Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best cloth to clean HDTV screen?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Did a search, couldn't find anything.

I have been using a cloth diaper, works pretty good but still leaves some dust. Any better recommendations?

TIA.
Old 09-17-03, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe manufacturers usually recommend a damp cloth. I have used Endust for electronics wipes and similar wipes on my tvs and computer monitors.
Old 09-18-03, 06:25 AM

I bought a 3M MicroFiber cloth at BB for about $7. Seems to do the trick real nicely! It can be washed and reused. I even used it when I took apart my HDTV and cleaned the lenses, mirror, screens, etc.
Old 09-18-03, 12:09 PM

i know everyone freaks out when the brand monster is mentioned, but whatever, get over it...

monster makes some great screen cleaner and rag. its a gel so it doesnt streak or drip even... it just stays right where you spray it. its alcohol and ammonia free so it doesnt take away the anti-glare coating on sets. its nice stuff, especially because it doesnt streak. comes with a nice soft rag that wont scratch, and its like $20.
Old 09-18-03, 03:47 PM

I use "Swiffer" disposable cloths on my Toshiba 50H81 screen!

Works great!

Phil
Old 09-18-03, 04:07 PM

I'll second the swiffer (and/or Pledge grab-its) cloths. Use it/them for all my other electronics as well.
Old 09-18-03, 04:52 PM

I use KimWipes EX-L and distilled water. Here's a place that sells by the box. Bunch of other stuff there too (not affiliated!)

http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/lentiscleanf.html
Old 09-18-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

thanks for all the suggestions, I will definitely try one out.

I have a microfiber wipe/rag/whatever for my sunglasses that works marvelously(on the glasses). No cleaner necessary. Too bad it is only maybe 4"x4".

Keep em coming.
Old 09-18-03, 09:22 PM

I use an ammonia free glass cleaner called Sprayway after reading numerous recommendations on another board.

I picked up a 4-pack at Costco for like $7, but the last couple trips, I haven't seen it there. I also saw it once at another store for $6 for one can.

If you're spraying cleaner or water, spray it directly on the rag to prevent it from running down, and getting under the screen.
Old 09-19-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I use a sock from the floor (there are always ones laying around) to clean the dust off my 53 inch rptv
Old 09-19-03, 12:57 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by shelland
I use an ammonia free glass cleaner called Sprayway after reading numerous recommendations on another board.

I picked up a 4-pack at Costco for like $7, but the last couple trips, I haven't seen it there. I also saw it once at another store for $6 for one can.

If you're spraying cleaner or water, spray it directly on the rag to prevent it from running down, and getting under the screen.
I also use the Sprayway...basically for all glass, porcelin, and other similar types of surfaces. The stuff is amazing for windows, ceramic sinks, microwave doors, card windows, and even TVs!

It sprays on in a foamy texture so it doesn't run at all. I use a terrycloth or other soft cloths to wipe with.
Old 09-19-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My screen is on the outside of the box. Wierd? Yes but it is. Kinda cool. (Sony 57")
Old 09-22-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use a dry microfiber cloth.

I made the mistake of using Swiffers before, and quickly realized that they leave a (surprising) oily residue on the screen.
Old 09-22-03, 11:49 PM
Rest in Peace

For the last 2Years and 7Months I have been using ordinary glass cleaner, no problems have occured on the surface of the screen.
Old 12-22-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I ended up buying the Monster Set mentioned here. With the cloth and gel cleaner. Used it the day I bought it and didn't have to re-apply or wipe the screen at all for over 5 weeks! And I have a dog that sleeps in the tv room, so there is dog hair in there all the time. Not a spec of dust or dog hair for 5+ weeks. :eek

I am amazed at this product. I highly recommend it even though I don't endorse the $20 price tag.
Old 12-22-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do u use these on the Anti-Reflectio/Protection sheild on the outside. I just got a RPTV (57" Tosh) and was going to pick something up that can do this well...
Old 12-22-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the swiffer duster for all my tv's computer's and electronics really pulls in the dust!

Swiffer Duster
Old 12-23-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by REL77
Do u use these on the Anti-Reflectio/Protection sheild on the outside. I just got a RPTV (57" Tosh) and was going to pick something up that can do this well...
It is the only screen I can get to. Whether it is protective or not, who knows. It is glass and it protrudes from the case. (i.e. if you were to draw a rectangle on paper and then draw a slightly larger version outside the original, that is what my tv looks like)

57" Sony HDTV