Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommend a DVD changer/player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading from my current DVD Player to something more reliable. I like some of the features on it and want to find a new DVD player that has similar features. It's an Onkyo DR-C500 5-DVD Receiver Player that remembers the location of the movie when you turned off the player/receiver so next time when you turn it back on, it would start playing from that location. The problem is that sometimes when I turn on the player/receiver, it would display error message that there is problem with the disc. If I turn off and on again, eventually I can get the disc to play. But I'm looking for a DVD player that has this feature but is not flaky. Can anyone recommend one that's cheaper than $500? It doesn't need to be a receiver/dvd player combo. Just a dvd player is fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-01-04, 08:37 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Panasonic F-65. So far, it has been very reliable. I bought it to consolidate my DVD player with my old CD turntable. It plays DVD-RAM also if you are interested in buying a Panasonic DVD recorder. It has memory for all 5 disks but I have only used it for one disk at a time. You can buy it for about $120 at Bestbuy or Circuit City.
Old 03-01-04, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I browsed several Home Theater forums and finally decided to get Sony DVP-CX985V 400 DVD Changer. I hope it's a better and more reliable player than my current Onkyo DR-C500 5 DVD Changer.
Old 03-17-04, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by neatMCsammer
I'm having the same problem with my Onkyo DR-C500, I keep getting an error message saying that my discs are not readable. Eventually, after several tries, it recognizes them and the discs play fine. This didn't happen when I first got the player, but now it seems to be happening all the time. Has anyone else had problems with this? Do I need to get it repaired?
Is your Onkyo still under warranty? Mine still is, but I just got tired of taking it in to repair shop so often and not able to watch DVDs while waiting for it to be repaired. When I first got it, it had another really bad problem with yellow pixels scattered in the same fixed location throughout the image. It's very annoying that I finally took the player in to get it fixed. Found out the problem was a bad mpeg decoder. Now that problem is gone. Have you had problem with yellow pixels on screen when you watch movies?

I'm still trying to decide if I should take my player/receiver in to get the 2nd problem fixed: problem with the disc randomly not able to load discs. Problem is that I can't get this error all the time. So I'm not sure if I take it in, will the repair shop able to encounter the problem and fix it?
Old 03-17-04, 02:15 PM

Now that we are talking about Onkyo DR-C500 player/receiver, have you encounter any problem with the remote that came with it? I also found there is a problem with it. After a while the remote would stop working. Then I have to remove the battery from the remote to cause it to 'reset'. Then it would fix the remote and it will work for a while longer. This cycle just continue. There was a note that came with my player that a replacement remote can be ordered from Onkyo through their web site. So I ordered a replacement remote. Guess what? The replacement remote also have the same problem. After a while it would stop working and I had to take-out/put-back battery to reset it.

Anyone else have this problem? And how do you fix it?