Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Hooking headphones up to a DVD player with no headphone jack?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay quick question. I just have my DVD player hooked up to my tv, I don't have anything remotely fancy set-up wise but I need to start using my headphones when watching a movie since there are so many distractions in other rooms at all times it seems. Is an RCA Y connector (1 female to 2 male) what I'd need to plug into the back of my DVD player to connect my headphones to it?
Old 05-04-04, 12:37 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
You need two male RCA plugs to a female stereo jack. (Of course you'll need to get the same size jack as the plug on your headphones.)

You may have a problem in that the output level of the DVD player might not be sufficient to drive the headphones, not to mention no volume control. You might need a small amplifier to drive them.
Old 05-04-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, would this do the trick?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product

Or is that not what I'm looking for?
Old 05-04-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with X, in that just plugging the headphones into the rca jacks on the dvd player via a converter is probably not going to work well, as that just sends a line level signal, which is supposed to then be amplified by another source. (If I'm not mistaken).

And that link that you posted is not what you want. That link has "2 RCA Males to 1 RCA female" You want "2 RCA males to 1 Headphone jack (1/4" or 1/8"', depending on your preference in headphones)

But, like I said, even the correct cable (2 rca plugs to 1 headphone jack) is not going to make you happy; you may get some sound from it, but not what you are hoping for.

Do you have an old receiver or even set of powered pc speakers with a headphone connector? If you do, then you have some options.
Old 05-04-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will have to have an amplifier. Most "headphone amplifiers" cost about $200 so if you want a cheap solution either buy a new DVD player with a headphone jack, or use an old amplifier you may already have, the computer speakers are the cheapest I bet.
Old 05-07-04, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I've hooked up headphones to DVD players using the appropriate Y connector (actually a Y connector connected to a coupler) and haven't had any problems with it being too quiet, even though it's just a line level output. YMMV of course, depending on your headphones and DVD player.

I used one of these connected to one of these. If the sound is too loud, you can get an inline volume slider. (Note that the slider will only decrease the volume; you need an amp to increase it.)

I was lucky enough to have all that stuff sitting around. If you don't, it's pretty likely you can find those adapters at regular electronics stores; don't pay Radio Shack prices if you don't have to.