Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HD Recievers

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HD Recievers

What is a good HD receiver under $400.00 to go with my tv.
Old 10-21-03, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tv do you have and what features are you looking for? Is it for OTA hdtv only? Do you want a dvi connection? DirecTV?
Old 10-21-03, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does not have to have the dvi. I do have dish network and the tv is a philips 55 inch HD ready
Old 10-22-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about DishNet HD receivers, but I have the OTA Samsung HDTV SIRT351. Got it from CircuitCity on sale for $300 and it works great. It's the cheapest receiver out there right now.
Old 10-22-03, 09:12 PM
Banned

I know this may seem like a stupid question but I was wondering if you really need an HD Reciever for your HD TV to make it HD capable? I ask because I'm thinking about getting an HD TV but I only want to use it to watch DVDs and play XBox/PS2. I want to be able to take advantage of the games that support HD but I don't want to fork over another few hundred bucks. The TV's gonna be expensive enough as it is.

Thanks
Old 10-22-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
My understanding is that an HD receiver is to recieve HD OTA [over the air] content, ie, local digital/HD broadcasts from your local networks. Once you get the receiver, and hook it to an antenna, you're set. Much like a satellite receiver is required to receive sat signals.
If all you want is DVD and video games, an HD-'ready' tv will get you going to some extent. You would want a progressive scan dvd player, and you want to hook it up using component cables. You would notice the biggest improvement on anamorphic/'enhanced for 16:9' dvd's. I'm not sure about XBox/PS2's 'high def' content, but I hooked up my Dreamcast to my 60" the other day and it looked pretty cool. Not high def, but most HDTV's have an upconversion capability that makes it look better [usually.]
We just got an HDreadyTV, and are currently using it for DVD, regular sat, and video games. We will go HD in a while, but wanted to hold off on that extra 300 [plus, I would want one with DVI if possible.]
Old 10-23-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rmoore
Does not have to have the dvi. I do have dish network and the tv is a philips 55 inch HD ready
Seeing you have Dish Network I would recommend the Dish 6000 that Dish is selling for a mere $149 for long time customers and $199 for other existing customers. They supply the 6000, both the 8VSB OTA module & 8PSK module and any other additional switches you may need. They will also send someone out to install the 6000 for you and install any of the extra switches you may need all for the $149 or $199 price! Just call up Dish for the offer.

Yes, the 6000 doesn't have the best interface in the world but it is a very solid HD receiver that will give you HD from Dish and your local OTA HD channels as well.

Last edited by Frank S; 10-23-03 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-23-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LeRoy
I know this may seem like a stupid question but I was wondering if you really need an HD Reciever for your HD TV to make it HD capable? I ask because I'm thinking about getting an HD TV but I only want to use it to watch DVDs and play XBox/PS2. I want to be able to take advantage of the games that support HD but I don't want to fork over another few hundred bucks. The TV's gonna be expensive enough as it is.

Thanks
I bought my HDTV primarily to play video games. I previously had a 20" Toshiba analog flat screen TV, and upgraded to a Sony 34xbr800 HDTV. My TV was bought to be used 95% for Xbox, PS2 & Gamecube. But now I also watch more movies now because the TV is better. And I wasn't going to get a HD Receiver, but I got one anyway because I thought, well I spent $2000 for such a nice TV, why not spend a bit more and see all my favorite TV shows in HD? And believe me it makes a big difference seeing Smallville in HD! Kristin Kreuk in HD is sweet! hehe Once you get going on upgrades, it can be hard to stop. But it's also perfectly ok to just use a HDTV for games & no need to buy a HD Receiver. The HD Receiver is only for watching broadcast TV.
Old 10-23-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to both samsung receivers 160 and 165

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mdu5i1N...+hdtv+receiver

I am going to buy the 165 when I start my Part time job at Best Buy.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 10-23-03 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-25-03, 01:49 PM
Banned

Thanks guys! I was getting mixed info from some people I work with at BB. I really don't want to do anything except play games and watch DVDs so I think I'll hold off on the reciever for now.