Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Progressive Scan DVD Player under $150?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 10:13 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family recently bought a 48" mitsubishi HDTV 16x9 TV for our refinished basement and i'm going to simply be blown away by it. But I noticed that the DVD player I am currently using is not progressive scan, and I've heard this is nearly essential to make DVD watching amazing. I will be watching DVD a large majority of the time and I think a nice progressive scan dvd player is a must!

So I was looking for some recommendations in the $100-$150 price range. I'm only 16 years old, and it is tough to come up with a large amount of money quickly.

I have another question..where should I go with the home theater after that. This basically is my area in the house, and I have the key component being the nice TV.

What things should be bought?
I'm definitely thinking a reciever featuring DTS and some speakers. How much are cables neccesary? Such as component..would this be a good purchase for someone like me?

Sorry for all of the questions, i'm just hoping that somone can help me out with a little something. I cannot wait to start piecing a decent HT together in the future!
Old 09-03-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're getting a 2004 model Mits like the 48313 then I'd save your money. The new Mits have greatly improved line doubler from what I hear and you probably wouldn't see that big of an increase in PQ in a progressive player. If you had bought a 55" or bigger than you might notice an improvement but with the smaller size you're better off spending that money on the new receiver. Make sure your turn down the contrast or better yet calibrate the TV with Avia. Happy viewing.
Old 09-03-03, 06:56 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chipmac
If you're getting a 2004 model Mits like the 48313 then I'd save your money. The new Mits have greatly improved line doubler from what I hear and you probably wouldn't see that big of an increase in PQ in a progressive player. If you had bought a 55" or bigger than you might notice an improvement but with the smaller size you're better off spending that money on the new receiver. Make sure your turn down the contrast or better yet calibrate the TV with Avia. Happy viewing.
I have a 2000 Mitsu 65" and have recently tried out several Progressive DVD players (including Panasonic, SONY, Toshiba, and Denon) and found that they made little or no obvious visual improvements to the picture quality. I agree with Chipmac and save your money.
Old 09-03-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ngp
I have a 2000 Mitsu 65" and have recently tried out several Progressive DVD players (including Panasonic, SONY, Toshiba, and Denon) and found that they made little or no obvious visual improvements to the picture quality. I agree with Chipmac and save your money.

Well i told him to save his money since he has a 2004 model with the much improved line doubler. Your 2000 model should see a big improvement since that year's line doubler like my 2001 model simply sucks. After buying a Panny RP56 the improvement was stunning over what the old Panny interlaced player was giving me.
Old 09-03-03, 04:18 PM
Cool New Member

Hmm well thats very good to know! Thanks for the input guys.

I guess I will be buying a reciever as my next purchase. I can always count on you guys for some good input.
Old 09-04-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if your Mitsu has a DVI port on it, you might consider one of those Bravo-1 dvd players. Think the list price is $200-ish. I know Im not going to invest in another dvd player until dvi-out is standard on $150-ish players....

j
Old 09-04-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jekbrown
if your Mitsu has a DVI port on it, you might consider one of those Bravo-1 dvd players. Think the list price is $200-ish. I know Im not going to invest in another dvd player until dvi-out is standard on $150-ish players....

j
Well an upconverting player might be nice but as for the DVI>component hookup being better; so far the popular opinion is that on a CRT based set there is no noticable improvement when DVI is used. Keeping the signal digital from source to display appears to only be useful when the display is a fixed pixel device such as Plasma, DLP or LCD. Since a CRT based set still needs to convert to analog at some point the advantage of DVI is lost. Now in the future DVI might be needed simply from a copy protection standpoint for HD DVD. But that's too far off right now.
Old 09-04-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up a Samsung P231 for $75 at Best Buy. I'm using it to keep my TV show discs in, so I don't have to keep switching discs on my main player when I want to watch a movie/TV episode. The progressive picture is pretty good and it has some nice features for the money as well.