Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD players with DVI output? Plus DVI connector question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-09-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read about the Samsung DVI DVD player and apparently it has some problems outputting different aspect ratios. Are there any others out there that are recommended?

And also, if your TV has only one DVI input and you have one of these players and an HD receiver what do you do?
Old 02-09-04, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only aspect ratio problem I know has to do with a 931 connected to a Samsung DLP via dvi. The Samsung DLPs only allow wide and wide(pc) via dvi. This causes 4:3 material and non-anamorphic widescreen to be stretched. The common solution is to use a component imput for those types of disks.

Two companies make dvi switches - Gefen and Pacific Cable. They aren't cheap and currently the Gefen has IR code conflicts. You can do a search over at avsforum to get the sccop on them.

Some people have created a "manual switch" by using 3 dvi cables. M-M cables connected to each component, and a M-F to the tv. Of course you have to get up to unplug/plug the cables each time.

I only bought the 931 because 95% of my viewing is dvd and it wasn't too expensive. I plan to replace it when a better model becomes available.