DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   microsoft Blu-Ray:will you replace your hardware? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/363762-microsoft-blu-ray-will-you-replace-your-hardware.html)

APEX_Owner 05-12-04 11:04 AM

microsoft Blu-Ray:will you replace your hardware?

I read this article:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

"Just as consumers are beginning to get comfortable with their DVD players, electronics manufacturers are set to introduce next-generation discs that store more -- and would be harder to copy. A dozen companies, headed by Sony Corp., are pushing a disc called the Blu-ray."

What do you think the liklyhood of somthing like this happening? With big players like Sony and Microsoft will we all have to purchase new hardware for a new format?

This sticks of greed.

hoyalawya 05-12-04 11:32 AM

I don't care about format war. Playstation 3 will be based on blu-ray anyway. Bring on pre-recorded HD contents in a non-tape format.

Brian Shannon 05-12-04 03:04 PM

What do you think the liklyhood of somthing like this happening? With big players like Sony and Microsoft will we all have to purchase new hardware for a new format?

This sticks of greed.
It is actually called progress.

No one is forced to adopt a new technology. The minidisc has not gotten rid of CD's or cassettes, nor has the mp3 player. The current DVD format has not gotten rid of VHS tapes.

I still use my laserdisc player in my theater.

Someday a new technology will come along that will be reasonably priced and have better quality and features. I've been watching DVD's for 7+ years and I expect to be watching them 7+ years from now!

APEX_Owner 05-13-04 08:38 AM

"No one is forced to adopt a new technology."

Being on dvdtalk you could probably be classified as an early adopter of the dvd (hardware, movies). Since you started purchasing dvds how many vhs tapes have you purchased (probably zero)? If you listen to cds...when was the last time you purchased a cassette? Btw, try and find a new automobile that even has a cassette player...so (over time...in some cases) people are forced to convert (re-purchase) what they already own.

A friend of mine just purchased a new laptop. It has no parallel port. He now has to purchase a new printer (even though his current printer works fine) with a usb connetion.

I guess another way the question could be asked:

Do companies have a social (moral?) obligation to support (keep producing) a product that has one of the fastest adoption rates of any media/format?

Iron_Giant 05-13-04 12:58 PM

HDDVD will be better than DVD, but not that much better than a really well done DVD (Monster's Inc, Zorro "Superbit", LofTRs...) as compared to the old VHS or regular TV broadcast.

And you have to have an HDTV to use HDDVD, which 90% of the USA does not have. True, more HDTV will be out there in the next year, but you will not see as many people upgrading their DVD player becuase of price, lack of HDTVs and the quality jump is not as big.

If I upgrade, I will keep my current DVD player and only buy HDDVDs that I really want to have forever - if the price is right. I am sure I will not upgrade any of my current DVD disks to HDDVD disks, not worth the price.

One nice thing about HDDVD coming out, is that the price for DVDs disk should come down even more - which would keep me buying them over HDDVDs.

Brian Shannon 05-13-04 02:36 PM

Originally posted by APEX_Owner
"No one is forced to adopt a new technology."

Being on dvdtalk you could probably be classified as an early adopter of the dvd (hardware, movies). Since you started purchasing dvds how many vhs tapes have you purchased (probably zero)? If you listen to cds...when was the last time you purchased a cassette? Btw, try and find a new automobile that even has a cassette player...so (over time...in some cases) people are forced to convert (re-purchase) what they already own.

A friend of mine just purchased a new laptop. It has no parallel port. He now has to purchase a new printer (even though his current printer works fine) with a usb connetion.

I guess another way the question could be asked:

Do companies have a social (moral?) obligation to support (keep producing) a product that has one of the fastest adoption rates of any media/format?

Given the speed of adoption and amount of players and discs in print, do you honestly believe that they will abandon them so quickly?

My point was and is you can still buy and use CD's, cassettes, LP's and laserdiscs and no I do not believe companies have any such obligations other than to remain in business. If they choose to make a poor decision they do so at their own peril. Remember DIVX?

gcribbs 05-13-04 08:57 PM

I think those with more disposable money and who buy the newest electronics will upgrade very fast.

I would probably upgrade dvd's to the new format and sell off my old collection for a better HD disc.

cowanrg 05-13-04 11:10 PM

in direct reponse to the topic, and staying on topic with the thread, i will definately upgrade, and will be one of the first adopters.

i dont consider the industry to line their pockets, or be greedy. im glad new stuff comes out. dvd is ok, but its a far cry from HD content. it would be nice to have a format capable of handling the true potential of some of the sets out there. it will ruffle some feathers, but over time, it will be the next dvd. then people will get used to it, and then holographic dvd will come out, and it will ruffle feathers, etc...

Knight76 05-14-04 01:41 AM

dvd's will not become obsolete just because HI Def dvd's are available. For starters both competing formats bave stated their players will be backwards compatible with current dvd's.

So its really just a question of would you upgrade your hardware. Considering the quality jump from normal dvd to hi def dvd will be quite noticeable despite what some people here say, id say I would upgrade for the right price.