Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!--My DVD player isn't working.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first off, I have a Malata N996 player. I got it about 2 or 3 years ago, I can't remember which. I went to pop in a DVD today and it absolutely wouldn't respond at all. I tried the remote, the power switch, I unplugged it and tried another outlet, all to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might do to solve the problem? The thought of no DVD player for an extended time is horrible.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Open it up and see if you blew a fuse?

When you unplugged it, did you wait a while before plugging it back in? That'd be another thing to try, but the whole "no response at all" thing is making me think power. And power could mean power supply, or it could mean fuse. You should be hoping it's a fuse.
Old 05-12-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i just opened it up and checked everything out. the fuse looked ok and i really couldn't see anything particularly wrong with it. i am worried about this.

Last edited by kevin75; 05-12-04 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 08:52 AM

Did you try hitting the DVD player? Many times when a piece of electronic equipment quits on me, I just hit it on its sides back and forth for about 20 seconds. Make sure you hit it hard enough though. I have actually had a good repair rate from this method. I fixed my Xbox and CD stereo this way. If that doesn't work I think it is time for you to upgrade to one of those $1000 Denon DVD players.
Old 05-13-04, 11:35 AM
Banned

same thing happened to me on my APEX AD3201 - just one day up and quit on me - power light comes on but no functinality - electronics friend of mine says (without running a detailed diagnostic) eiher power supply or circuit board scrammed - either way, would cost just as much or more to repair than to get a new one for little amount I paid for that deck in the first place

Solution - spent another $70 and got a nice SONY DVP425 or whatever (too many letters and numbers to remember and im not sitting next to it at the moment)
Old 05-13-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Time for a new dvd player. On electronics today I am happy for lower end items to last 2-3 years.
Old 05-13-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, i tried banging on it and plugged it in to no avail. RIP my DVD player .

moving on, does anyone know of a good, not too expensive all region player? i really enjoyed the X-Y scaling feature on my malata so a new one with that feature would be nice.