Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any reason to wait to buy an HDTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 32" direct view TV, but I would like to upgrade to an HDTV in the near future. My current viewing habits are 60% TV, 20% Gamecube and 20% DVDs. I am trying to decide when it is a good time to get an HDTV. I have heard stories about how people who bought some of the original HDTVs may not be able to have their TVs be fully compatable with future standards.

So far, I have accumulated about $3500 in CC gift cards over the past few years through rebates and the clubs that offer 20% off gift cards. I am itching to use them, but I just cannot pull the trigger. Can anyone give me a good reason to wait, or will the technology over the next five years stay relatively the same? I am not concerned about having TVs get thinner and thinner since I am already looking towards LCD HDTVs. Instead, I am wondering if resolution will drastically change or if HDTV inputs/outputs will change such that it may be worth waiting a year or two. I heard that TVs will soon begin to offer 1080p instead of 1080i - is this really a huge difference worth waiting for and if it is, how long will it take for TVs in my price range to be available with that option? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-07-03, 04:09 AM

There are a lot of sets you can buy for $3500. You should go to CC and take a look at them.

I wouldn't put off buying because of 1080p. It may not be affordable for quite a while and then there may not even be source material for it.
Old 10-07-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I would be incredibly nervous holding $3500 in GC to *any* retailer. What if CC goes under next week?

I'd go grab your HDTV this weekend.

In answer to your general question, the main reason to hold off is that prices are constantly dropping. But I think we've reached the point where prices have dropped enough that it isn't worth holding back... you'd get more enjoyment out of the set now rather than waiting 12 months and saving a few hundred bucks.
Old 10-07-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

go for it now! i did and im loving it (although i have been holding out for the directv hdtv/tivo box to get hdtv). but it has made a difference with xbox and movies so far and i love it...and maybe its in my head but i swear the picture from my directv is better too.
Old 10-07-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Any reason to wait to buy an HDTV?

Originally posted by brentunc
I am wondering if resolution will drastically change or if HDTV inputs/outputs will change such that it may be worth waiting a year or two.
1080p is not going to happen any time soon. Even if it does, it will be way expensive, so you can pretty much forget about resolution for now. In terms of inputs/outputs, if you are really concerned about buying technology that may become outdated, I recommend you get a TV with a DVI/HDCP input port. They may become necessary down the road. In fact, they WILL become necessary - it's just a matter of time. Also you should try to get a TV that will support 720p.

So, to recap: Get a TV that has DVI/HDCP. And 720p. There are enough TVs out there that have both that are under $3500. Go buy a TV now and enjoy.
Old 10-08-03, 09:36 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DO IT NOW! Between the HD signal from XBox, HD Cable, and Progressive Scan DVDs, the picture is awesome! Also, there are enough of the major broadcasters now that offer HD to make it worth it if you're watching it 60% of the times for TV!

Monday night football is awesome in HD
The baseball playoff games have been awesome in HD
The movie channels are incredible in HD
ESPN HD is amazing!
Many of the evening network shows are now in HD!
And...I love Comcast's On Demand....now its just a matter of time before they build up a good library and I will truly minimize trips to the local Video store!