disc. But you have to record in realtime, not high speed when you use it.
When I tried with Frame Accurate off, I noticed a slight jump in the point where I was trying to place the edit -- perhaps I should play with it some more. Although I DID use the Frame Accurate ON, my copylist DID record in high speed to the DVD-R (took about 15 minutes to burn 4 hrs. of material in LP mode to Fuji 4X).
Old 07-26-04, 05:13 PM
X
Administrator

When I tried with Frame Accurate off, I noticed a slight jump in the point where I was trying to place the edit -- perhaps I should play with it some more. Although I DID use the Frame Accurate ON, my copylist DID record in high speed to the DVD-R (took about 15 minutes to burn 4 hrs. of material in LP mode to Fuji 4X).
My editing was very accurate with it off but I didn't need extreme precision. On page 102 the manual says "copying some edited Video mode titles will be done in real time" so I guess it varies.
Old 07-26-04, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by shelland
I ordered today, and got my email invoice:

"The estimated delivery time will be approximately 8 - 12 weeks from the time of order."
So their email lied - got an email today saying it had been shipped. Fastest 8 weeks of my life - seemed more like a day!