Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sat and RPTV-pros and cons

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Hello

I'm presently with DISH and currently have it hooked up to a Sony 36" XBR 1998 model. I'm looking into the prospect of upgrading my DISH receiver and getting a 46"-51" RPTV to put into a 11'x11' room. Unfortuantly I don't have anyone with a DISH or DTV that has a RPTV as well that I can look at.

The reason why I'm looking into a RPTV is that our present setup is in the main room (12'x14') thart connects with the dinning area (12'x11') with a 8' opening between them. The wife likes DVD"s ok but she's not into SciFi stuff and anything too loud. Have a Denon and Boston Mico 9000 for sound. This will end up in the garage remodel next year.

In terms of "PQ" is there any problems or issues?

By the way I'm looking at the folowing:

Mitsubishi WS48413
Hitachi 46W500 or 46F500
Sony Kp46W510
Toshiba 51" or 42" H83 model

Thanks for any feedback and info.

Kenny J.

Last edited by K&AJones; 10-18-03 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-17-03, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best thing to do is view SD material on the sets you are considering. Some people can't stand SD on HDTV sets and some are ok with it.

In an 11x11 room, your viewing distance is going to be aroud 7'. That is pretty close for SD on a 51" set. Your Sony XBR is an excellent tv and you will notice a big drop in PQ. How much will HDTV and DVD account for in your overall viewing?

Also, from what I understand, PQ often suffers from the compression of the signal done by Dish, DTV and the cable co's. My first hand experience of SD is on a 61" screen at about 10' from OTA digital broadcast. It is acceptable to me but looks "out-of-focus". SD viewing is less than 5% of my use on the set, though.