Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

House Wiring for speakers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to figure out a good way to try to minimize the impact of trying to wire the surrounds.

Does anyone know if there is a system that is able to use the house's electrical wiring to transmit signal? I know that RCA made a system that was able to do computer file sharing and NAT via the electrical wiring, and it worked pretty well.
Old 04-05-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you'll have a huge degrade in sound using these systems... if you want decent sound you're stuck with wires
Old 04-06-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand that 'decent' sound requires wires, but for surrounds I figured that if one can transmit high bandwith network traffic over the power lines in a house, then speaker signal should be a snap.

Anyone know if there's an option for this?
Old 04-06-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hah!:

"Pioneer is considering a 2005 launch of speakers that use the Powerline Communications standard developed by the Powerline Communications Group of major CE companies. Pioneer is using the technology to send 32kHz, 16-bit uncompressed linear PCM over powerlines at a 2Mbps data rate to two amplified active tower speakers. The standard allows for a 4Mbps data rate."
Old 04-06-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by CheapBastid
I understand that 'decent' sound requires wires, but for surrounds I figured that if one can transmit high bandwith network traffic over the power lines in a house, then speaker signal should be a snap.

Anyone know if there's an option for this?
Not that I am aware of. Also if you are going to "transmit" a signal over power lines, are you going to be able to "plug in" the speakers where you want them?

Wireless is an option although think of a cordless phone when you consider this idea as well.
Old 04-06-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Double Hah!:

Last edited by CheapBastid; 04-06-04 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Not that I am aware of. Also if you are going to "transmit" a signal over power lines, are you going to be able to "plug in" the speakers where you want them?

Wireless is an option although think of a cordless phone when you consider this idea as well.
I'm trying to minimize the wiring considerations, in a large room with hardwood floors.
Old 04-06-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

even for surrounds.. you want good sound separation .. lows and highs...ability to turn them up, or turn them down..
with the wireless speakers the sound is going to suck, not to mention the interference you'll pick up.. i've never heard of any wireless speakers or speakers that transmit sound through reg wires be any good. Unless you got 1000 to plunk down on them(from your name i doubt it)..and even then, i'll believe when i hear it.
but dont take my word for it.. buy them and see for yourself.
Old 04-15-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I picked up a set on e-bay for less than a 1/3 the retail price, and they're not great, but they're workable and what I consider 'decent'.

There is a transmitter that can take stripped speaker wire, RCA, or headphone mini plug input. Each speaker has it's own power cord hard wired to the back, and on the back of each speaker there's a switch to set the speaker as L, R, or Mono. There are also 3 channels you can choose from for broadcasting (on the transmitter and the speakers). Each speaker has a 'bass boost' button, an off/on/volume dial, and a treble control.

Cranked all the way up I get some crackle, but turned down to 75% I don't hear it. I just boosted the output from my crapulent mini-system to each of the rear channels and I'm set.

Not the best solution sound wise, but very passable, and the best solution for me.

Last edited by CheapBastid; 04-15-04 at 11:23 AM.