Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommend a good audio receiver.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I got my new TV (hugs "my precious") and now I'm not happy with my current receiver. When I first got into this whole thing, I got a Pioneer 5-disc Changer with a built in 5.1 receiver . Of course, as everyone knows those 'Jack of all trades' are not near as good as 'master of one trade'. I've dealt with it for over a year, and now I'm annoyed. The seperation is terrible, the range is dissapointing.. Well, you get the drift. Hell, the damn thing doesn't even have a place for component vide or optical audio.

Anyways - with my income tax and what not, here in about two weeks I'll have around $600 for a receiver. Now, I don't need anything fancy ala 6.1 or what not. My main concerns are a good 5.1 / DTS receiver. So - please recommend me one and post a link, if possible. Over the next two weeks, I hope to compile a list and check them all out.

Keep in mind, I won't be replacing my speakers right at this moment. I am goin' under the school of thought that a good receiver will help decent speakers sound better, where as a bad receiver can't help the best of speakers. Plus, my problem isn't really with the speakers...well, that and the cash flow won't premit all of it being replaced at once.

Thanks guy's!

Last edited by LivingINClip; 02-18-04 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

check out outlaw
Old 02-18-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ouch, it seems they stopped making the receiver. For the price, I'd consider the panasonic receiver that is cheap. The outlaw unit was good.
Old 02-18-04, 09:20 PM

Some suggestions:

Yamaha RX-V1400
Onkyo 701
Denon 2803
Harman Kardon AVR 430

You could also spend a little less with one of the following receivers and still have enough to also pick up a pair of the formerly-$500/pair JBL S36IIPM bookshelf speakers now available for $150/pair at BestBuy.com (online-only deal):

Panasonic XR45
Pioneer 912
Onkyo 601

Don't fool yourself: speakers make a *huge* difference and that's where the bulk of your home theater budget should go.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 02-18-04 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 09:31 PM

Don't get me wrong, I know speakers make a big difference, but my main problem is with seperation and the fact I can't even run optic, if I want. Honestly, ninety percent of the time you can't tell where the sound is coming from, only on select DVD's. I'm trying to replace one thing at a time, right now I want to focus on the receiver, then speakers.

My friend has a set of speakers almost identical to mine, with a different receiver and they sound great. So, the speakers are not my *main* problem, though they will eventually be phased out.

Thanks for the recommendations tho', on my way to look for reviews now.
Old 02-18-04, 09:45 PM

I know what you mean about feeling like a certain part of your setup just has to go, so no real beef here with doing the receiver first. Just didn't want you to feel like every dollar you could possibly scrape up absolutely has to go into the receiver. Make sure you budget for killer speakers down the road!

Anyway, speaking of killer speakers, those JBLs are a steal. I wasn't really looking for new surrounds (actually also hunting for a receiver!), but the price/performance was too good to pass up. These are actually full-range speakers, although you would definitely want to use a sub for the real lows. I'm very excited that they're on the way and highly recommend checking them out. Your local Best Buy may have them on display, as mine did -- for $400/pair!

Back to the receiver, I'd recommend you also stop by both AVS Forums and Home Theater Forum -- lots of audio geeks there with lots of info on all of these and other receivers. Well worth your time.
Old 02-18-04, 10:07 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice.

One more question - do you know anything about the Harman Kardon AVR 330? I know it's caught my eye and I've heard good things about it.

Just hopin' to get some impressions from someone on the board who owns one or has used one.
Old 02-21-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Check out the Onkyo site. They usually have some great deals on refurbished stuff. And most of the time it is refurbished due to a minor cosmetic flaw.
Old 02-22-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I just got the H/K AVR 230 and I love it. I'm sure you would be happy with the AVR 330. I know you said anything more than 5.1 wasn't important, but it's nice that both these receivers are capable of 6.1 or 7.1 respectively. Just make sure that, whatever you end up buying, buy from an authorized dealer, such as onecall or J&R.
Old 02-22-04, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought an AVR525 from onecall for around $580 and I think it sounds great for movies and music. You should be able to get one online for $600 or so.

User reviews at audioreview.com:

Link
Old 02-22-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Sony STR-DA1000ES. I got it at OneCall for a lot cheaper than the advertise for. If you want, I could refer you and then you could probably get the same sale price that I got.

It's one heck of a receiver, really sharp looking too. If you are looking for a silver color.

It can also do 6.1 and 7.1 if you want....and it's always a plus incase you want to upgrade ever. I have a 6.1 system hooked up to mine, I absolutely love it.

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_19684.htm#

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 02-22-04 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
I have the Sony STR-DA1000ES. I got it at OneCall for a lot cheaper than the advertise for. If you want, I could refer you and then you could probably get the same sale price that I got.

It's one heck of a receiver, really sharp looking too. If you are looking for a silver color.

It can also do 6.1 and 7.1 if you want....and it's always a plus incase you want to upgrade ever. I have a 6.1 system hooked up to mine, I absolutely love it.

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_19684.htm#

Hey DJ, is this the Sony's top of the line ES Receiver? Also, how much price you paid for it? Let me know okay. Thanks!
Old 02-23-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I say skip the HK and Sony receivers and go for the Denon 2803. You won't be disappointed
Old 02-23-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Girliz, yep...it's the ES line of their receivers. They have a few different ES models. It is their Top of the line receivers though....

Sent you an e-mail with a price, since I don't want people trying to flood them with orders.
Old 02-29-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm looking for a receiver in the $200 range. I don't really ever get to crank up the volume, so I don't need anything spectacular. Any ideas? Brands to stay away from?
Old 02-29-04, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Check out the Onkyo site. They usually have some great deals on refurbished stuff. And most of the time it is refurbished due to a minor cosmetic flaw.
Be careful about Onkyo stuff. I use to think Onkyo was good quality brand. So I got their refurbished Onkyo DR-C500 DVD player/receiver. It was one of the worst purchase I ever did. When I first played anamorphic discs, it would display random pixels on screen. After I took it to a local Onkyo authorized repair shop, they said it was a problem with the mpeg decoder. So they replaced it. Now I get another problem with the receiver/player. When I load a disc, it would sometimes fail to load the disc. Sometimes it takes many tries before the disc is run properly. This occur with many dvd discs and I've tried them on different dvd players without any problem. So the problem has to do with the Onkyo player/receiver.

With all these problems with the Onkyo, I don't recommend anyone to get Onkyo anymore. Unless you feel lucky or don't mind having to take your Onkyo to a repair shop 1 week after you get your unit, I suggest you don't get Onkyo.
Old 02-29-04, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by monkeyboy
I'm looking for a receiver in the $200 range. I don't really ever get to crank up the volume, so I don't need anything spectacular. Any ideas? Brands to stay away from?
Refurb Panasonic SA-HE200 $199.88 at JandR.com

Do it and don't look back. Best deal for $200.
Old 03-01-04, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
Refurb Panasonic SA-HE200 $199.88 at JandR.com

Do it and don't look back. Best deal for $200.
I saw that one listed above and it looks like a good one, I just worry about only having a 90 day waranty on a refurbed item.
Old 03-01-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never had a problemwith a refurb (esp. receivers, with minimal mechanical parts). The Panny has good reviews; personally, I'd still go with a Denon 180x or 280x. I really like the sound and reserve 'punch' of Denon receivers.
Old 03-01-04, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by drmoze
I've never had a problemwith a refurb (esp. receivers, with minimal mechanical parts). The Panny has good reviews; personally, I'd still go with a Denon 180x or 280x. I really like the sound and reserve 'punch' of Denon receivers.
The $200 Panasonic was a recommendation for someone other than the original poster.... but if you can tell me where to find one of those Denon models you mentioned for $200 I'd be most grateful
Old 03-04-04, 12:00 AM

The $200 Panasonic was a recommendation for someone other than the original poster.... but if you can tell me where to find one of those Denon models you mentioned for $200 I'd be most grateful
OK Dah-Dee, I ordered the Panasonic. If I have any problems I'm coming after you.
Old 03-04-04, 07:41 AM

OK Dah-Dee, I ordered the Panasonic. If I have any problems I'm coming after you.
Old 03-24-04, 11:19 AM

So I got the Panasonic. It's a great receiver. My question is about how hot this thing gets. I'm not even cranking up the volume on the unit. Just listening to the radio at pretty low volume makes this get VERY hot. There's a fan on the back, but it doesn't seem to be running and the manual says that it only comes on in high power circumstances. Is this normal? This is definitely the highest quality receiver I've had.
Old 03-24-04, 11:24 AM

It's ok, I don't know where you live.

Yet.
Old 03-24-04, 01:06 PM

It's ok, I don't know where you live.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.