Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDTV questions

i read throught the sticky link up top, but still find myself a little confused about this.

today, we got our new pioneer 53" hdtv. DVD's look incredible, cable however looks like crap. our local provider is Adelphia, and we have the "Digital" cable which from what i've been told isn't digital at all.

either way, both that and regular cable look like crap.

my question, will shows that say "Broadcast in HDTV" look better? will i be watching them in HDTV? examples are CSI, Monday night football, ect...

not disappointed in the set, but amazed just how poor cable looks on a big tv like that.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with your cable co to see if you'll be getting the shows broadcast in HDTV actually in HDTV. Might not. If that's the case then get a good UHF antenna and use it to receive the local network HDTV broadcasts over the air.
Old 10-14-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks, i'll give them a ring. though i'm pretty sure that they aren't broadcasting anything in HDTV.

so I can pull HDTV out of air? uhf antenna?

interesting.
Old 10-14-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think an HDTV tuner will do the trick.
Old 10-14-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You have to have a HDTV tuner to get HD. Some expensive sets have them built in while other expensive TV's are just HD ready meaning you need to get the tuner on your own. Next you have to pick up the signal through an antenna, satalite dish or cable operator and ran through the HDTV tuner. Digital cable is a scam, except for pay channels it still is analog and looks like crap. I'm in the same boat as you. I have had this beautiful Sony TV for years without using it to its fullist. Comcast, my local cable company just got HD about a month ago. For the past 2 weeks they have been to my place 6 times and still can't figure out how to hook me up. They don't have a strong enough signal at the source to get HD to my TV and are too stupid to fix it. I am getting very frustrated with Comcast.
Old 10-15-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't have a tuner, guess i'll get one once i've got more hdtv options
Old 10-16-03, 01:27 PM

I was just going to ask the same thing. I live about an hour and a half north of NYC where my local channels like ABC, CBS, NBC etc.. are broadcast from. I have a 50" HDTV and I'm looking to buy an HD receiver. I assume the HD receiver will allow me to get channels like ESPN HD and Discover HD in high def, but what about my local channels? Does Direct TV broadcast those shows like monday night football and CSI in high def? Or do I still have to get a regular antenna? If I get a regular antenna, do I have to hook it up through the HD receiver? I assume so since my TV doesn't have an HD tuner built in. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-16-03, 01:58 PM

Usually getting HDTV from your cable company requires an additional subscription to those HD channels (ESPN HD, Discovery HD). You should check with your cable company. They may actually provide the STB so that you don't have to buy one.

Cable may or may not provide the local HD broadcasts. Most likely, you will need a separate STB and an antenna to get the local HD broadcasts. Check www.antennaweb.org to see the distance and direction to the actual broadcast towers in your area. The site will also tell you what type of antenna you will need.

Don't forget that there are several different types of STBs. Some are for OTA only and some do a combination of OTA/Cable/Directv.
Old 10-17-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your cable company offers High Def they will lease you a HD cable box. I have Comcast in the Chicago area and the lease cost is only $5 a month. For HD through cable you MUST have a HD cable box or you will not get HD from cable. If you buy just a HD decoder box all you will be able to get is any OTA HD that may be available in your area.