Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best DVD Player Under $400

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-30-03, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just starting to get into Home Theater and was looking at purchasing a Denon DVD-1600. It has gotten really good reviews everywhere I've read and seems to be a very good choice for the price I've found (MSRP approx 500, found for around $340).

I tried some local stores to check it out in person yet none of them carried it, then I was informed it was discontinued. The saleperson told me the dvd-1200 was the newer version of the dvd-1600(How often do new versions have lower model #'s? Almost never as far as I know). So I started looking at the Denon DVD-2200 assuming it may be the newer 1600.

I was wondering if anyone actually knew if the Dvd-1600 was discontinued and also if there is an upgraded version that exists such as the 1601, or if a different model # is the newer version and if so, how it compares to the 1600.

I'm kind if in a bind of buying a 1600 in the event it is discontinued before they all disappear, or holding out in the event a newer version of it that improves on it's few weaknesses.

Currently I'm using a Onkyo TX-SR600 Receiver, two JBL ND310's for my fronts, a JBL NCENTER , and two JBL N26's for my surrounds. Also if anyone has any opinion of SVS subs, I was looking at an SVS 20-39PCi.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Phil
Old 11-30-03, 05:52 PM

Well i just got my 1600 for 277.77 on the internet and love it alot. I was in the same boat till i found out there was not a feature in the 2200 that i wanted which is when you stop a movie in the middle and shut it down the 2200 will not start at that place. This might not be a big thing for you but for me i fall asleep and shut down and start up the next day. So far for 300 shipped for this player was a good deal. Dvd-1600 is discontinued.
Old 11-30-03, 07:48 PM

I agree that is a really good deal for that price. I don't care too much about that feature but it I'll agree it is a useful one. I'm more concerned with the video quality. I just am wondering if I'll be able to notice an obvious difference in comparision to the current generic dvd player I own to justify the price of the purchase. Assuming it is, I'm trying to find out if the 2200 is at the same video quality level that the 1600 supposedly has.

After reading the DVD benchmarks from http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi the 1600 seems like an outstanding choice. I just wish I knew how the 2200 did on these tests also. I know the 2200 doens't use the same Faroudja chip as the 1600.

I've seen posts saying the 2200 has a softer picture but that can be adjusted after proper calibtration. I wouldn't expect the picture to look just as good going from one dvd player to another with out readjustment.

Essentially, I'm trying to find out if the 2200 just improves on the weaknesses of the 1600. Does anyone know if the 2200 has the chroma bug ? Thanks.

Phil
Old 11-30-03, 10:50 PM

What's your display device?
Old 11-30-03, 11:42 PM

At the moment, my roommate's apex tv....yes...definetly not HT material. I was looking at this 30'' widescreen Samsung. It's the TXN3071WHF. It is a flat screen, wide screen, HDTV. I may hold off on the wide screen though, in that event I'm not really sure though. I know I'd definetly want a flat screen though.

Phil
Old 12-01-03, 06:32 PM

I would get the new 34xbr910 with the 1600 it owns all. Best pic i ever seen. The 2900 and the 2200 use the same video so on the shootout it talks about the 2900 so use that as your guide. The only thing the 2900 does better then the 2200 is auido.

Last edited by issues; 12-01-03 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 02:49 AM

The main question is, how much better is better? I have a Cyberhome dvd player that I haven't noticed any problems with, but I'm not trained like others to notice them (such as the chroma bug) I guess the best way to put it is ignorance is bliss. So as long as the 2200 or 1600 is better in video and audio then what I have currently, I'm sure I'll be pleased since I won't know what the best could be until I make the mistake of seing it when I don't have the money to burn. =)
Old 12-02-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much better is better? Not much anymore, not like it was just two years ago. Money isn't buying better video/sound quality on players now, it's buying more features. Before spending up to $400 on a player I'd look for the features that mean the most to you, and go from there. Even a good universal player is $200-$250 now. Narrow it down and start reading reviews. Buy the cheapest, but best player you can afford and put the rest of the money on a better display device.

The reason I say this is that technology for players has changed radically in the last few years, and quality is much cheaper than it ever was before. As an example, in the last couple of months I've read reviews on the Toshiba SD 3900 in DVD Etc and another mag (either Sound & Vision or Home Theater, I believe) that both say this sub $100 player is only 'subtly' different than an $800 player in terms of picture quality. Pioneer's Elite series universal player is about $250, gets similar reviews and can play SACD's and DVDA's if music is important to you. A little research can save you a lot of money better spent elsewhere on your equipment.
Old 12-02-03, 04:22 PM

If you live in new jersey i know a store that has a brand new in box xp30 for 170.00 let me know.
Old 12-02-03, 04:59 PM

Unfortunatly, I'm not in NJ . I'm in Knoxville,TN in the event there are any vols fans that troll the boards. Being a college student, I'm kind in the situation of trying to make the most efficent purchase. I'm going to upgrade to a better display. I basically am trying to find the dvd player that will give the best possible video and audio for the money. DVD-A and SACD isn't a requirement but if it's a reasonable price difference then it's worth consideration, that's why the denon dvd-1600 was in my sites. It was highly recommended every where I've read. After reading the DVD shoot out on the hometheater hifi site and seing it receive higher ratings then other much higher priced dvd players made it an obvious choice. If only they would do some reviews of new products then I'd be set. So if anyone has any recommendations for progressive scan dvdplayers that pass all the tests that the hifiwebsite throws at it such as the chroma bug, then plz let me know. I'm not brand name crazy or anything, I just want a reliable quality product.
Old 12-03-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by issues
Well i just got my 1600 for 277.77 on the internet and love it alot. So far for 300 shipped for this player was a good deal. Dvd-1600 is discontinued.
Where did you get this from? New, refurb? Thanks!