Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Promblems with Comcast HDTV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 08:09 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the Boston area and have had HDTV with Comcast since August, using the Motorola HD box. I've noticed that on ABC's HD channel (805), the sound level goes up and down through HD broadcasts. When watching FOX (825) and NBC (807), I notice the picture will occasionally display artifacts in a small portion of the screen for a split second. I'm convinced that this is a broadcasting problem and not a problem with my HDTV since the problems are unique to the channels and are consistent. Also, I've swapped out the Motorola box and the problem is still there. Customer service told me that they've been having issues with the HDTV broadcasts and that they'll soon clear up. Anyone else have these symptoms?
Old 01-13-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes. I see the pixelization and audio dropouts sometimes, on some channels. On a ABC and NBC I get the black screen that says "Please wait. This channel will be available shortly." Sometimes for a few seconds and other times for a minute or more. I'm sure it is not your TV. My guess is it is either a low signal strength or some sort of interference with the signal.
Old 01-14-04, 06:01 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had Comcast out here and they've verified that the signal is good and that they have had others reporting similar issues. I'm just wondering how long it takes them to get this stuff fixes since its been going on for so long!?
Old 01-14-04, 09:50 AM

In my experience, Comcast is slooooooow at getting anything done. Unfortunately, if the issue is not affecting a LARGE number of customers, they won't give it much attention. Since HD is relatively new and only used by a minority of their customer base, my guess is we won't see much improvement any time soon.
Old 01-14-04, 11:40 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by taa455
In my experience, Comcast is slooooooow at getting anything done. Unfortunately, if the issue is not affecting a LARGE number of customers, they won't give it much attention. Since HD is relatively new and only used by a minority of their customer base, my guess is we won't see much improvement any time soon.
That's exactly what I thought! Oh well...wait it out I guess!
Old 01-14-04, 12:11 PM

Yeah, I hope Comcast will add FoxHD this fall (or whenever Fox starts broadcasting in Hi-Def.) I won't be holding my breath. There are several other HD stations Comcast doesn't carry like Discovery, PBS, HDNet, Fox (ED). I'm not sure if they have the ability to carry those or not.

Last edited by taa455; 01-14-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-14-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I hope Comcast will add FoxHD this fall (or whenever Fox starts broadcasting in Hi-Def.) I won't be holding my breath. There are several other HD stations Comcast doesn't carry like Discovery, PBS, HDNet, Fox (ED). I'm not sure if they have the ability to carry those or not.
I thought HDNet was offered by one satellite company because it's their channel? Either way, my comcast HD service has PBS and Fox (ed)... I actually have a pretty good selection for $5 a month - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, HBO, SHO, ESPN and two "InHD" channels.
Old 01-14-04, 11:41 PM

Comcast HD offerings are not national. We do get the Fox "widescreen" channel in my area. But we do not get ABC or PBS, which are available elsewhere...
Old 01-15-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the HD channels I get from Comcast are: HBO, MAX, SHO, INHD, INHD2, PBS1, PBS2, ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX.
Old 01-15-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
HD Net is on Direct TV
Old 01-15-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When you lose the signal on an HD channel are you able to switch over to a non-HD version of the channel? I'm imagining watching Alias in HD and something insane is about to happen when the screen goes black. Can you flip to regular TV?
Old 01-15-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
When you lose the signal on an HD channel are you able to switch over to a non-HD version of the channel? I'm imagining watching Alias in HD and something insane is about to happen when the screen goes black. Can you flip to regular TV?
Yeah, you still get the standard definition channels. I watch them if what I want isn't braodcast in HD - the HD channels pillar box 4:3 material, I'd rather use one of the stretch modes.
Old 01-15-04, 01:44 PM

I've had problems with the Comcast HD channels. Blank screen for the freaking Sugar Bowl. GRRRRRRR. Same thing has happened with the ABC HD channel numerous times. I'm not sure if it's the box, the cable, ABC, or something else. I *do* know that it's extremely aggravating.