Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Help: Problem with my SONY reciever

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-31-03, 01:22 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I have a Sony STR-DA555ES reciever, and I'm having problems with it. I've been using the unit, just fine, connected to a myriad of devices. Just the other day, while watching a movie (via dvd player) the sound thorugh Dolby Digital and DTS would jus tcut off and on. When using devices through RCA there's no problem. However, I bought this reciever to listen in 5.1. So I disconnected the optical cable, and then reconnected and now I get no sound at all. When the optical cable is connected to the dvd player, the end of the cable glows red. However,when I connect the optical cable just to the reciever, I get no result (no red glow). I wonder if somehow the decoder on my system blew out. And, how is that possible? Anyhow, I've been racking my brain on this for a few days, and don't want to call customer service. Perhaps some of you techno-geniuses can help me solve this. Thanks in advance.

RickDeckard
Old 08-31-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
DVD Players emit the audio code which is the red light you see coming out of the end of the optical cable. The reason you don't see a light coming out of the end when attached to a receiver is because the receiver does not emit any audio signal. It only receives the signal. The exception would be if you had optical outs on your receiver and the signal was passing through your DVD player, into the receiver, and out to another unit (if this was even possible). Then you could check and see if a light was being emitted. My guess is that it would be. But most receivers only have optical inputs because that is where the audio signal is intended, which then is translated by the receiver's own audio processers and DACs. I've only only seen a handful of Audiophile pieces that offer optical outs anyway.

Second, move your optical cable around and see if a light is continuously being emitted from your DVD player. It could be that your optical cable has a microscopic split within the cable line. Optical cables are like glass. Very brittle and they can be split, while the outer casing shows no signs of wear or tear.
Old 08-31-03, 02:54 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the Info POLEZEI. I think I should replace the optical cable with a new better brand. Any suggestions? By the way, does anyone think that there's something wrong with the reciever? I don't understand how the optical cable could've broken. Mainly because the back of the entertainment unit is so unaccessible.
Old 08-31-03, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you replace the optical cable and still experience problems, there might be a problem with the optical input on the receiver. Do you have the option of trying digital coax as an alternative?

If there is a problem with the receiver, is it still under warranty? My experience with Sony's repair centers has been very positive.
Old 08-31-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mr. Salty gives the other scenario of what could be the problem. For what it's worth, I've had audio cables that were sealed off from the environment and still experienced shorts in the cable. I've never had any optical problems though.

Also, make sure your optical cables are not at extreme angles, and have enough slack if anything were to move around.

As a better brand, I'm not sure there really is. I purchased a Monster optical cable and it's worked for years, but I think any optical cable will work. However, I would assume (italics on that word please) that the higher-priced manufacturers would have better quality control on their products.
Old 09-01-03, 10:51 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks everyone,

I replaced the old optical cable with a new Monster THX certified optical cable and everything seems to work fine. I guess the previous cable had a crack inside (probably because someone puled the dvd player from the reciever while connected). Anyhow I really appreciate all the help. I'm so glad that there wasn't a problem with the reciever. I'm just not ready to do that. And if I did I would have to upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1

Thanks again,

RickDeckard
Old 09-01-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"THX certified" optical cable? Hope it didn't cost more than $100!! (BTW, even that cable is likely to fracture and fail if you pull the dvd player out from the receiver!)
Old 09-02-03, 11:28 AM
Cool New Member

Actually it cost $25 at CC for an 8 foot cable. Now I know what the problem was I'm going to be more critical of people messing around with my home theater setup.

RickDeckard
Old 09-02-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

RickDeckard,

Yep. You have to be vigilant. I don't anyone near my system, especially my DVD player. Everyone pretty much knows to stay clear and if friends want to watch a movie they simply ask and give me the movie for me to put in the player. I have them trained.