DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   How to "fluff" a subwoofer with the auto-on feature (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/313433-how-fluff-subwoofer-auto-feature.html)

KillerQ 08-25-03 09:02 AM

How to "fluff" a subwoofer with the auto-on feature

Hey all...

I just bought a wonderful new Cerwin Vega Home Theater Speaker setup. Everything is great except I have one question... The sub has an auto-on feature (there is no constant-on setting), so it automatically turns on and stays on (unless there is a certain extended amount of time w/o bass). However it seems that even when there is an audio stream with a bass signal that should be picked up, the sub takes about 30 seconds before it kicks in. After that it's fine.

Now, my question is -- how can i "fluff" or prime the sub so it's ready to fire (without simply playing the movie). I mean, sometimes the splash screens before the movie will get it firing, but i was wondering if there were any tips or tricks out there on this?

Thanks,

Matt

X 08-25-03 09:17 AM

Doesn't it have an always on setting?

KillerQ 08-25-03 09:39 AM

Haha...

I new someone was gonna ask that -- I should have put it in the initial post... No, there is no constant on option.

Thanks,

Matt

raytseng 08-25-03 01:29 PM

Can you just set the system to use music or TV as the audio input 30 seconds before starting in on your movie? or is that still not a good solution.

RenoGQ 08-26-03 08:03 AM

try turning the sub output level on your receiver up and the gain on your sub down.

Also you want to make sure that your other speakers are set to "small" on your receiver...

jpcamb 08-26-03 08:27 AM

higher a fluffer and when they are not fluffing the sub they can.. oh never mind. I don't know if it helps but I attach my sub to the powered outlet on my reciver, I leave it on all the time but only when the reciver is on is the sub on. Otherwise the unit will occasionaly 'pop' when not in use. :(

cowanrg 08-27-03 09:13 AM

this works almost always...

unplug the sub, unplug the input, plug the sub in, wait 2 seconds, plug the input in. 99% of the time it will kick on immediately.

KillerQ 08-28-03 10:05 AM

Cowanrg,

Hey -- ya know I actually thought about that before.... I think I'll give it a shot. However, i think your method can be modified to a few less steps. Since there is no standby power on the sub, when the switch is on "off", there is no power to the unput, so the unplugging won't be necessary, i can just shut it off. So, now to do what you had said, I can unplug the inputs, turn the sub off, turn the sub back on, wait a few secs then plug the input back in... Cool, thanks...

....now that i think of it, unplugging hte inputs, and plugging them back in may be enough to "jump" the signal..... i'll try both

Matt

audrey 08-28-03 10:50 AM

Originally posted by KillerQ
So, now to do what you had said, I can unplug the inputs, turn the sub off, turn the sub back on, wait a few secs then plug the input back in...
Um...unplugging and reconnecting the interconnect with the sub's power on is not a good idea; you may end up damaging the sub.

Why not just feed TV audio to the receiver while you’re loading the disc? By the time the disc spins up and the menu loads, the sub should have kicked in.

KillerQ 08-28-03 11:58 AM

Originally posted by audrey
Um...unplugging and reconnecting the interconnect with the sub's power on is not a good idea; you may end up damaging the sub.
Good call..... I thought of that as well. Maybe I'll just turn the TV audio on. Also, the volume level of the receiver doesn't matter for the sub right? That is, an LFE signal is an LFE signal....at least i think. I just don't want to have to have the receiver at mid-range volume for it to kick in..

Thanks,

Matt

audrey 08-28-03 12:26 PM

Also, the volume level of the receiver doesn't matter for the sub right? That is, an LFE signal is an LFE signal....at least i think.
No, the receiver's volume setting does effect the LFE; if it didn't, the LFE signal would always be the same loudness regardless of the listening level---that would suck. And if you have your speakers set to "small," then the receiver is feeding the sub more than just the LFE.

KillerQ 08-28-03 01:31 PM

Sorry....

That came out funky.... What i meant was -- regardless of the volume level, will the auto on feature of the sub detect the LFE, etc signal and still turn on? That's french for, if the volume is low, will the sub even turn on? I could try all this out, but i am not at home now....

Thanks,

Matt

audrey 08-28-03 05:13 PM

What i meant was -- regardless of the volume level, will the auto on feature of the sub detect the LFE, etc signal and still turn on? That's french for, if the volume is low, will the sub even turn on?
I suspect the threshold to engage the auto-on varies by sub; if you can hear audio from your mains that should be sufficient.