Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone Have the Cyberhome CH-DVR 1500 DVD Recorder?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Wal-Mart sells this for $248. Pretty cheap for a DVD recorder, but is it a piece of crap? I read one review online where the buyer tried two units and each one had trouble recognizing any kind of disc that was inserted, and then ejecting it. Anyone else have problems with this machine?
Old 01-22-04, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You probably get what you pay for on this one, but here's some reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...stomer-reviews
Old 01-23-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by stinkeye
You probably get what you pay for on this one, but here's some reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...stomer-reviews
Thanks, but when I clicked on the link, the amazon page said the product had not yet been released and so there were no customer reviews for it.
Old 01-24-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go for the Liteon LW-5001 DVD+R/RW recorder if you want an inexpensive model. Compusa has it for $249 after rebate. It has a firewire input and it works very well as a recorder. It has a very easy to use interface. I don't think the Cyberhome has firewire. Also Gateway has rebadged the Liteon model under their own name and sells it for $299.

Link for LW-5001 for $249

Last edited by namlook; 01-24-04 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by namlook
Go for the Liteon LW-5001 DVD+R/RW recorder if you want an inexpensive model. Compusa has it for $229 after rebate. It has a firewire input and it works very well as a recorder. It has a very easy to use interface. I don't think the Cyberhome has firewire. Also Gateway has rebadged the Liteon model under their own name and sells it for $299.

Link for LW-5001 for $229
namlook,

How do you come up with a final price of $229 for this? I clicked on the link. The original price was $329, and with $80 in rebates it drops the price to $249. I don't see a third rebate for another $20 off.

Have you used this model? I don't care about firewire, but I do care about the clarity of the recordings. Are they sharp?

By the way, do you know if this machine will let you add to the ends of recordings on RW's (add a scene to the end of an existing program) or would you have to start a second program? I used to have a Philips recorder, and it would let you add a scene to the end of an existing program without having to create a second program. I don't know if all recorders can do that or just certain ones.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-04, 05:24 PM

whoops, try here:

http://www.dvd-recorder-buying-guide...-recorder.html
Old 01-24-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Joe Schmoe
namlook,

How do you come up with a final price of $229 for this? I clicked on the link. The original price was $329, and with $80 in rebates it drops the price to $249. I don't see a third rebate for another $20 off.
My mistake. I actually bought this a few days ago when CompUSA had a 10% off all purchases (online and in-store) so that's why I was thinking another $20 off. Anyway, yes, it's $249 now. At least shipping is only 1 penny still.

A nice feature is this player can be made region free and plays PAL DVDs.

Here's a forum dedicated to the LW-5001 if you want to research it some more and find out what it can do:

Liteon LW-5001 forum
Old 04-28-05, 03:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread from hell, but man, this is such a peice of crap. I got one today at Target for $129, and it is utter garbage.

1. Disc tray freezes. Good luckgetting your disc out later
2. My comonent cables do not work. Works fine on my Xbox and cheap $40 DVD player, not on this.
3. TV Tuner is horriable.

AVOID this machine! I plan on returning this POS tomorrow.
Old 05-29-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i was thining of picking this up for 99 dollars at best buy but i think i am gonna pass
Old 05-29-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm pretty sure Cyberhome interchangeable with garbage. That Jackson case is just cyberhome. When she cheated on me I felt like cyberhome. Honey, please take out the cyberhome.

I was doing a search for portable dvd players a while back and found that most cyberhome products were not very good. At the very least it is not a safe to be one of the first people to buy it.
Old 05-29-05, 06:33 PM
Suspended

the best buy recorder is the newer version Cyberhome, not the older 1500 model..
it's the dvr1600 with firewire input..

dunno is it's any better, but for less than $100, i wouldn't expect too much
Old 05-30-05, 10:43 AM

DID have one till janurary of this year. good will it lasted,paid$248.00 +tax.
good while it lasted. then after awhile, it would not read vcds,and display some as mp3.
gor really hot in standby mode,would not finalize disc properly,so it could not be read by other places but the cyberhome.the one day i decide to turn the switch off in the back.so it would get hot, i did this a few times so it would stilll work. this was the final time. a few days later, i decided to watch ior record something,flipped the switch and, nothing, it would power on but the tray would not open. try everything to get it open. took it apart to see if i could recieve trhe blank dvd+r disc inside,couldnt. the connector to the cord i think blew renfering ito to not open or something. trashed it
a few weeks later, i thought about buying another one to play the disc that did not finalize. I did Not buy another one.instead a few weeks later I bought the liton 4045 hdd/dvd recorder for $400,best thing i ever spent. recording to the hdd is good,you dont have to dvd disc handy untill you ready to store them to disc to make room for the hdd.

I dont know anything about the supposed"New one" but I dont think it holds a candle to the hdd/dvd recorder from liton with all=write technolgy.my 2 cents.
Old 05-30-05, 12:56 PM
Suspended

i had a friend but this at best buy last night, after telling him you get what you pay for.

it came with a free 10 pack of dvd+rs, anfd so far he's burned 3 from a camcorder with no problems..

it was also region free, straight out of the box..