Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

lcd or plasma?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lcd or plasma?

which is better? i'm weary of buying a plasma tv after hearing that after about 5years burn-in problems will kill the appeal. does lcd have as big problems w/ burn in? reccomend me a specific model of either if you love it . thanks in advance
Old 07-09-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: lcd or plasma?

Originally posted by jkester
which is better? i'm weary of buying a plasma tv after hearing that after about 5years burn-in problems will kill the appeal. does lcd have as big problems w/ burn in? reccomend me a specific model of either if you love it . thanks in advance
I don't believe that burn in will be an issue in 5 years. They have done polls on users at AVS Forum and it's a non-issue.
Old 07-09-03, 11:47 PM

i read something about that in this forum and it's happened to one of my friends. they now have the fox news logo perpetually situated in their right bottom corner . even if the plasma burn-in issue isn't that big, is it more of a non-issue w/ lcd? i was looking at a pioneer elite plasma, but now i'm starting to fall in love with LCDs.
Old 07-10-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the price, LCD all the way. I personally prefer front projection
and am a proud owner of a Runco DLP system. All I can say is WOW! Those of you not looking to spend such a formidable price on home theatre picture should look to LCD or even the Samsung DLP rear projectors.
Old 07-10-03, 12:11 PM

well money isn't the issue, but i don't have much space in this one room so i need to hang this tv on the wall. are there any LCDs in the 50"-60" range? the biggest lcd i've seen is 42"
Old 07-10-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On TechTv, they had burn in issues with a plasma tv after less than 6 months.
Old 07-12-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Samsug and others are supposed to be rolling out 50", 52" and 54' LCD's the December. Native resolution of 1920x1080.

The price tags will probably be in the 10's of K's. They'll come down in a year or so. Best thing to do is hold on to your cash until then. IMO plasma's look nice but have the burn-in drawback.
Old 07-12-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jkester
... even if the plasma burn-in issue isn't that big, is it more of a non-issue w/ lcd? i was looking at a pioneer elite plasma, but now i'm starting to fall in love with LCDs....
Plasma's have phosphors, similar to your TV - hence they WILL and DO burn in. (I have seen plasma burn-in with my own eyes).

LCD's are back lit devices that change the color of light by using what else-- LCD's. These devices do not have any burnin issues because they are not phosphor based.

Drawbacks? Plasma's are active display devices and tend to be brighter than LCD's. LCD manufactures claim to have improved on this in the lab, but I have not seen any hardware yet to make a judgement.

Older generation LCD's had timing and refresh issues. These have been or are being addressed. Response times down to 6ms have been reported. This will allow an easy 60 Hz refresh.

Additional comments: You can buy big plasmas today 60"+. Largest LCD is 42" and it costs a boatload.

Plasma dominates now, LCD will take over in a few years. After that it will be OLED's.

Carbon nano-tube have been announed and displayed, but that technology is still way off.
Old 07-13-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
On TechTv, they had burn in issues with a plasma tv after less than 6 months.
TechTV is totally clueless as to home theater equipment! They continually spew false BS on how HDTV is a scam on the public and to expensive! It OK to spend $500 on a mere video card but spending $1500-2000 on a nice HDTV is to much!

They probably had burn-in problems prematurely because they are so clueless and most likely had the contrast all the way up with a static picture on it most of the time!
Old 07-13-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd get an LCoS display (Liquid Crystal on Silicon). Philips has two of them coming our next month and they are causing quite a stir over @ the AVS forum.

There will be a 44" & a 55". Retail is $3399 for the 44" & $3999 for the 55"! I'm getting one!!!

Here's a link from Philips: Philips Cineos LCoS

Here's a link to some other pics & details:A review with photos

Here's the link to the talk over @ the AVS Forum

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 07-13-03 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-13-03, 04:26 PM

lcos looks nice. i won't be buying until after some remodeling so i have time to wait for better tech.
Old 07-15-03, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

I have seen lcos front and read and they are very nice! Sony has a new front with a simular system

I have not seen a big LCD yet. Do they have motion artifacts? Every small one I have seen does.
Old 07-15-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LCos is still a projection TV and comes with projection TV related problems. Regardless, it is a nice looking set even if you can't hang it on the wall.
Old 07-15-03, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by tacomantt
LCos is still a projection TV and comes with projection TV related problems.
Which problems are we talking about?
Old 07-16-03, 08:35 PM
Rest in Peace

One thing about LyCOS, the bulbs still cost between $350 and $500 bucks a pop.

My Dell I8500 laptap has LCD and one beautiful WSXVGA+, their is only one higher and that's the WUXVGA. Screen configuration is 16 x 10 and 15.4 inches diaginol wide screen L.C.D.