Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

2 (very newbie) DVD questions . . .

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, these are going to seem like dumb questions but I only just got my player and am waiting on an S-Video cable before hooking up . . .

With a standard VHS player the remote includes TV-channel switching functions. Since my DVD player has no such feature, does that mean that a) DVD players, as a rule, do not have this feature -or- b) my DVD player doesn't offer this?

Just trying to become comfortable with the format and realized there were no channel changing buttons (anywhere).

And next, I keep seeing "French Subtitles" etc. on many of the DVD's I'm looking at. Certainly I can turn them off? I mean, just because the DVD offers it doesn't mean I am forced to watch subtitles (!) does it?

Thanks!
Miss Peach
Old 12-08-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
With a standard VHS player the remote includes TV-channel switching functions. Since my DVD player has no such feature, does that mean that a) DVD players, as a rule, do not have this feature -or- b) my DVD player doesn't offer this?

Just trying to become comfortable with the format and realized there were no channel changing buttons (anywhere).

And next, I keep seeing "French Subtitles" etc. on many of the DVD's I'm looking at. Certainly I can turn them off? I mean, just because the DVD offers it doesn't mean I am forced to watch subtitles (!) does it?
Well that depends, my Sony DVD player remote can change channels on my Sony TV. My Denon DVD player has no such feature. Sounds like a manufacturer decision.

Subtitles are not on as a rule but can be enabled in the menu when the DVD starts. Go to sound or audio options to see what you can change about the disc.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-03, 02:43 PM

Re: 2 (very newbie) DVD questions . . .

Originally posted by MISS PEACH

a)
VCRs have tuners built in. DVD players don't have the ability to tune channels so there are no channel changing buttons.

Either on the remote, in the DVD players menu or even the options of the DVD disc itself there should be an option for subtitles. And yes you can turn them off. The only time I've seen where you weren't able to turn them off was in a foreign movie with English subtitles.
Old 12-08-03, 02:55 PM

Re: Re: 2 (very newbie) DVD questions . . .

Originally posted by breaux124
a) VCRs have tuners built in. DVD players don't have the ability to tune channels so there are no channel changing buttons.

b) Either on the remote, in the DVD players menu or even the options of the DVD disc itself there should be an option for subtitles. And yes you can turn them off. The only time I've seen where you weren't able to turn them off was in a foreign movie with English subtitles.
Got it! Thanks guys.

Miss Peach
Old 12-08-03, 09:56 PM

Miss Peach.........
Not trying to be funny, but why are you waiting on an S-Video cable?
You DO know that you can get one almost anywhere?
Wal Mart, K Mart, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...........
Sometimes they are labeled as Super VHS cable..........

or are you just waiting for payday?
in that case, I understand.........
Sorry, but the way you worded it, got my curiosity up.
Old 12-09-03, 04:31 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

or maybe she ordered one online.

and why not use your tv remote to change your tv?

and yes you must use subtitles at all times, and if the movie is available in another language you must watch it in that language, so you better go order a french dictionary

Spoiler:
Old 12-10-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 2 (very newbie) DVD questions . . .

Originally posted by MISS PEACH

It is true there is no tuner in the DVD to change channels; check your HT receiver remote though, it can probably change channels.
I use my receiver remote for everything but most esoteric DVD player functions.

And go to Radio Shack or Best Buy for that video cable and enjoy your machine. The $6 cables are 99.9% as good as the $30 ones.