Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need new SUB. My Velodyne has crapped out.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need recommendations for a SUB.

I purchased a Velodyne (10 in forward firing and 12 in downward radiating) back in 98 or 99. Paid about 600.00

We had a bad storm, straightline winds, earlier this week. The power was off and on (I think a power surge damaged the sub).

The 10 in forward is buzzing like a bastrd. I am going to call about having it worked on, but I am thinking ahead just in case.

I love this sub. It will just about bring the house down (shaking dust from the kitchen cabinets).

I need recommendations for a similarly priced sub.

With its own amp......around 150 to 250 watts, I guess less if the sub is completely enclosed.

I was thinking of one of those Sunfires I used to read about, but that was years ago.

Any recommendations??
Old 07-26-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out SVS. I just read a post saying they have one model going for about $550 and I've heard great things about them. If I didn't live in a townhouse, I think I'd be getting one of those.
Old 07-26-03, 08:05 PM

Here's one you may want to consider:

Adire Audio Dharman

Same output as the $2300-2500 Velodyne HGS-15.

Not too shabby for $599 plus ship.
Old 07-26-03, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by chipmac
Check out SVS. I just read a post saying they have one model going for about $550 and I've heard great things about them. If I didn't live in a townhouse, I think I'd be getting one of those.
Chip,
What sub do you have? As I live in a small apartment, I never got a sub so far, but am considering getting one to listen at low volume levels. Is Acoustic Research s108ps any good for a small apartment? I am concerned about neighbors.
Old 07-26-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a KLH model ASW-120 Powered Sub. I bought it a few years back when I was just building my HT and it only cost $100 on closeout. I read a lot of good reviews of it over at AudioReview.com saying for the price it really coouldn't be beat. For my needs it works well but my ear has improved over the years and I know there are much better ones out there. My HT is in my basement with carpeting over a cement slab and at reference levels it shakes my whole house and can be felt on the third floor in my bedroom. The main reason other than where I live that I never upgraded it is that I do most of my viewing in the middle of the night when others are sleeping. I only turn it on during normal hours of the day when I can really shake the room and when it's off my JBL studio 26 speakers put out enough average bass to make me not miss it.
Old 07-26-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Hsu Research sub. It's one of the best reviewed sub-woofers in it's price range and sounds awesome.

Check out this page for peer reviews:

http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofer...0_2741crx.aspx

They're so popular, not even the manufacturer has them in stock right now.

But, check this out:

http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html

$399 with free shipping
Old 07-26-03, 11:43 PM

i suggest anything by deftech. my dad had an older velodyne that was around $600 or so, and he just had the need to upgrade. he got a deftech supercube I, and he loves it. check out some of their subs, they have some from $350 - $2,000. they are very powerful, and super super clean.
Old 07-27-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another nod to SVS. Couldn't live without mine, and haven't heard anything that will touch 'em yet.
Old 07-27-03, 09:53 PM

Here is another vote for SVS. I have the 16-46 PC+ and am currently amazed at the clarity and the cleanliness of the bass. I have owned this subwoofer for 3 months after upgrading from a Cerwin Vega LW-15 and there is no comparison between the two.
The guys at SVS are really great to work with and they are the only company that I know of on the internet that does not kill you with shipping. My sub shipped from their office in Ohio to Atlanta, Georgia via UPS and was only charged $22.
The only downside to the SVS is that there is too much power for an apartment or townhouse dwelling. My sub is calibrated at less then 1/4 notch up and I hit 85db reference level on my couch 15 feet away. They have less powerful subwoofers available and they will respond with a very accurate opinion of what they feel would be your best sub solution if you email them with a description of your listening area. They never try to oversell you.
Old 07-27-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shroud even though I live in a townhouse your post makes me want to get one anyway. You brought up another point that many times gets overlooked. Again going from what I've heard besides the great quality of their product they're a very good company to deal with and they stand behind their products with great service.
Old 07-28-03, 05:10 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the suggestions. I have a house so neighbors are not a problem. I will check out these subs, starting with SVS.
Old 07-28-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd recommend the Hsu or SVS, but they've already been covered.

if you listen to a lot of music, I'd also recommend an NHT sub. Several of their models are more 'accurate' than the above for cleane rmusical listening, plus they still pack a punch for HT.
Old 07-28-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Love my SVS 20-39!
Old 07-28-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Even though I have a Velodyne sub right now, I would have to put in a vote for SVS since I have heard so many great things about them. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vely, but it's always nice to try out different things

Last edited by steebo777; 07-30-03 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-30-03, 01:02 PM
Cool New Member

SVS 25-31PCi tuned to 22Hz...
Old 07-31-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

try this yamaha sub. Yamaha YST-SW800
I supposedly can hit down to 18hz
link which is on sale at onecall right now.

It got pretty good reviewes and seems like a really good deal for $300. Keep in in mind that the actual RMS of the sub is about 250-300 watts

audioreview

Last edited by Oraphus; 07-31-03 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Avoid Yamaha subs at all cost. 18hz? Audible at the listening position at what...1 db??
Old 08-03-03, 01:58 AM

If you decide to purchase an SVS, please post your experience with it. I watched We Were Soldiers on my SVS since when I purchased the DVD I still had my Cerwin Vega LW-15 and couldn't believe the difference. All of the sounds from the Artillery Explosions to the Napalm scenes sounded so real, I felt like I was right there with Mel!!
I also watched Daredevil in DTS and the sound was so incredible as there is so much heavy bass in that movie. My house was shaking throughout the movie and it felt like it was going to explode when they had the Pipe Organ scene.
Old 08-05-03, 03:52 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Shroud
If you decide to purchase an SVS, please post your experience with it. I watched We Were Soldiers on my SVS since when I purchased the DVD I still had my Cerwin Vega LW-15 and couldn't believe the difference. All of the sounds from the Artillery Explosions to the Napalm scenes sounded so real, I felt like I was right there with Mel!!
I also watched Daredevil in DTS and the sound was so incredible as there is so much heavy bass in that movie. My house was shaking throughout the movie and it felt like it was going to explode when they had the Pipe Organ scene.
Heh...yah Daredevil in DTS owned. My SVS was producing awesome bass through out the entire movie. What really got me was in the intro screen there is this low frequency bass and you could feel it go through my love seat very awesome. I think the best parts in the move were the heart beats in the begining and the last fight scene. Very nice accurate loud bass.

LOTR:FOTR EE also produces some ungodly sweet bass. My favorite scene is when the gang is in balambs tomb and Gandalf just got done reading and the drums start to go off. The third drum hit just owns. Your walls will shake, very nice imo.

Ozzie
Old 08-07-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

SVS

it goes so low my hairs on my legs tingle!!!

outside my House Shakes

love svs.
Old 08-09-03, 11:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't let the fact that you live in a townhouse discourage you from getting an SVS. I live in a large condo, and my SVS 20-39CS does the job quite nicely. It's simply amazing, as others have stated.
Old 08-09-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Officer Cartman
Don't let the fact that you live in a townhouse discourage you from getting an SVS. I live in a large condo, and my SVS 20-39CS does the job quite nicely. It's simply amazing, as others have stated.
Yes but Officer the KLH sub I have now shakes the house.

Seriously I live in an end unit and my HT is in the basement of a three floor townhouse. The firewall between units is made of cinderblock and cement and the HT floor is carpet over the cement floor. At near reference levels the KLH sub rattles the kitchen appliances on the floor above me and the really low rumbles can be felt on the third floor in my bedroom and this is after calibrating it with Avia to set the crossover and volume to the proper levels. I figured that with a SVS putting out lower, tighter and more powerful bass that it would really be too much for a townhome without really making my neighbors POd at me.
Old 08-11-03, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Officer Cartman
The problem is I live in an apartment with neighbors in the floor above me and also on my side. Someone at HTF suggested putting the sub on a concrete block to block the transmission of the sound thru the walls, but I am skeptical.
Old 08-11-03, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
Avoid Yamaha subs at all cost. 18hz? Audible at the listening position at what...1 db??
Maybe that will be good for my apartment?
Old 08-11-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about Klipsch subs? i have one, and am very impressed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.