DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Sony Recievers Compared (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/360806-sony-recievers-compared.html)

shumba411 04-26-04 11:07 PM

Sony Recievers Compared

I am undecided between the following recievers:

1. Sony STR-DE995/B
2. Sony ES STR-DA1000ES

Compared at crutchfielf
I compared them at crutchfield, and see no major difference. I am sure I am missing something. I am a noobie to this home theater stuff. I am building my first system for an aptartment. I have JBL NSP1II speakers already. Comments? Suggestions?

Thx

JM 04-26-04 11:36 PM

Products in Sony's ES line (such as #2) are decent stuff. The rest are not so good. In any case, you can a better receiver for your money than Sony. Don't fall for the Sony hype. Look at Denon or Onkyo.

cseyer 04-27-04 11:24 AM

I can personnaly vouch for staying with the ES line with Sony I dipped down previously and purchased a 925?? In any case it was the 900 series, I was never happy with it and glad when it went into a fatal "PROTECTOR" mode. I now am using my old 1025 receiver in the bedroom and a new 3000ES in the living room.

I would recommend the ES series without fail but not the other.

drmoze 04-27-04 11:37 AM

Even with the ES line being ok, I would still go with another brand. You can get better performance at a lower price. For less money than the Sony, you can have a better Denon 1803, H-K AVR230, or a Yamaha or Onkyo.

cajun_junky 04-27-04 02:48 PM

Originally posted by drmoze
Even with the ES line being ok, I would still go with another brand. You can get better performance at a lower price. For less money than the Sony, you can have a better Denon 1803, H-K AVR230, or a Yamaha or Onkyo.
I agree with the receiver recommendations. I just recently bought an Onkyo 760 home theater system and couldn't be happier with the performance. The receiver does everything I need and does it well.

shumba411 04-27-04 06:26 PM

Thnx for the info guys. Just wanted to know if there was a major diff between the 2.

drmoze 04-27-04 09:08 PM

To answer *that* question, yes, there is a major difference. The ES is much better (by comparison).

DavidY 05-01-04 12:31 PM

Based on what I have read, the Sony 1000ES is too much like the DE series. You need to go to the Sony 2000ES for a true "ES" receiver. I have the Sony 777ES and still love this 50 plus pound monster.

Dave

KPlummer 05-05-04 09:32 PM

I remember something about Sony recalling this years ES recievers just last month. The ES line is better than the non ES line, but as previously suggested, I'd pick another brand. Personally, I have yet to meet a Sony reciever that sounded as good as other reputable brand ,similar priced recievers. Sony has always been a bit lacking in rear output in my experience as well.