Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-04, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTS Problems

For my self defense in case this question has been answered, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to search the forums for DTS.

Here goes. I just bought a Toshiba SD-4900 DVD player and attached it to my Technics SA-DX940 receiver with the audio hooked up through a optical digital Monster wire. I tried putting in Re-Animator with the DTS track and the music is amazingly clear and sound is separated. My only problem is that the music is much louder then the very soft voices. Does anyone know why I can barely hear people talking but music perfectly? I have a 5.1 setup and can't figure out what's wrong. Any help is appreciated in advance.
Old 04-08-04, 07:24 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Sounds like your center channel is too quiet.

You should calibrate your sound. Although I don't know why it would be so different than DD. You have been using DD5.1, haven't you?
Old 04-08-04, 09:49 PM

I believe I've been using 5.1. I tried Dolby Pro Logic with my reciever and the sound fluctuated from quite to loud quite often. Also, I just put in a Farscape DVD and I get all noises very loud and clear but absolutely no voices from anybody. Is it my receiver or the DVD player? The sound went crazy with dolby pro logic II as well when I'd try to do sound on my gamecube
Old 04-08-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you've been using DD 5.1 and it sounds correct coming from the center channel but doesn't when you switch to DTS 5.1. If you receiver's volume fluctuated from quiet to loud even in DPL mode it could mean that there's a problem with the receiver. If you mean that there were just some parts that seemed louder than others then that's because of the way DVDs are. Also depending on the DPL mode you used on the receiver it may not have been using the center channel the same way DD and DTS 5.1 does so it could be a center channel problem. Have you calibrated the 5 speakers like X asked?
Old 04-09-04, 01:29 AM

Any time you change a piece of equipment, especially a dvd player, you need to re-calibrate. The characteristics of each player and it's parts, are different.
Old 04-09-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thats the problem with DVD's....music and SFX are always way louder than the speech....deal with it or crank the center I guess...thats what I have to do. It really sucks to have to constantly turn the volume up and down during a movie though..I've never understood why DVD standards are like this.
Old 04-09-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like a problem with your receiver or the connection to your center channel. There should be absolutely no reason to turn your volume up and down during a movie.
Old 04-10-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You also need to be sure and check that any Dynamic Range enhancement setting are turned off! If it is set on (in either the DVD player or A/V receiver) it will cause problems like you describe. I would check your DVD player's setting first since a lot of the players have Dynamic Range enhancement on by default.