Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Budget Home Theatre Sound - Need a system that doesn't suck for under $500

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Budget Home Theatre Sound - Need a system that doesn't suck for under $500

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Thanks everyone for the creative thinking regarding the budget. Sounds like my best bet is to start small and work my way up. I have a Fry's not too far from me...I'll check out the Onkyo 501. Dah-Dee mentioned the Paradigm Atom speakers; the reviews seem promising. I'll demo some speaker brands and see what I think.
Old 01-31-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For another suggestion on the sub, here's a review of the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer that, like the review says, has a cult following due to its price/performance ratio: http://www.cheaphometheater.com/sony-sawm40.htm

The reviewer mentioned Home Theater Forum (HTF), and in fact there's a member over there in the 'Hardware for sale/trade' forum with the same sub (even with the famous polyfill mod already done!) for $100, in "mint condition." Definitely worth checking out, as it's my impression, having been an HTF member for a couple of years now, that the folks frequenting those forums are generally serious about their audio/video equipment. I have the same sub in my own setup and have been very happy with it. It's discontinued (replaced with a different model by Sony that's apparently not quite the bang-for-buck deal that the 40 is) and hard to find; I'm surprised the guy on HTF hasn't sold it yet, even though it's only been there a couple of days.

Edit: I'd now recommend the refurb Onkyo 501, or the Panasonic SA-XR25, along with the Paradigm Atoms, and the Sony SA-WM40 from the HTF guy (if he promises to pack it safely for shipment!).

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-31-04 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For little over $300, I got a KLH 6.1, 600-watt reciever and 6.1 speaker system from best buy. I was only able to use my giftcards that I got for Christmas (wives can be royal pains with budgets). I cant complain, the sub is a little weak since it is only at 50-watts, but it serves its purpose. I know its not the greatest system out there, but its affordable, sounds pretty good, and you could even buy some decent cables and dvds to boot.
Old 02-03-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a DVD/Sound System (JVC JVC RXDV3SL 100W X5 Receiver ) I bought refurbished:

Region Free:
http://www.codefreedvdplayers.com/MS...v3sl_DTL.shtml

Refurbish website ($ 189.00):
http://www.gopcplus.com/pcplus/produ...roductID=90908

Review Website (Crutchfield)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5A7F4uC...p?i=257RXDV3SL
Key Features:

Region-free PAL NTSC playback, regions 1-6
100 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 40Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.8% THD
100 watts x 5 min. RMS, into 8 ohms, 1kHz, 0.8% THD
Integrated, on srceen display, with smart disc system
JVC Unified A/V Remote Control
Direct Digital Progressive Scan DVD Player
DVD Features: Variable search,slow, Resume play, Digest, Strobe, Angle and Zoom, JPEG Playback
96kHz/24-Bit audio D/A Converter, 10-bit/54Mhz video D/A converter
Dolby Digital and DTS decoders built-in for theater quality surround from digital sources
Dolby Pro Logic II,Dolby Pro Logic in Full Digital Processing
Fully Discrete Outputs to ensure greater fidelity and longer life
Digital Acoustics Processor (DAP) with 5 preset sound fields digitally recreates these venues in your own home.
A/V Compulink
Fluorescent Display
Line level Sub Out
2 Composite Video Inputs
Component Video out
2 S-video in/out
2 Assignable Digtial Inputs (1 Optical, 1 Coaxial) that you can designate to any digital source
1 Optical out
2 Composite Video In/Out
2 Main Speaker Terminals
15 AM and 30 FM station memory
High-Rigidity Z-Chassis

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 02-03-04 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stay away from HTIB systems.. even the half way decent once like the onkyo will start sounding small quickly. I persoanlly heard the Onkyo one and was not impressed.
I agree that you will be much happier in the long run with an HT system you build slowly out of quality components.
here is what i would do..
1. dayton sub listed above - excellent sub for the price(have it, could not be happier - blows away the onkyo sub)
2. Try to find a decent receiver on the sites mentioned above. Dennon, HK, Onkyo, Yamaha are all good brands and can be found in the 140-300 price range with features like DD, dts, component switching, 6.1, etc. - figure out which features you would particulary like to have.
3. Dont forget to check local classifieds for used speakers. Quality speakers like Polk, B&W, Boston Acoustics, Klipsch can be found for pennies on the dollar.
4. If unable to find them used.. Fry's has the Polk R30, R40, R50 towers on sale every other month or so for anywhere from $100-$140 a set.
Old 02-03-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I'd follow the first piece of advice you received. At that price range (hell, maybe even at twice that price range), you're not going to do better than the Onkyo HTS760. I'd at least investigate that option.
Old 02-05-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be getting my surround system going pretty soon. I have a real basic question. Is it best to to stay with the same brand for all your speakers? Or is it ok to mix and match?

I have a Pioneer VSXD812K receiver and a Sony KV-34HS510 Widescreen TV.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a good idea to stay with the same type speakers for your front 3. That does not just mean same brand, but same model line. (speaker size/material, crossover, etc.) this makes for a seamless change of sound from one speaker to the other. That does not mean that it can't be done with different manufacturers, but a lot harder to do right.
Subwoofer does not need to be matched, and rear speakers can be different... as long as they use a simillar technology as the rest. For example, it's probably not a good ideal to match speakers with horn tweeters(Klipsch) and silk dome tweets(Polk).. the sound will be different.
Old 02-11-04, 08:10 PM

How about an update, Wannabe?
Old 02-13-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
I think NikePenguin is on the right track with the budget involved; maybe you should, as you discussed above, go with a good pair of speakers for now, along with a small sub, to go with a decent receiver. I suggest you look for a pair of good bookshelf speakers, not floor-standers, as you may be able to get more for your money with a pair of good small speakers and a small sub. Then, later, when you expand the system, you can use the bookshelf speakers as surrounds and maybe go with floorstanding front speakers along with a center speaker to match the new fronts. Anyway, just an idea. As far as the speakers to look at for a 2.1:

This Dayton sub ($124.88 with free shipping) has gotten good user reviews over at HTF and AVS: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7

The Paradigm Atoms have gotten *excellent* pro and user reviews ($189/pr) (recently won the AVS member poll for best value in small bookshelf speakers); here's the Stereophile review (please note that we're talking about nit-picky audio geeks reviewing here! ): http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/664/

That would leave (almost) enough to get the refurb Onkyo 501, although you could keep looking around and you might find a better deal on that or something similar.

Edit: One receiver I hadn't mentioned yet but which has also gotten good user reviews at HTF/AVS is the Panasonic SA-XR25, a digital-amp receiver that can be had (new, not refurb) for approx. $230 at various online sellers. I think Circuit City also carries this, so you may be able to find a good deal on an open box or display to stay closer to your limit.
It's kind of surreal reading this post, as this is the EXACT system I setup for my bedroom theater. The Atoms, Dayton sub, and Panny receiver. I have moniter series Paradigms and sub, with a Denon receiver in my living room, and my bedroom setup isn't much of a step down. I just bought 3 pairs of the Atoms. My weak link is the sub--I'm contemplating getting an HSU--but it's still killer. I bought an X1 projector and watching movies at 104" is amazing. For a little over $2,000 for everything (got my 5 disc DVD player for Xmas) people are simply floored. That's less than the cost of a big screen TV. I have a 65" TV in the living room but it just sits there idle while I watch films on my "cheap" bedroom system.

It's probably a little more than the original poster wants to spend (the Atoms, anyway) but I doubt too many would be unhappy with them. I wall mounted mine--they're predrilled to accept speaker mounts--and they look and sound excellent. Not bad at all for music either.
Old 02-13-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By the way, the Rocket Tykes from http://www.av123.com that I mentioned earlier are on sale for $399. I may put in an order for them at that price. We'll see how that goes.
Old 02-14-04, 01:15 AM

Magnolia A/V has the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 for $299.
Old 02-19-04, 12:44 AM

I have to go along with the train of thought that you need to stay away from a HTIB ordeal. I done it when I first started out due to a budget and now I regret it and am having to spend more money to replace everything. It'll save you money in the long run, if you put it together slowly, instead of buying a "jack of all trades" system, because, if you're serious about your HT, then within a few months, the new factor will wear off and you'll notice all the flaws inherited with a HTIB item.