DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Denon 1200? Samsung HD931? Son DVPNS725P (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/335684-denon-1200-samsung-hd931-son-dvpns725p.html)

OHBALLCOACH 12-14-03 06:07 PM

Denon 1200? Samsung HD931? Son DVPNS725P

I have narrowed my dvd player choices down to these three and if anybody can give me some input as to which one they would recommend, i would appreciate it.
I have a Hit 57T500 and want the best picture i can get with DVDs.

Thanks

Bagheera 12-14-03 09:09 PM

Go for the Samsung since it has the DCDI and the DVI out.

chipmac 12-14-03 09:22 PM

All three are very different players for different uses. it might help if you stated what kind of a display you have and what your needs are. The Denon is very very good at 480p while the Samsung does fake HD by upconverting to 1080i through the DVI output and the Sony is a ..... well a Sony.

NikePenguin 12-15-03 01:23 AM

Does the Hitachi 57T500 have 3:2 Pulldown? If it does, you may not need a progressive scan dvd player. How does your current Sony player look on it?

From what I have read on other forums, the HD931 is best on the Samsung DLP sets. Other HDTV owners have given it very mixed reviews.

Bagheera 12-15-03 02:03 AM

Sony is a ..... well a Sony.

LOL, /agree

OHBALLCOACH 12-15-03 05:51 AM

Nike Penquin, i have a Hit 57T500. I am not sure without checking if it has 3:2 pulldown. If it does not have 3:2 pulldown, then which one?

My question is the three players i listed range in price from 115.00- 350.00 and I just don't know if it is worth the extra money for the more expensive players. Will I be WOW'ed more by one than the other three.

THanks,

steebo777 12-15-03 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Bagheera
Sony is a ..... well a Sony.

LOL, /agree

I second that. Just get the Denon... quality player for a pretty good price.

NikePenguin 12-15-03 01:24 PM

Originally posted by OHBALLCOACH
Nike Penquin, i have a Hit 57T500. I am not sure without checking if it has 3:2 pulldown. If it does not have 3:2 pulldown, then which one?

My question is the three players i listed range in price from 115.00- 350.00 and I just don't know if it is worth the extra money for the more expensive players. Will I be WOW'ed more by one than the other three.

THanks,

Personally, I don't think there is a WOW factor between dvd players. It definitely isn't anything like going from SDTV to HDTV. The differences are going to be subtle and in the details of the picture. If you have a very critical eye, you will notice and appreciate the difference. If you have more of a casual attitude towards your dvd viewing, the differences may not be significant even if you do see them.

If you have the money and just want to be secure in the knowledge you are getting the most out of your set, the Denon is a good choice. You might consider the Denon 910.

If you are very particular about your PQ, buy both from a store with a good return policy to see which looks best to you. That's really the only way to know for certain.

Operationally, I don't care for the Samsung. I prefer my 4 year old Sony. The HD931 is a little slow. The more recent manufactured units do seem to be better than the older ones though and they also come with a dvi cable.