Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV/HTPC question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 12:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDTV/HTPC question

I have an HTPC in my basement that runs to a projector. I would like to have an HDTV tuner in the HTPC so I can get the local HD channels.

Can anyone advise me about the antennae aspect of this? I realize I could buy an HDTV card, but I'm not sure if I could get any decent reception. AFAIK the house isn't hooked into any large roof antennae and I imagine I'd have to run cable from any antennae I bought down to the basement?

Do I have the gist of it right or is it simpler than that?

I dunno, it kinda feels like too much trouble to me. In January when my brother moves in I'll be getting Digital Cable + HD & I know I can run it down there easily with that for perfect reception. Maybe I should just wait it out, but damnit it'd suck to miss the entire football season.
Old 09-25-03, 12:11 AM

Yes, you understand it correctly.

If you are close enough to the broadcast towers, you can get away using an indoor antennae, although being in a basement does not help. There is a website that will show you distance and direction to your local towers. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the address. I think I came across it in avsforum.com or hometheaterspot.com.

MNF in HDTV is awesome! Fox only does what they call Fox Widescreen (EDTV) for 2 games each week. CBS only broadcasts its game of the week in HDTV. You aren't missing too much.
Old 09-25-03, 12:22 AM

Here's the link:

http://www.antennaweb.org/

Click on the "choose an antennae" button, enter your zip code or address. You will get a list of all the local stations and their relative distances from you.
Old 09-27-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also need a signal in the basement and can't get a single channel with an indoor antenna actually in the basement. I just have a small indoor type antenna (the infamous radio shack double-bowtie) sitting on my back porch and run the cable down into the basement (using same path they use for dish network cables). All I really needed to do was drill a single hole through the brick wall. I also got a 10db signal distribution amp ($15 at bestbuy) and get pretty flawless reception on all my digital locals downstairs now. Its kind of a pain, but works well once its installed.

The nice thing about going the PC route is that you can record HD shows. You won't be able to do that with your digital cable box. Takes about 1 gig per 10 minutes of recording though.