Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Hitachi 57F500 or other HDTV settings comparisons

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-04, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to know what HDTV you have and what your calibrated settings are for comparision purposes which you use for watching DVDs.

Contrast: 45
Brightness: 45
Color: 15
Tint: middle
Sharpness: 35

That's what I am using. Haven't got the AVIA or such DVD yet to calibrate.
Old 01-05-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Asking for others settings is absolutely useless since each HDTV will have varying settings that have no comparitive basis to your HDTV's settings. Even the exact same make & model you have will most likely have different settings then yours (even if both TV's were calibrated similarly).

Just buy a AVIA DVD and calibrate you HDTV and you'll be fine. I will say that until you do calibrate your HDTV that you keep your contrast down to at least 40% level and brightness to under 50% to avoid burn-in.
Old 01-05-04, 07:17 PM

Frank, I know, I know.

But I wanted to see some comparisons.

Thanks for the good advice on the settings for contrast and brightness to prevent burn in.
Old 01-05-04, 08:18 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

or in another mode,

Old 01-05-04, 11:56 PM

Wow, didn't know some TV can go to the minus or negative setting. I think mine's go only to zero. Have to check it out. Taping The Pianist now with the DVR with Dishnetwork (just installed a few days ago) and will check after it is done later.

On another note, I was trying before to "calibrate" with the THX optimizer on certain DVDs. Failed on the first test with the whites.
Couldn't figure out what it meant. The black test was ok to figure out, but the color and sharpness one was tough. I wonder if the AVIA disc is easier to do.
Old 01-06-04, 12:11 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by TheOne
I wonder if the AVIA disc is easier to do.
It is.
Old 01-06-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, didn't know some TV can go to the minus or negative setting. I think mine's go only to zero.
This is why Frank said this type of question is useless. Every brand uses a different scale and every TV even from the same brand will need to be set different.

On another note, I was trying before to "calibrate" with the THX optimizer on certain DVDs. Failed on the first test with the whites.
Couldn't figure out what it meant. The black test was ok to figure out, but the color and sharpness one was tough. I wonder if the AVIA disc is easier to do.
THX tests on some DVDs are specific to that disc so the results will vary with the next disc you play. Using the THX test without the color filters means it's impossible to set color and tint with it also. Go get your Avia and use that. It comes with the color filters and has more thorough instructions and examples on how to do the tests.