Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dolby Digital on my Onkyo ONK HTS760??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-02-04, 03:33 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe its that I have something hooked up wrong, but my Dolby Digital light on my amp won't light up? I can't seem to figure out howto set the sound function to DD, I got DTS fine, all channel, NEO Movie and NEO music all that jazz, but no DD, can anybody help me with this issue, help would be greatly appreciated.

My 2nd question is that I have heard that people like DD vs DTS on this system, my question is why? What makes eash of thes different? Why is one preferred over the other?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-04, 10:17 PM

It sounds like it's hooked up right, if you're getting dts ok. Maybe DD also needs to be turned on in the player's setup menus? Otherwise, if receiver is set to digital auto, DD shout automatically kick in when a DD movie is started. In the player's setup menus, DD also needs to be set to bitstream, along with the dts output.

DD and DTS are competing forms of compression. DTS uses less compression, which ideally gives better sound, but not ALWAYS. DTS tends to be a little louder than DD also, if you switch between the two, and don't touch the volume. I usually prefer the DTS track, personally. Almost all dvds use DD now, but not a lot use DTS. More are beginning to use DTS though.

Good luck! Hope you get the DD doing right........
Old 05-03-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are getting DTS ok then I suspect you have a defective receiver. I've had my 760 for about 3 weeks now so I am still learning how to use it. I don't remember any special setup to get DD to work. Basically, when I put in a DD DVD it automatically defaults to DD and the light does light up saying Dolby Digital. A couple of things to check: (1) make sure that your speaker B is off (2) cycle through the audio options using the blue DSP button (I think that is it) (3) You might also want to check your dvd player and make sure you are in DD audio. I am at work so I am trying to do this by memory and it is VERY early.

Keep in mind I am reaching for anything here but I suspect you receiver is defective or at least the light is busted.

As far as DD vs DTS I think it depends on the DVD. Overall I think DTS does sound better on my 760 but it is really a personal preference.

Good luck
Old 05-03-04, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Thanks a lot! I appreciate all the help, I am going to try these and see if I can get it working!