DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

XM Radio

Old 05-17-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Radio

While I have been searching for my new receiver and asking questions...I came across the

Delphi SA10035 Roady XM Satellite Radio Receiver

is XM all it's cracked up to be? I'm very tempted to get this with my home receiver, because they have the free FM modulator for the car, and it has a home kit...

Anyone have any issues with service or anything?
Old 05-17-04, 05:51 PM

I have the Delphi SkyFi and love it. The indoor antenna can be a little picky about where it sits to get a signal, but once I stuck it up on the wall it picks up a nice strong signal even down here in a little valley full of trees.
Not sure about the Roady, but my SkyFi came with a mini-to-RCA cable to hook to my stereo system, and the car kit can be used with either a cassette adapter, FM modulator, or mini-to-RCA cable if your auto stereo has those inputs. I found that the cassette adapter give more than adequate sound (better than the cd player, actually) so I just drilled a couple holes and ran the wires down to the SkyFi mounting bracket.
The only time I have any signal issues is driving east or west through the mountains, when they block the signal from the satellites (IIRC, satellites are about even with California and Florida.)
Hope that helps. Meghan.
Old 05-17-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the SkyFi, sounds like it does exactly what I want it to do, I want to be able to play it at home or in the car....or in a boombox?

Thanks

Ben
Old 05-17-04, 06:21 PM

I believe I paid $150 for the SkyFi and one adapter kit (Christmas special) and then went back and got the car kit later for full price ($69.) My mom has the boombox and really likes it.
I would suggest checking out www.xmfan.com for WAY too much info, and their related site www.xmfanstore.com looks like they have really good prices. Ooooh, and a new boombox with a CD Player! Might be time for me to upgrade.
Oh, and I should mention, that "Christmas Special" I got to buy my SkyFi was in 2002, and I still love having XM, and my mom made me go buy one for her after listening to mine for just one day. Hers runs almost 24/7 and is still the original equipment and subscription.

Last edited by meglet; 05-17-04 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had XM for a couple months now and love it. I believe i paid $100 for the receiver, $69 for the home adaptor kit, and about $69 for the car cassette kit.
The home hookup was real easy, mini to RCA, i get pretty good reception with little dropout.
The car antennae is kind of picky, usually trees (and of course bridges) get in the way, but overall a great service.
Also, if you get more than one receiver, they discount the service from $10/month down to $7/month for each receiver.
Old 05-31-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 526 Likes on 402 Posts
My wife picked me up a Delphi unit with home and car kits for my birthday Friday. Had problems getting it going, but that's because I'm an idiot (there was a piece of my old cellphone charger in the cig adaptor). Anyways, we had it going, and driving back from KY to Chicago today, a few hours in, the display stopped working. We stopped at a gas station, and when we powered it back up, the screen appears to be glowing and it plays music, but I don't get the display. I brought it in and tried in my home unit, and it plays but still no display. I thought it might have had something to do with the storms across central Illinois today, but it should have been fine at the house then.

Has anybody ever heard of this? I haven't called XM yet, but I'll probably end up taking it to Best Buy for an exchange, and probably getting the extended warranty this time.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
Old 06-01-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 526 Likes on 402 Posts
NM, it started working again this morning. Must have just needed an update.