Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wireless 6.1 Rear Center Speaker??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, having just got the Pio 912K reciever with 6.1 ability (over my Sony 975 with only 5.1), i have my rear speaker wire going under my brand new carpet (didnt think I was getting 6.1), and want to know if it is possiable to get a wireless rear center speaker? I have easy access to a AC outlet... I am moving in 6 months and dont want to take time to really hide the wire since I wont be here much longer... Is there any way to do this??? Thanks so much
Old 01-11-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My question would be to you, " why would you bother buying a wireless speaker that would sound like garbage just to avoid a single cable run"? Wireless speakers are horrible sounding and will stand out (making you cringe) when compared to your wired speakers. I would just hold off until the move and then do a proper wired 6.1 setup.
Old 01-11-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just run a longer piece of speaker wire along with one of your other rear channels. That's what I do anyway, I just have all 3 together.
Old 01-12-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it was just an idea I had since I really wanted the 6.1, but just cant run another wire
Old 01-12-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Just take our advice and DO NOT buy a wireless speaker. It would be better to keep the 5.1 system for now.
Old 01-12-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I giuess I will just likve with the 5.1 untill I move out in a few months
Old 01-12-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by REL77
Yeah, I giuess I will just likve with the 5.1 untill I move out in a few months
You are not really missing anything dramatic.

If you only have 5.1 and the source material is 6.1 the rear center channel will be matrixed into the two rear channels.

I cannot think of anything at this point that really stands out in terms of rear center channel sounds and I have a 6.1 setup.
Old 01-12-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, it just seems like a shame to me i guess, but I will make due with what i have
Old 01-12-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What IS out there that has 6.1? I made a point to buy a 6.1 reciever and speakers for Christmas, but it doesnt seem like much is out in 6.1. Is it just that its taking time for stuff to come out since 5.1 is still the standard? I know they are already selling 7.1 equipment, and my fear is they will just skip right over making anything in 6.1 and just set 7.1 as the standard. Does this make sense?
Old 01-12-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
What IS out there that has 6.1? I made a point to buy a 6.1 reciever and speakers for Christmas, but it doesnt seem like much is out in 6.1. Is it just that its taking time for stuff to come out since 5.1 is still the standard? I know they are already selling 7.1 equipment, and my fear is they will just skip right over making anything in 6.1 and just set 7.1 as the standard. Does this make sense?
Any DVD you see with DTS-ES (discrete & matrixed) or DD-EX (matrixed) is a 6.1 format DVD. Since there is NO 7.1 home surround format for home theaters it will be either 5.1 or 6.1 for the foreseeable future. Yes there are receivers with 7.1 but it is NOT 7.1 discrete channels but a 6.1 format with an additional second rear center mirroring the first rear center.
Old 01-13-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
You are not really missing anything dramatic.

If you only have 5.1 and the source material is 6.1 the rear center channel will be matrixed into the two rear channels.

I cannot think of anything at this point that really stands out in terms of rear center channel sounds and I have a 6.1 setup.
I can think of many DVDs in DTS-ES Discrete or DD-EX that sound wonderful in 6.1:
LOTR:FOTR EE
LOTR:TTT EE
T2: EE
Freddy Vs. Jason
Se7en
Blade 2
Underworld
Just to name a few. If you have the system to reproduce the sound, it adds a nice dimension to surround sound. A 7.1 system sounds better even due to better imaging coming from 2 channels in the rear as apposed to 1. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 01-13-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that for the DVD's made with DTS/ES and DD-EX you do get a a bit nicer rear surround BUT the addition of a lousy rear center wireless speaker would negate any added pleasure of the additional center rear.
Old 01-14-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any DVD you see with DTS-ES (discrete & matrixed) or DD-EX (matrixed) is a 6.1 format DVD. Since there is NO 7.1 home surround format for home theaters it will be either 5.1 or 6.1 for the foreseeable future. Yes there are receivers with 7.1 but it is NOT 7.1 discrete channels but a 6.1 format with an additional second rear center mirroring the first rear center.

Awwww...ok thanks, I was getting a little confused and being new to Home video/audio, this makes more sense to me.
Old 01-14-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Frank S
I agree that for the DVD's made with DTS/ES and DD-EX you do get a a bit nicer rear surround BUT the addition of a lousy rear center wireless speaker would negate any added pleasure of the additional center rear.
Exactly what I'm thinking
Old 01-20-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Is there any hope someday for wireless speakers? Say if the signal was broadcast digitally?