Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me upgrade my speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

So I've got a powerful, fairly high-end home theater setup that I'd like to upgrade to deliver fantastic multichannel audio. I have a Denon 5800 receiver, and I plan to buy the Denon 2900 DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD player within the next few months.

I want to upgrade my Atlantic Technology 270 series speakers to a speaker package that includes powerful floor-standing mains and a subwoofer. Looking for recommendations below 3 grand (for the entire package).
Old 12-29-03, 06:13 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking at a complete setup of Paradign speakers and so far they seem to be a great value for the money. Here is what my setup is going to be in a few weeks:
Fronts: Monitor 11 v.3
Center: CC370 V.3
Side rears: ADP370
Back rears: Mini Monitors
The whole system should cost around 2300.00.
I am still trying to decide on a new DVD player. Either a Denon 910 or a Denon 1200. I would love to get a Denon Reciever but I need to sell my Onkyo TXDS989 first.

If you want to spend more money the Paradigm Reference speakers blew me away, but they were almost twice the price for the same amount of speakers.

I hope that helps you in some way,
Old 12-30-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fronts and rears:4- Klipsch RF-35B (BLACK) $1800($450 each)
center:Klipsch RC-35B (BLACK) $360
subwoofer:SVS 16-46PCi Subwoofer with
320 watt built-in Amp $649

total budget: $2809.

The klipsch pricing I got from goodguys.com and the svs is from svsubwoofers.com

I think this speaker system would be a great system. I own the center channel and the older version of the Rf-35's. I already owned a sub so I could not buy this sub.

I use them with a Denon 2802 receiver. I think Denon receivers work well with Klipsch speakers.

good Luck.
Old 12-30-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Paradigm Monitor series speakers are wonderful for the money.

Look at Hsu subs for bang for buck. The VTF-2 is a lot of sub, and a very musical one at that, for very little money. Probably hard to go wrong with SVS either.
Old 12-30-03, 03:28 PM

Cool advice, guys. Thanks! Are the Paradigms good for both movies and music?

Any others?

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 12-30-03 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-31-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Cool advice, guys. Thanks! Are the Paradigms good for both movies and music?

Any others?
If you are looking at Paradigm I would also look at B&W
Old 12-31-03, 07:22 AM
Cool New Member

Check out Axiom Audio. www.axiomaudio.com. These speakers get rave reviews and you buy directly from the manufacturer - so you save some money.

There is a good website which recommended these speakers for a budget of $5000 or less: http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/...mid_system.php
Old 12-31-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Originally posted by lccalvert_1999
Check out Axiom Audio. www.axiomaudio.com. These speakers get rave reviews and you buy directly from the manufacturer - so you save some money.

There is a good website which recommended these speakers for a budget of $5000 or less: http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/...mid_system.php
Here's more on Axiom:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=axiom
Old 01-01-04, 12:55 AM

Axiom. Worth checking into. A lot cheaper than the Paradigms I just auditioned. And those are some great links. Thanks!

Keep 'em comin'.
Old 01-01-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What don't you like about your Atlantic 270 package? I thought they made pretty good home theater stuff. You maybe just shelling out money to buy stuff that is equivalent to what you already have. If you are looking for something more musical I would shy away from Klipsch altogether. The Canadian brands tend to have good value with Paradigm/PSB/Energy/Mirage. I would take a hard look at B&W and the newer Magnepan home theater system and pair it with the small HSU Research sub myself. Don't be fooled by the price and specs of the HSU sub, it will perform seamless in a mid-size room.
Old 01-01-04, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the comments, svadas. You ask a good question. My feeling about the Altantics is that they're terrific for home theater but not great at music. They're good, but they don't give that warmth and richness that I want for high-end audio. For that, I think I need a couple of powerful floorstanding mains.

I suppose I could just upgrade to larger Atlantics in the front, but honestly, I just want a whole new speaker package.
Old 01-01-04, 02:47 PM
Cool New Member

I have been reading this post for the past couple of days because I am getting ready to purchase new speakers myself and I wanted to let everybody know that I went to the Axiom website and then I was impressed with the pricing and selection, I emailed there customer service department and they responded within 2 hours and answered all my questions and gave me a couple different packages to look at. Both packages were at least 500.00 cheaper than any Paradigm package. I am just wondering if anybody has heard these speakers before, considering you can not listen to them in any stores?
Old 01-01-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
KEF, B&W & NHT are may favorites. But there are many, many, MANY good speakers out there. And by good I mean what you might like. If you like it, it is good.