Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wife gave the go ahead on new speakers...help me.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-30-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I am looking for a new set of speakers... 5.1 or 6.1 including the Sub for roughly 500-600. I do not need a receiver nor much wire ( >15ft).

I do have a 6.1 es system.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-30-04, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out monitor audio bronze series....www.monitoraudio.com
Old 05-30-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by chowchris13
Check out monitor audio bronze series....www.monitoraudio.com
Monitor Audio...very nice.

Also the Celestion Avp305/s20 combo at BB.com w/free shipping is around $300 + tax. This is a great deal. Normally this is $600 at BB, and is still $600-800 everywhere else on the net.

(Yes, I realize this is about the 10 zillionth time have have suggested these speakers, but they are very nice sounding and free shipping is awesome as both boxes are in the 65lb range.)
Old 05-30-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Monitor Audio...very nice.

Also the Celestion Avp305/s20 combo at BB.com w/free shipping is around $300 + tax. This is a great deal. Normally this is $600 at BB, and is still $600-800 everywhere else on the net.

(Yes, I realize this is about the 10 zillionth time have have suggested these speakers, but they are very nice sounding and free shipping is awesome as both boxes are in the 65lb range.)

Such a good deal that I'm considering buying them, even though I'd have nowhere to put them. Talk me out of it?
Old 05-30-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...might have to check out Godguys for those monitor speakers... also BB.

thanks guys.
Old 05-30-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Liver&Onions
Hmmm...might have to check out Godguys for those monitor speakers... also BB.

thanks guys.
BB does not sell Monitor.

Might be tough to get a full system with a sub for that price range and still have any quality to them.

Try here

http://www.av123.com/

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/

http://www.axiomaudio.com/

http://www.nhthifi.com/2004/products...=2&SubjectID=2

Good luck
Old 05-30-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would look into these also.

http://ww1.onecall.com/SPL_973.htm

NHT superzeros with a Velodyne sub for $494.99

you can add an additional superzero for $88.

I would also look at the Energy Take5.2 speakers

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...3&catky=643993

However they will be $599.99 plus 10% off this weekend at goodguys.com. This does not include a sub.

The Take5 + 1 system includes a sub.

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...8&catky=643993
Old 05-31-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I also like the SuperZero's. Nice quality and balance of sound.
Old 05-31-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by stevevt
Such a good deal that I'm considering buying them, even though I'd have nowhere to put them. Talk me out of it?
These speakers have nice flexible mounting options. They have good detail and depth to the sound. These are a great deal and having free shipping is awesome.

Oh, wait I'm supposed to talk you OUT of them...

Humm...can't think of a thing. Oh wait, my wife says they look like R2D2....

edit: I have one set, seriously considering getting another. Only thing holding me back is that I want to see how big my projector screen will be to see how or if I could mount them.
Old 05-31-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These speakers have nice flexible mounting options. They have good detail and depth to the sound. These are a great deal and having free shipping is awesome.

Oh, wait I'm supposed to talk you OUT of them...

Humm...can't think of a thing. Oh wait, my wife says they look like R2D2....

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is knowing that some people got these for $50.

Flexible, you say? Detailed/depthed/awesome, you say?

I can always get rid of a pair (or two or three) of my current speakers.
Old 05-31-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
BB does not sell Monitor.

Good luck
I meant BB For the other set, and GG for the MOnitor... looks like GG might be one of the better chain stores to look for speakers...is this true? Better as in higher quality than BB or CC.
Old 05-31-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With those SuperZeros...is it cool to use one of the bookshelve speakers as the center channel?
Old 05-31-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I meant BB For the other set, and GG for the MOnitor... looks like GG might be one of the better chain stores to look for speakers...is this true? Better as in higher quality than BB or CC.

"Better chain store" is a misnomer. Go to Monitor's site and find a (real) dealer where you can listen to these speakers in a realistic environment. Otherwise, what's the point of even listening to them before you buy them?

So says stevevt as he shuffles off to bestbuy.com to snatch up a set of speakers he's never heard.
Old 05-31-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With those SuperZeros...is it cool to use one of the bookshelve speakers as the center channel?
They're shielded, so you can put one next to a tv with no problem. Keep in mind that they were designed to sound best standing up -- positioned veritically -- so if you lay one sideways, you might not be getting the best sound out of it. This is why there are designated center channels.

If you have to use a bookshelf as a center, you might try mounting it vertically but upside down, to keep the tweeter closer to ear level. Again, this is not how it was designed to operate, but I'd at least try all my options and see which I preferred.
Old 05-31-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're shielded, so you can put one next to a tv with no problem. Keep in mind that they were designed to sound best standing up -- positioned veritically -- so if you lay one sideways, you might not be getting the best sound out of it. This is why there are designated center channels.

If you have to use a bookshelf as a center, you might try mounting it vertically but upside down, to keep the tweeter closer to ear level. Again, this is not how it was designed to operate, but I'd at least try all my options and see which I preferred.
Ok thanks. The reason I asked is because Onecall has the package as 5 bookshelves and the sub.
Old 05-31-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
"Better chain store" is a misnomer.

You don't even want to know about my horrible experience there today. I really do not know why I still shop there . . .
Old 05-31-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The o0necall SuperZ is an *excellent* deal. It's like getting the Z's super-cheap and a free sub to boot!

You can use a superZ as a center. I did for years. It should sound fine sideways--having the tweeter and mid side-by-side should not affect anything sonically. (Regular center channels usually have a sideways arrangement anyway, with a 2nd mid for symmetry, which isn't critical IMO.)

Anyway, one tweak I'd suggest is to also picl up the SuperCenter for $150--perfectly matched, great center, and you can use the extra Z for the 6th (rear center) channel.

I've had a set of SuperZ's for over 10 years now (with a SuperCenter and an NHT sub) and have never been tempted to switch/upgrade them. They simply sound fantastic, natural and clear for anything from action movies to classical music, so you never think of what the 'speakers' sound like. They sound more clean and open than many larger or more expensive speakers. Did a sonic frequency sweep with a sound meter, and the sound & level were very even through and above the .1 transition (80hz).

You'll be surprised at how loud and clear these speakers put out. But, you do need a good (not necessarily expensive) high-current receiver for them. What receiver are you running?
Old 06-01-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've gota Kenwood VR-6050... It should be good enough to run those.

Thanks for the tips, I thought about getting a center and using the extra for a rear center...
Old 06-01-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is knowing that some people got these for $50.

Yea, I know. I was bummed I couldn't get a set for $50.00.

But don't let that detract from the fact that $200 is a deal. Sure $50.00 is less, but...$200 is good.
Old 06-02-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
L & 0 - email Gil Jawetz (cinema gotham) and ask him what he thinks about his Rocket Tykes (by Onix - www.av123.com). They are on sale for $399 and they are supposed to sound pretty good.
Old 06-02-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea, I know. I was bummed I couldn't get a set for $50.00.

But don't let that detract from the fact that $200 is a deal. Sure $50.00 is less, but...$200 is good.

Yeah. Ordered a set this past weekend. Haven't shipped yet, but I'm in no hurry.
Old 06-02-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks BA. I might just do that...
Old 06-03-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've gota Kenwood VR-6050... It should be good enough to run those.

Thanks for the tips, I thought about getting a center and using the extra for a rear center...
Not too sure about the Kenwood. There's a good chance it will muddy up the sound at moderate-to-high volumes with the SuperZ's. They do require a lot of current to sound clean (efficiency is only 86 db) and the Kenwoods aren't known for that. (Plus, using the 'weight test,' a 6-channel 100W/ch receiver that only weighs 20 pounds doesn't seem beefy enough!)

To be safe, I'd give the SuperZ's a good listen on this receiver before purchasing.
Old 06-03-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the Kenwood can't power those..any suggestions as to what it would power?
Old 06-03-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the Kenwood can't power those..any suggestions as to what it would power?
Pretty much the majority of speakers. NHTs are the exception.

Have you ruled out the Celestions?

A lot of receivers would be fine with the NHTs, but I would certainly be wary of using your Kenwood. Seems like a bad matchup, but room size and how loud you want it are also big factors.

And, for those who care, my Celestions shipped yesterday and will be here Monday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.