Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are these SPEAKERS any good???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are Panasonic.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandspl...2-sb-tp55.html

It's the only ones I found like this that do NOT include the DVD player/receiver. I don't need that stuff. However, the whole package deal is cheaper for some reason....I'm guessing the speakers in that all-in-one system are inferior.

Or would I be better off getting something different. I honestly don't want to spend the money.

Here is my situation. I currently have a JBL home theater in a box type deal. A Sub and five small cube speakers. I'm buying a house and I have the rear speakers mounted in my brothers basement. He does not want to take them down because it will leave holes...blah blah blah. So, I was looking for a few rear speakers, but I found i'll be spending $80 for those. So, I found a few other systems.

The Onkyo 6.1 with receiver seems really nice....not sure if I have room for the center rear though...i'm not mounting anything in the new house.

Cerwin Vega AVS-632(?). Seems like a decent 5.1 system for $200.

Any others???? Or should I just keep my JBL system and try to find 2 rear speakers to match them.

I also have an older Sony receiver...but it's pretty good still.
Old 09-23-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard them, but Panasonic isn't exactly known for their speakers. I think I'd look into something like this PSB set instead. You won't get a sub with this package, but the speakers are incredible.
Old 09-23-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How about a setup from www.hometheaterdirect.com ?
I hear they are pretty solid for the price...There's defintely better speakers in the $500 price range than Panasonic.

Personally, I have a nice Paradigm Setup.
Old 09-24-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, any more suggestions??? Any recomendations for a set of rear speakers to replace my current JBL cubes....
Old 09-24-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't vouch for them personally but these guys seem to take their speakers very seriously and have some reasonable package deals: http://www.av123.com
Old 09-24-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those Rockets look too good for the price. They even use high end drivers. There has to be a catch, otherwise, wow.
Old 09-24-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by svadas
Those Rockets look too good for the price. They even use high end drivers. There has to be a catch, otherwise, wow.
I think they just cut out the middle man in a big way. You can set up an audition with folks in your area on that site.

Lord how I wish I could spare the space and $$$ for those puppies.
Old 09-24-03, 09:42 PM
Cool New Member

I own Rocket speakers and I'm pretty satisfied with them. The speakers are made in China to cut down on production costs and as Buskerdog stated they cut out the middle man by selling online only. This allows them to sell their speakers at a reasonble price.

Ideally, you should consider what type of sound (very detailed, rolled off, etc.) you're looking for, and then go out and audition speakers that fit that mold. However since you have a set price range in mind, you may want to consider speakers such as Fluance or the Onkyo Home theater in a box speakers that Circuit City sells. Personally, I haven't heard either, but a friend of mine purchased a set of fluance speakers and he's very happy with them.
Old 09-27-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Polk makes some nice speaker combos if you're looking to go that route. I've got Polk bookshelf speakers my mains and a polk center(no polk surrounds YET) and they sound phenomenal. I just got a SACD/DVD-A player last night and these speakers really shine with it. Definately look into Polk along with what the others suggested.
Old 09-27-03, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Being made in china is not really an issue. Most speakers or speaker components are. The factories are quite good. I bet the Panasonics are also made in China.

I have seen products from brands mentioned in this thread being made in China (PSB and Paradigm) along with components for very highend companies.

I would not let that be a factor in picking you speakers.
Old 09-28-03, 01:22 AM

Why don't you get a pair of higher end JBLs for the front and use the cubes for surrounds. That way you have a better music and HT setup without changing everything.

Stay away from the Panasonic. Upgrading your fronts would make a better improvement than buying the Panasonic HTIB.